Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The aux plug behind the handlebar seems to be powering devices also when the ignition is off.

Could you confirm if that's a "normal" behavior?

I can see why someone would want it like that but to be honest it feels more of a risk to forget something plugged (even some of those plug adapters with an LED charging indicators) and deplete the battery than anything else...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys,

The aux plug behind the handlebar seems to be powering devices also when the ignition is off.

Could you confirm if that's a "normal" behavior?

I can see why someone would want it like that but to be honest it feels more of a risk to forget something plugged (even some of those plug adapters with an LED charging indicators) and deplete the battery than anything else...
Yup. Always on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you think it's overly complex to wire it to be behind the ignition? (ie provides power only when the ignition is on)

·
Registered
4 Posts
At the GT Pro there are three aux plugs

1 At the handlebare there is always power
2 On the sidepanel only if the Ignition key is "On"
3 The USB-Plug under the seat has only power if the engine is runing

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the GT Pro there are three aux plugs

1 At the handlebare there is always power
2 On the sidepanel only if the Ignition key is "On"
3 The USB-Plug under the seat has only power if the engine is runing
That's useful to know. But I agree with Barely and can't understand why Triumph did it that way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
And what is the rationale for the USB-Plug under the seat only getting power if the engine is runing? What is the likelihood of the bike battery getting drained by charging a phone?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thats an aftermarket solution to the problem. In fact Triumph should provide this basic facility which every rider needs in this day and age. Not providing it in a premium £12800 bike is an oversight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thats an aftermarket solution to the problem. In fact Triumph should provide this basic facility which every rider needs in this day and age. Not providing it in a premium £12800 bike is an oversight.
To be fair, the DIN sockets provide a good all round option. They can run kit with a high power drain like heated clothing, tyre inflators etc but you still have the option of plugging in a USB adaptor for phones etc. If they'd made them dedicated USB chargers you'd lose the option to power higher draw accessories. And there is always the dedicated USB socket under the seat. I'd say Triumph did a reasonable job of covering all the bases.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts