Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, I'm new to this board, just picked up an '06 Sprint as my second ride (kinda, more like my one up, moderate range ride)... sweet bike, but the headlights at night really suck. Like many have said in other threads, they are OK on straits, but where I live those are few and far between :cool: . The scary part is the abundance of big furry***** that lurks in all these curves :eek:

I have tried searching some and have come up with nada on the subject of aux. lighting here. I'm looking to do something similar to what I did on my ST1300, with 35w fork mount driving lights slaved low, and 910's hung under the mirrors slaved high.

I would really appreciate some input on product and implementation options you have tried, seen, etc... and any options for upgrading the factory lamps as well. I'm considering the PIAA H7's that supposedly draw 55w, but yield an effective view of 110 :???:

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi GRN, welcome aboard. I haven't had my Triumph long, but have found this site to be a tremendous source of information. The guys are all really friendly and helpful,and knowledgeable too! You've made a great choice of bike.

I have no experience of the Touratech lights shown here,
Touratech but a friend has them fitted to his BMW R1200GS, and he thinks they're great. He does a lot of night riding on unlit twisty roads, and he's not slow!

Good luck. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Howdy guys....long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I'm looking to purchase a new ST in the coming months, and have been researching the forum and other sites to find general knowledge, tips, and mods for the ST. I came off an Aprilia Falco - so be gentle with me!

I was thumbing the AEROSTICH catalog last nite, and came across this:
http://search.aerostich.com/search?...productprice.productsku&restrict=Static&q=HID

I have NO experience with this setup, so please take this under advisement - but it looks.....interesting. I also dig the 4" Aux Mounted HID PIAA kit for $897, but that IS a bit pricey!! PIAA....go figure.

Great topic - can't wait to see more replies.
rgds,
boomer :-D

B

·
0 Posts
Minor Retraction statement:

I don't know if this system will work on PROJECTOR BEAM lights.

I'll do some more research and repost.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Replace the projectors..

Bixenon... H & L beam projectors..

They come seperate or with bulbs and ballasts..

There are other models and sources..

I think changing the projectors in the capsule looks better than bolting lights off to the side somewhere.. There are HID projectors from cars that were OEM HID that have amazing performance..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2006-11-17 14:32, MNSpintST wrote:
Replace the projectors..

Bixenon... H & L beam projectors..

They come seperate or with bulbs and ballasts..

There are other models and sources..

I think changing the projectors in the capsule looks better than bolting lights off to the side somewhere.. There are HID projectors from cars that were OEM HID that have amazing performance..
I'm with ya on using the existing mounts, as long as the bottom line gets covered. These projectors really suck... I can't believe how hard of a line they create on the top of the beam. On the ST13 the 910's aren't bad the way they mount under the mirror, but I can't imaging tryng to make somthing like that work on the Sprint. So with a pair of something like this working H/L, you could set up the center as always on... more or less a bright marker, or run all 3 H/L. Are the projectors a standard size, or sizes that you match, or are you looking for something close and moding to fit? Sorry to be DUM here, HID is virgin turf for me. Thanks :-D

·
Registered
282 Posts
HID Forum Projector Dimensions

HID Forum Projector Reference Page (ID Photos)

Having a sharp cutoff is nice.. When correctly aimed. It means you can direct alot of light where you can but keep it below eye level of oncomming traffic.. If you want to blur the cuttoff line a bit use a frensel lens.. Its on the forum linked to...

The stock lights are aimed too low and are focused to narrow.. Also on a bike when you lean the cut off does the opposite of what you want. It aims higher on the outside of the corner and aims lower on the inside.

In order to fix this I am looking at either tilting projectors with servos controlled by a micro gyro.. The cutoff line will stay level even when the bike is'nt. The gyro and servo setup will work. I rig a test setup.. Not on lights but a board. It just moves the servo arm to level. I have bubble and gyro on the servo arm. It basically adjusts the servo untill the gyro is level again.. This takes care of adjusting the cuttoff for the lean angle.

I am mulling over steering the lights and leveling/stabilizing them. The verical stabilizing will be just moving a small portion of the cutoff sheild. This is to reduce the vertical movement of the cutoff on bumps.

I'm still looking at projectors.. I am trying to find something that fits good and I can readilly get more of. This way if ppl like my lights I can make more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for helping me get up to speed MN... a thought I had while driving home last night... if the design of the exisiting setup allows enough movement/clearance, simply cross the beams so that your highside ends up aimed to your inside line while cornering.

Gyros eh... that's a wild idea man.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gyros-- Microgyros to be exact.

They are small and light.. For RC planes and helis

To level the cutoff or in other words account for lean a heading hold gyro will be used. The gyro will be mounted to the servo arm so that its body is always at the same angle as the servo and beam cutoff.. Since I am working on stabilizing the light not the rest of the bike.. A heading hold always adjusts the servo to line up the internal gyro to where it was set. So basically it will act like a bubble level except not effected by centrifugal force or accleration/deccel g's.

To dampen out some beam bounce a non heading hold gyro will be used. This is'nt that hard either...

Hard parts and the last tricks I am going to attempt..

If I get into steering linked lights the most basic system would turn based on lean angle. This is aiming around the corner as opossed to "counter-leaning" the lights. For the best system it will take alot more to do it right. A controller watching the speedo will need to be set for low speed steering vs counter steering at speed.. For the low speed steering I'd need a sensor to watch the angle at the head. A simpler way would be going to a direction appropriate standard light turn setting when the turn signals are engaged. However watching the steering head at low speed would point them where you are going.

For higher speed steering (high as in counter &/or body steering zone) a lateral accelerometer combined with the speedo should do the trick. The controller could be programmed for computing the arc from the lateral gs and the speed.

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-21 04:26 ]

W

·
0 Posts
Motolights makes a nice set-up...machined billet, 35W standard with a 55W upgrade and nice sano brake caliper mount. About $375.00 for the kit, includes wires and relay. Supposedly a hit with the Bimmer crowd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts