Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally get to go for a ride once per month and therfore do a reasonable distance
this LD riding has meant that I need to ride at nights
the Triumph Sprint is not noted for excellent standard lights and so I have been researching auxiliary lights for some time
2 weeks ago we installed 1 HID 180mm light above the standard headlights
I did the Snowy Ride on the weekend and therefore left Lismore at midnight Thursday to get to Canberra on Friday afternoon
I am very impressed with the light and so was at least 1 driver who did not dim his lights for me

this side shot shows the bracket, we used the mirror mounts, and the frame has been powder coated

there was room on the bracket so I bought a pack of 2 Roo Shoos

yes, I know that there is no evidence for their efficacy but I am happy to test them
I noticed more birds flying up in front of me on this trip
so can I assume that they work

I did not notice any skippys between Goondiwindi-Tenterfield-Lismore
so that may be further supporting evidence

couple more photos

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Holy sh!t dude!

You don't need half the power of the sun strapped to the front of your Sprint!

Nice work though...

--Kory

·
Registered
99 Posts
That looks like quite the flamethrower!

I have been looking into aux hid lighting myself.

I am leaning towards these - http://www.trailtech.net/4212-SX.html

But I am concerned with the low output of the sprints alternator.

I run heated clothing and grips. From what I can calculate I do not have enough juice to run it all at the same time.

I have played around quite a bit with light aiming and think that I will try the osram nightbreakers before I drill holes and mount hid lamps.

If I thought the alternator would handle it I would have done something hid already……

Off topic - what windscreen are you using on your sprint?
It appears much taller/wider than the triumph aero I have.
I would love to get a little more protection and less wind noise.
With the screen you have I bet my 5'4" body would well protected.
Please let me know what/where you got that windscreen.

Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Shoen,

Don't use the trailtechs they suck. At the shop I hang out at we run a 100% failure rate on them. And getting them fixed on warranty takes forever.

check out the soltek fuego lights. I will try to post pictures later.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Ok, for those of us that are not antipodean, what on Earth are "roo shoos"??

Has anyone tried putting 100W bulbs in the standard lights and seeing how that works?

·
Registered
441 Posts
100 watt lights will add a bit of light, the truth is you need to do an HID upgrade but that doesn't fix much. Aux lights are the only way to see in the corners.

One guy I ride with has done a 55 watt hid upgrade and it is not much better than the 35 watt. So in essence it is not the bulb but the projector lens that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Oh dear, my ignorance knows no bounds! What are deer whistles? Are all of these some kind of noise making gadgets and if so, does the noise not drive you mad while riding??

·
Registered
441 Posts
Deer whistles are supposed to scare the deer away. They don't work.

So:

fjr low beam

fjr high beam

fjr with soltek's added

So how would you like your deer cooked?:D

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Wow, those add on lights of yours are impressive, there is a serious difference there! I put driving lights (BIG Hellas) on my Discovery - never thought about adding to the bike - and seeing at night sure would be nice! LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HID light

yes, the alternator output is marginal
I had an auto electrician mate scope this job to make sure that the HID aux light was the better option then the HID bulb upgrades
we didn't drill holes but made the bracket/frame to fit on the mirror stalks (2 bolts on stalks either side)
my night vision is now almost like the photo supplied by garyhjd but I believe that guy has 2 HID lights
and I have yet to fine tune the aiming of the light

screen is from Eagle Screens, western australia http://www.eaglescreens.com.au/
the extended touring screen
the fit was not as good as I expected but I have a mate with a plane and we did a bit of shaving
I'm 5'7" and got the screen cause I want to do long days/rides

yes, Shoo Roos are little plastic ultrasonic whistles that are supposed to scare the skippys away
humnas don't hear the whistle

·
Registered
441 Posts
The fjr is not mine, I found the pics on a different forum when searching for aux lights. The trail techs just do not work so looked for others. I ended up with hella lights on my bike. I love the baja designs feugo's but they are bit spendy. Oh and that is an extra 200 watts of hid light in those pictures.

For me the next step is to add a set of Hella ff50 lights mounted below the mirrors converted to hid's. They should making riding at night actually doable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
200 watts of HID light

wow

I thought that my 55 watts HID was good enough for night riding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blmy....tell me that you are taking the mikey with that light! :( Somehow it doesn't quite fit the styling of the bike.

It's funny how people perceive lights... the bike mags over in the UK said the ST had the best lights on any bike back in 2005!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jaystride

I'm not taking the mickey just interested in having decent vision when I travel at night - from midnight to daylight.

I won't comment on the mike mags in the UK other then to suggest a) the is probably more environmental light then in Oz and
b) there have been a lot of threads in this forum complainting about the '05+ Sprint lights - maybe real life is different from the UK bike mag testing roads

·
Registered
52 Posts
Isn't it funny that the headlights issue seems to be one of the biggest gripes and they say the 08 has new and improved headlights but can't find any info onthem, personally the best bike i've had for headlight vision is my last bike a 06 VFR those lamps on the trumpy would compltete the package IMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts