Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a tube of Autosol metal polish. I was planning to use it on my pipes and headers...but read that it leaves a protective film. So the question is have any of you used it on your exhaust system with good results? My worries are that the "film" would damage the surface of the aluminum once heated to high temperatures...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't comment on the Autosol, but I'd recommend Blue Job as well. Works as advertised.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Solvol Autosol

In my opinion it's good stuff if used correctly. Excellent on aluminium & for cleaning up surface rusted chrome as it leaves a high shine on both but don't use often on chrome as it's a little abrasive - even if quite fine.

for chrome I've had very good results from a product called duraglit
which is non abrasive and works particularly well on chrome surfaces.

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
+1 davids

Solvolautosol is a very old metal polish and one I have used on all my bikes for over 30 years. It is one of the best around.

I do not believe it will hurt bare metal like Stainless steel or others, I would think your headers are Stainless steel but check.

I also would not use it on chrome use a chrome polish.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had good luck with autosol on my exhaust but as with any polish, I do not recommend hand polishing as it takes forever and you'll be sore by the time you are done with the entire header and slip-on. I plan to get some gaskets from the dealer, port my header and polish it with a machine and some small buffing pads. A drill with a 'powerball' will likely work best due to it's ability to get into tighter areas.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Solvolautosol is a very old metal polish and one I have used on all my bikes for over 30 years. It is one of the best around.

I do not believe it will hurt bare metal like Stainless steel or others, I would think your headers are Stainless steel but check.

I also would not use it on chrome use a chrome polish.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:
I totally agree, I used it on my '72 Tiger's & Bonnie's in the mid '70's and man those engine cases's came up like mirror's. It certainly won't damage your headers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts