Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are our Australian members doing?
A guy on the Gibson guitar forum says it's unreal with the fires after 3 years of drought.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Everything will work out and lucky we are getting rain where its needed, down south there are still fires burning but they also been getting some good rain but not enough to put the major fires out but will slow it down so the firies can do their stuff, as well the rain will start life all over again in the burned out areas, but it will take time to heal.
Drought, bush fires and wet sessions are all part of Australian life, yes its sad that its the worst one ever but Aussies are a strong mob and everyone will pull together even if the GOV is slow to do things or won't addmit there is a problem.
Life goes on and the rebuilding will start over again, the smoke will settle down and life will keep going, its all part of living in a dry country.
A big thank you to our brave firies and to the rest of the world for sending help when we need it, just wish all the trouble spots in the world could work together when needed.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
24,281 Posts
Looks like the worst of it is passed, lives and property lost and a huge ecological cost.

Like Ashley said there will be a lengthy recovery and still some fires burning. In South east Queensland we have had a fair bit of rain over the weekend which has made it a bit better for the fire fighters.

Thank you to all the folks local and international that sent help.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
In North Queensland we a few fires with a few homes lost a few months ago but not like down south.
Thanks to all the fire fighters and volunteers who did a great job.

Kap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The wetlands behind my place have dried up and turned to tinder however the rain this week will sort it . Thanks to everyone fighting on the fire fronts.
Went for a ride in the hills today NNSW , trees burnt on the hillsides ready To fall on the road.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeh.. We copped it in December over here in Western Australia and to see the flames over the trees heading straight for your house.. well let's just say I don't want that experience again in a hurry..
MASSIVE respect to the Fireys and the helitac crews. +45°c days and they were smashing the firefront day and night for the best part of a week.. 1 home lost and a petrol station.. Amazing work. We got lucky.. it's you poor guys over east that copped the worst of it. Let's hope it's heading towards the end..
I took a bimble through the firegrounds a week or so afterwards..

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. The outpouring of emotional and financial support has been amazing. Whilst we have not had significant displacement here near Ipswich the aftermath (smoke and haze) has been significant. I can't imagine how bad it is down south.

My brother in law and his family live around Bright (Mt Buffalo region) and they have had to evacuate 3 times to date. The damage has been insurmountable and unfathomable but the community spirit remains strong.

I myself tried to volunteer to go down to NSW but my Blue Card and Police Check weren't up to date so unfortunately couldn't volunteer at that stage.

Casey Stoner (MotoGP) is auctioning his leathers to donate the proceeds to the Red Cross. Jack Miller (MotoGP) auctioned his helmet and raised $8,000. My son is doing a live cast (challenges over 24 hours with interviews with those affected by the fires) to fund raise next week with the donations going to Red Cross.

Danyool Live Stream Red Cross Appeal mods - please delete if this is not allowed.

Everybody has been so generous - it is really heart warming. Thanks go to the many volunteer fire fighters - especially to those who gave their lives :(

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Good news, rain has been falling heavy out West and South East Queensland and Northern NSW and in the next few days will be moving down South into Victoria in most place where the fires are still burning, this rain is going to be around for a week with some places expecting/getting 200mm and some place even up to 400mm, out in some of our drought areas in West Queensland they have had some heavy rain and there is more coming, the inland sea from flood water is filling and a lot of drought stricken farms where their kids have never seen rain are all lapping it up.
In my home town of Brisbane, S.E. Queensland we have been having some good light showers but its expected to come down heavy tonight and into next week, this is our normal wet session Feb/March/April so hopefully it will help our drought stricken and bush fire areas, once the rain hits the bush fire areas new groth will start to bring life back to the bush that was deverstated from the fires, so fingers crossed, bring it down.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You should have seen Yellowstone after the fire in '88...and now. It'll grow back. The forest accumulates too much fuel...it gets dry... it burns. It is tragic when folks get in the way and are affected by it. But it will grow back and, at some point, it'll happen again.

It's just the way of the natural world.

Aussies are tough. We love you guys. You will get through this and carry on.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
You should have seen Yellowstone after the fire in '88...and now. It'll grow back. The forest accumulates too much fuel...it gets dry... it burns. It is tragic when folks get in the way and are affected by it. But it will grow back and, at some point, it'll happen again.

It's just the way of the natural world.
we will get through it, the worse is over and there has been rain. the bush will recover and re-grow, it always does and some tree species here need fire so that their seeds germinate. we will probably end up getting flash floods from too much rain

there have been a few deaths that will tragically affect some families for forever, and it was heartbreaking that three fire fighters from the USA, good people who came all the way here to help were killed fighting the fires when their plane went down

Australia has been through the same before, I well remember the ash wednesday 1983 fires that were devastating in Victoria and more recently the black saturday 2009 fires when over a 170 people in Victoria were killed and my grand parents often mentioned the black friday 1939 fires where flames were leaping from mountain top to mountain top across valleys in the country town where they lived

at work yesterday my boss was showing me video of the fires where he holidays at Mallacoota, a coastal town on the south east Victorian coast that is surrounded my forest. the navy ended up evacuating the town by ship that involved an 8 hour voyage to safety. he left his boat moored in the estuary and his caravan parked near the foreshore. he was finally allowed back last weekend to retrieve his items. the boat awning is full of holes due to ember attack but otherwise fine (lucky as it had over 200 litres of fuel aboard) and his caravan is smoked stained and covered in ash, but will clean up ok. worse for him was the fridge full of putrid food after three weeks with no power. the town was saved but a few outlying houses were lost.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Well the rain came down heavy last night where I am and its still pissing down, we are expecting one months of rain in the next few days for at lease a week, but out west its starting to flood but the ground is so dry even after the flooding it will need follow up rain to really break the drought, but the farm dams and town dams are filling and the bush will recover quickly and hopefully the inland sea from flood water will reach the Darling and Murry river system, it will bring life back to the country but we will need follow up rain for it to be drought breaking.
Hot and dry one day wet and cool the next and its been like this for thousands of years here in Australia.
And yes we are a tough bunch here and we all stick together when in need as well getting a helping hand from our friends around the world, life is great down under but it can also be very hard and will bite you on the arse if you don't watch out and take notice what is happening around you.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Well we are still getting good rain falls here and down the Southern states well over 400mm in most places and down NSW they are saying all bush fire will be out before the weekend which is good news, from bush fires one week to flooding the next, and now in places they had big fires the bush is coming back to life with the rain, our bush recovers quickly after fire and rain, just wish the people who lost their house could recover the same way, but with everyone sticking together and getting surport they will recover from their lost.
Sydney is copping a big rain falls and experiencing local flooding in places they haven't been flooded before.
The farmers who haven't seen rain for years are lapping all the rain up although they are experiencing floods in places they are all smiling and their kids are having fun playing in the water and mud, but there are places still missing out on it but fingers cross they will get some soon as more is on the way, and hopefully we will have a good wet season.

Ashley

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Tassie has only had around 40 fires so far. Two people charged with lighting fires last week on a Total Fire ban day.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Victoria is apparently still on fire
Yes not all areas are getting rain and in some places the farmers are getting lots of rain but their neighbours are missing out, its like gambling its the luck of the dice who is getting it and now there is a Cyclone 1400kms off our east coast that will have another affect on our weather here, we had sunshine yesterday but last night and this morning its pissing down again.
So a week of solid rain and more is coming, a new rear tyre on my Thruxton and its been raining since that I haven't bedded it in yet and no longer working I am trapped in the house or shed running out of things to do while keeping dry, but its so good with the rain we been getting and its so loud on my iron roof at times I can't hear my music.

Ashley

1 - 20 of 22 Posts