Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know, I'm currently less-employed. I say less-employed, rather than unemployed because I'm working at a friend's restaurant but I have loads of free time.

My cousin is in the USMC stationed in Camp Pendleton and I'm thinking of riding out there. I have free places to stay, with friends, in El Paso, Phoenix, and So Cal. Basically all the trip will cost me is gas, food, and booze.

Is there anyone along the way that is willing to let me shack up on their couch or use their garage for tuning/tweaking/etc? Maybe just an emergency number to call in case something bad happens?

I figure it will take me a day to do Austin to El Paso, another day for El Paso to Phoenix, and then another day for Phoenix to So Cal. So I figure 3 days each way, plus I hope to spend 3-4 days there, so maybe 9-10 days total.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sweat,
I have a spare bedroom just minutes off I-10 in Tucson.
Great riding around here. Could meet you in Benson and show you around. It would be a shame if you haven't seen some of the local "spots", to just ride by on the Interstate!
Don't know if I can keep up with your 'gruber machine tho!
Allin...

·
29,948 Posts
If I was on that route, I would be on for you, as it is all I can offer for this particular trip is best wishes! I'm sure some folks will step up.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You got it...
Tombstone, Historic Bisbee, Sonoita Wine Country, Patagonia, Arivaca as well as Mt Lemmon await you...
(Time willing)... I got a day job... Weekends are FREE!

·
29,948 Posts
Sounds allright doesn't it? If I truck my bike down there out of the frozen tundra that is Minnesota can I come and join in too?

Hell I started typing that for fun, but it actually sounds like a reasonable idea. Might consider a road trip south somewhere for winter 09. :D

Well, there I go getting off topic again. Have fun guys.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Tripping

I envy you the trip dude, it sounds like you are going to have a great time, don't forget the camera! we'll all expect a good series of photo's from the trip.....
Have fun, and with a little help from your friends you will have a nice time and meet some of the nicest people on earth, Rats riding Triumphs!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sounds allright doesn't it? If I truck my bike down there out of the frozen tundra that is Minnesota can I come and join in too?

Hell I started typing that for fun, but it actually sounds like a reasonable idea. Might consider a road trip south somewhere for winter 09. :D

Well, there I go getting off topic again. Have fun guys.
Fun? You got that right! Off topic.. NO!
If you can't make it down southern AZ in '09 then plan on meeting me in the Black Hills of South Dakota next summer!
I'll be there... Know the roads, as I used to live there...
Hope your mod's are coming along...
How's the cat and Happy New Year to you and all!

·
29,948 Posts
You are on Sir!

Let me know when, and I'll see about meeting up with ya. Got to admit, planning on trucking the bike somewhere dec 09 / Jan 10 seems like a worthwhile thing to get on the planning calendar! :D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a garage you can use. Im about a hour north of the Oceanside.

Id take the 10, to the 8, to the 5 north...IMO, best route.
thanks for the offer!

This is still in the "idea" stage, I need to save some bucks first. I'll hit you up for contact info when the time comes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm crossing the US again this summer - the northern route this time.

Sweatmachine - I know finances are tight, but heated gear (at least a jacket liner and gloves) make it possible to enjoy the ride (as apposed to survive the ride) this time of year. I froze my butt off coming back across Texas!

Best of luck,
Kevin

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Sweat,

I'm probably a little far north for you but if anything happens or you need a hand, I'm in Rio Rancho, NM just north of Albuquerque. I presume that you'll take the I -10 all the way. If you decide to come a little north to the 40 I'm not much further. I wouldn't though, I'd stay as far south as you can go. To cold above Soccoro this time of year to be comfortable. Hollar at me if you need my phone or address. I got a big sofa bed in the computer room your welcome to.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
518 Posts
you know, Sweat, there's a guy on another forum planning the same trip. maybe you could hook up....;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
good luck

i just moved out here-encinitas from dallas -and if you feel like riding or need some tools when you get here then give a shout.
bisbee is really something special.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sweat, if you wait till Spring you could make it to the Bash... But either way when you get out here, look me up. We're about 20 minutes from Pendelton and first beers on me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Was stationed at Camp Pen for a few years. Two rides you should do:

1. From Fallbrook just outside of Camp Pen to Temecula via De Luz Road. Unless they've ruined it somehow over the years since I've been gone, it's a wonderful motorcycle road. Incredibly twisty, narrow two-lane. Don't get too crazy on speed, there's some real tight turns and some interesting water crossings where they just put concrete down and let the water run over the road instead of putting in a bridge. Only a few inches deep, normally, but pretty slick. Still, other than those -it's awesome. I used to live only a couple of hundred yards from the Fallbrook end of that road and it was my basic weekend ride.

2. Mount Palomar & Julian. Julian is an old-time town, famous for apples and a great bakery. Absolutely jammed with tourists every weekend. Mount Palomar has an observatory atop. You can ride from the beach to over 6,000' on a terrific twisty road. Out the back side of Palomar is a road through the canyon and out into the desert. That's where my buddy proved his 1100 had more suds than my 750 Suzuki... On a long straight stretch. Yes, the CHP knows of this road...

Of all the years I lived in So-Cal, those were hands down my two favorite roads and I did them many times. Enjoy! I'd love to get down there and run the Scrambler over 'em now, 15 years later.

Regards, Guy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts