Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
30,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, anyone into good quality audio here?

I'm not really an audiophile, but I do have somewhat of a passion for the medium known as "records" - called vinyl these days. Ugh. Such a nasty term.

I currently run a Rega Planar 2 turntable with Rega Bias cartridge, through a Creek CAS4040 integrated amplifier, which used to drive a pair of Royd Coniston speakers, but they died several years ago, and I replaced them with a pair of (cheap) yamaha floorstanding speakers. I didn't worry unduly about the quality of the speakers at the time, because the house I was living in really was no good acoustically anyway.

So anyway, I am hoping to upgrade the system somewhat. I'm thinking of upgrading to tube type amplification - a Jolida JD502B integrated amp, fed by either a Jolida JD9A or Pro Ject tube box SE II pre amp, and also the speakers - hopefully to a pair of Rega RS3 floor standing speakers.

It's a hefty upgrade, but I'm thinking it should sound pretty damn good.

If I am able to do it, then next year I may well upgrade the tunrtable to a Rega P5. That would be fabbo.

Anyway - anyone else into decent audio, and if so what's your setup, and do you have any knowledge of the components I have laid out above?

·
30,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Expand your mind, and become open to new experiences......

Or something like that. Figured I'd chuck it on the forum and see what people have.

Naturally I have already surfed the audio forums for responses. There are some heated debates therein, oh my word yes.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I used to be, but truth be told my hearing is pretty much shot. To many loud bikes/cars/boats/guns/car stereos/concerts in my youth I guess.

These days, few even know what audiophile means. In a world where an ipod hooked to Bose speakers is considered 'quality', they'll never understand the warmth of sound you get from a set of planers and tubes.

Analog was and is still the only way to go for the best experience!

Once upon a time, I ran a set of Eminent Technology planers powered by a restored Harmon Kardon amp pushed by a set of matched KT-88 output tubes. Barely enough power for those speakers as they were crazy-inefficient, but it was magic. I later switched to a modified Carver M500 amp for more power, but it was never as smooth as the tubes.

I ran an audio alchemy CD transport and D/A converter, but they were no match for the best full-floating turn tables. I still recall listening to a recording of 'Wreck of the Ella Fitzgerald' at a high-end shop on the north side of Indy. I don't remember the equipment, other than the turn table had a small compressor mounted in another room to 'float' the platter, and the amps were dual mono Counterpoints (which was what I was there shopping for but didn't have the coin). I do remember it was the single best listening experience I've had.

These days, I have a crappy Dennon home theater receiver hooked to a set of Anthony Gallo satellites. I bought them years ago when I lived on a boat and needed something compact. A couple years ago we talked about redesigning a room in the house to handle some nice gear, but really I just don't listen anymore and I would be crazy to spend that kind of money on the equipment again.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
My father in law has something called a naim audio system. we're not allowed to even rest anything on the speaker!

·
30,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naim make some damn fine audio equipment!

Zelatore - I hear ya loud and clear! I have not been properly "listening" to music for some time now, but the time has come to set the system up properly, listen for a while, and then do the upgrade and just experience the FULLNESS of real sound once again.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
My hearing is no longer good enough to justify spending large sums of money on sound systems (too many years listening to a squeaky break). But I still have a J.A. Mitchell turntable with Linn LVX arm and my KEF C40 floor speakers. Speakers sit on 1" thick steel plate.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've always wanted to go overboard on audio equipment, i never found the right combination of need vs. priorities. I did however try on a few occasions over the years to try and recreate audiophile type quality with a unique assortment of musical gear. Using everything from tube driven 400w Ampeg heads running through an assortment of eq's and compressors, mixing boards and such. Output through either Marshall stacks or Alesis studio monitors. The source was usually tape or cd with the occasional DAT. A lot of fun, and was able to really enjoy the music far more than i would have otherwise. Good luck on your quest and enjoy

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Seriously
For me J.A. Mitchell turntable Phase Linear and two Bose 901's (I know, old school)
Tubes in this audio function? I'm not sure.
In my stable otherwise; Fender `68 Super Reverb, `64 Vibroverb 15"
`79 Marshall JCM800 50W yes, tubes will never die!

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
anoraks, that what you all are.........Do any of you have wives/GF? for goodness sakes!!

I still love you all though!

·
30,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think I could be talking about spending 3 grand on a record playing set up if I was married? Sheesh, I'd be forced to spend it on carpet or paint or something else utterly pointless.

Or shoes.

I shall have a room, with the Hi Fi, and some pictures of aeroplanes. And a single chair in it.

And it shall be very, very good.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
errr, not if you where married to me....stereo surrond, vinyl, I migh let you look at my collection of 12" if you are lucky. Hey don't you paint every woman with the same brush.......

Edited to add, My lounge is set up with surround sound, my son has surround in his den (he knows his stuff). We have a huge collection of Vinyl, we like our music in this household.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would have to agree that records sound way better than discs. My records are all in the basement, along with my record player. Hopefully next year I will get around to getting a decent, albeit cheap new record player. As for a tube amp, (dare to dream) I would be getting a marshall for my guitar first. The last new record I bought was the stones steel wheels album. I paid .99 cents for it and mixed emotions was #1 in the charts at the time. Oh, how I long for those carefree teenage years.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Yes well, these days my listening pleasure is pretty much dictated by if Im home alone , in my car, in my shed. Otherwise nothing overloud or a bit heavy sort of thing is possibble unless I put on headphones. +1 to hearing not what it was and having to justify more spending on my part.

So mainly ipod or laptop through amp and speakers of reasonable quality in house, shed and car is the convenient compromise.

I must say theres a lot to be said for sinking into a leather arm chair
dimming the lights and just sitting back with a bottle of something nice while listening to a never ending stream of your favourites! after the first few drinks It sounds pretty darn good to me.:D

·
30,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You got that right Mark.

cds - I don't know what your budget would be - but dare to dream!

Check out the needle doctor, and look at the Rega P1 and Jolida tube amps - an incredibly good price combo. You do need a pre amp for the Jolidas, but needledoctor has many options for phono pre amps.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

I know there a re canadian retailers for these products too.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
You got that right Mark.

cds - I don't know what your budget would be - but dare to dream!

Check out the needle doctor, and look at the Rega P1 and Jolida tube amps - an incredibly good price combo. You do need a pre amp for the Jolidas, but needledoctor has many options for phono pre amps.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

I know there a re canadian retailers for these products too.
I do have dozens of cds and vinyls and have put them all into Itunes but wouldnt rule out a better set up in my future. I really need new leathers and some mods on the Sprint oh and I have a new rifle on order and saving for a holiday, champagne taste lol.:D

was the Canadian retailer reference for me? coz its a long way from Brisbane :confused:

·
Registered
240 Posts
guess i'm more of a sound-nut than a real audiophile.

i like creating my own enclosures and trying diff speaker/crossover combinations, but i just use cheap gear. can't really see myself droppin $5k on a pair...muchless $40k on somethin that can push 20hz at 110+db (that's a lifetime of bikes and other hobbies for me!). although i know a sweet tube/turntable can warm souls in January, i'm ok with digital if it's done well. i love music of many types and think mp3 is the devil's work, lol, but i'm mainly focused on getting as life-like clairity as i can while overbuilding my system to eliminate distortion.

i've got a very well-tuned set up for movies in my livingroom which is crystal clear but also far exceeds my poor house's ability to absorb low end... already losened several drywall panels :( .

i can't really comment on which upgrades you should add to your system, but i can tell ya how fun it is (esp for the lady of the house :D ) to build a bed around a 385w class-D powered JL DVC sub with over 5cft of air to play with, lol.

good luck mate!

1 - 20 of 270 Posts