Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home from work today and I saw this jaguar swing a quick U-turn and barrel up to me at the next light. He proceeds to roll his window down and scream out "Nice Bike! Finally somebody that has enough sense to purchase a real motorcycle. When did Triumph start making bikes again?"

The gentleman was probably in his mid-50's and probably has a story or two about his first Triumph. All I could get out was a quick "thank-you" and "yes, the do make Triumph's and you can take a look at their linup at BMW Cycles in Plano."

I probably could post a similiar account at least once a week but this one was really unusual. I have never had anyone do a U-turn and almost run me down trying to get a closer look at my bike.

Kevin...

[ This message was edited by: schwartzkm on 2006-04-18 18:06 ]

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
There's some real parallels with the Jags and the Triumphs.
A buddy of mine had a sea foam green bathtub 72 Jag. Basically drove it from dealer to dealer. Changing the oil was like a heart transplant. It was a beautiful, exotic, money sucking piece of outmoded engineering. A Brit based pilot for Northwest Airlines bought it from my pal, and returned it to the old sod; hopefully to be refurbished, but maybe to be buried.

·
Banned
179 Posts
I had a woman in her late 40s give me the thumbs up the other day. I'm not sure if she was referring to the bike, the Scottish flag on my jacket, or my license plate, which reads "CURE."

·
Registered
139 Posts
tba-golfer,

Sadly true of the Jags from the 70's on until the recent past. Your buddy's E-type had the 5.4 litre V-12 in it. A real POS! That engine and a lot of other garbage was added to the car because of the emissions and safety laws passed in the US.

However, the Jags (XK's & E-Type's) of the 50's & 60's with the 3.8 & 4.2 litre DOHC sixes were very reliable and a whole lot faster than the V-12. Not to mention better looking and better handling. I own a "65 E-Type roadster and wouldn't think twice about hopping in it and driving it across the county.

Cogito ergo equito

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw a great bumper sticker on an old Jag once:

The parts you see falling off this car are the finest English made.

Ha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts