Votes: 9 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATGATT...all the gear all the time...including a full-face helmet

I'm a pretty big proponent of this. Fully armored jacket, MC specific boots, full face helmet, riding pants or kevlar jeans with knee pads underneath at the very least.

I was just wondering what percentage of the riders out there are ATGATT.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Added questions

It would be interesting if responders would state their age and aslo if they have ever dumped their bike at speed.

I voted all the time, age 60+ and have crashed at speed long before street gear was around.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true. I'm 31, but have 2 kids. I want to be around, and ambulatory for a while if possible.

also, the possibilty of skin grafts scares the hell out of me.

I know gear won't necessarily save my life if the crash is severe enough, but still, why take chances when there is so much good gear out there?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I ride now with all the gear i have.
Minus good armoured riding pants which i am going to buy this weekend.
Also looking at icon's chest and back protector.
I recently took a dive at 45, my cortech jacket got shredded on the left shoulder.
The armour saved me as did the Shoei helmet.
I can't imagine what my shoulder would look like now if i was wearing just a TSHIRT. As it was i seperated the shoulder.
All the best John.
ps i am 42 years old and want to be 43 some day:)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Admittedly, I am a bit fatalistic on this. The one near-fatal crash I have had - no gear available would have helped me, as the injuries were all internal.
The inherent dangers of motorcycling are stark, and good riding practices and skills will go far toward success in the long run. Oh, I am 56 and a long-time motorcyclist.

·
Registered
489 Posts
56 Year old, been riding on the street 41 years this coming August with no breaks. One crash in 1974, totaled a V7 Sport Guzzi and was wearing helmet and full leathers.

Now

Helmet, full face 100%

Jacket with armor 95%

gloves with Kevler 95%

Riding Pants with Armor 0%

Boots 20%

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
In town I wear my Scorpion EX100 helmet which is really nice. Any other time I wear my full face.

I always wear my Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket and boots but wear jeans most of the time. When I travel I wear my Scorpion pants which are awesome.

Scorpion makes some real great clothing now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
27 years old, single. Used to do motocross. A couple of minor accidents several years ago. Uncountable crashes in motocross days. Mainly riding in SF city area.

I know streets are much more dangerous than closed course, but not fully ATGATT in coffee rides...

Half/open face Helmet with goggle for city rides: 80%
Full face Helmet for freeway, out of city rides: 97%

Jacket with armor 100%

Leather gloves 100%

Riding Pants with Armor 0%

Jeans with knee armors 25%

Boots 100%

·
Registered
104 Posts

boots, long pants, leather riding jacket, FF gloves, goggles, half helmet all the time.

planning to buy a FF helmet for out-of-town rides.

a buddy of mine dropped his CBR at low speed. he was wearing flip flops and a t-shirt. :eek: got some pretty nasty road rash and screwed up his ankle.

he now wears a kevlar jacket, long pants, and shoes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mtgatt

I wiped out in sand on a asphalt road in the 70's wearing jeans, helmet, jacket and boots. But no gloves. Passed out in the emergency room as they scrubbed the 3rd degree burns on the palms of my hands to get the sand out.

Since then it's been helmet, gloves, jacket & boots 100% of the time, riding pants some of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Scorpion AXO 1000(full face), Armored Jacket, Gloves, heavy jeans and boots...
I know I need riding pants, probably in the spring.
GF likes to ride lidless, but not on my bike!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Piss-pot, shemagh, leather 'loons, engineer boots, gloves and my Triumph branded, waterproof, warm-as-buggery, canvas jacket. Might take the warm lining out if we EVER have a bloody summer here.
No kevlar, no sliders, no hurry...
Unless I'm on a VERY long journey and I might take pull-on waterproofs and my oil-skin duster.
Uncle Malcolm used to wear a tweed suit, flat-cap and goggles on his Triumph Speed Twin - never done him no harm. Tis true.... I've got the photo somewhere.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Age 52, rode dirt-bikes in my teenage years, many "offs" w/ no major injuries. Three years recent street experience on my Thruxton, ride/scan like they're all coming up from the manholes to kill me, no "offs", minor, major or otherwise. (Knock on wood)

Helmet: Shoei RF1000 full face-100%. (Ditched the 3/4 helmet after first year)
Jacket: Leather w/ armor-100% ( All temps, ditched Triumph branded mesh jacket after second year)
Pants: FrankThomas leather w/armor-85%, Draggin' Jeans wo/armor-14%, work jeans wo/armor-1%.(rarely)
Boots: Sidi brand "City" touring style boots-95%, steel toe work boots-5%.
Gloves: Full fingered, leather, various brands-100%.---James.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm 29 and just started riding this past summer. Still working on getting all of the gear.

Full face (modular) helmet- 100%

Triumph mesh jacket w/armor - 100%

Alpinestars Gloves - 100%

Long Pants - 100%

Riding pants - Not yet

Boots - 50%
Shoes - 50%

·
Registered
76 Posts
56, been riding for 51 years now.

I do tend to wear my modular lid more these days but it all depends on a thousand factors. Weather, trip length, type road/off road, passengers or not. Riding potential also facotrs in, i.e. If I'm up for a fairly fast jount on a twisty road I'll ride at 80%, closed course competition=100%. Just some of the things that go into the decision.

the gear--
Helmets--Modular, open faced, 1/2, motocross
Jackets--leather, textile, leather/textile blend
Bottoms--textile, leather, blend
Boots--touring, construction, motocross
Gloves--too many to count

1 - 20 of 158 Posts