Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a problem with a carb sticking at christmas bought replacement carbs (second hand ) fitted and sounded lumpy and used alot of fuel then the coils started to break down ,i have just replaced the coils and made what i thought were a good set out of two sets of carbs. bike starts rides and sounds brilliant again. however when i stopped it started to leak fuel from the air box. now when i turn the fuel on it leaks straight through to the air box. I'm at end of tether with this bike and carb problems does anyone have any idea what i should do has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it .

any help appreciated thanks

Lee:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Sounds like you really need to start from scratch again, although you many want to check the float valves in the carbs aren't either blocked or worn. This would be the first place I'd look for a fuel leak.

Sometimes just lying the bike over on it's side and up again or tapping the fuel bowls will stop it. If it does then you've found the source. You may also want to check all the fuel lines and couplings, but my bet is on the float levels, and the float valves

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she lives

Hi

Yesterday was my first day off work so went to the bike turned the fuel on and instantly pooring fuel through i leant bike over both ways and tapped fuel bowls but still leaking. So in i went i think i could strip that bike down with my eyes closed now. Once carbs were off i found that it was No 2 (middle one) pulling the fuel through removed fuel bowl and float valve was moving freely popped valve out and didnt appear to be blocked and floated as should when tested in water. found some gunk on on pilot valve so replaced and as had it appart replaced the float valve just in case , removed other float valves and checked also just in case. rebuilt her for what seems the hundreth time pressed the button and brooom sounds good throttle responds good tickover adjusted and now good so quick blast and turned her off. Guess what no fuel leaking she lives again . Just in time for the heat wave.

Thanks for the reply Miker thought it would be float valves but was so peeved with it all was looking for some help .

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
You're welcome Lee, hope it stays fixed this time....

Mick :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts