Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have recently relocated the ignition switch on my T100. It is now sitting on top of the left carb. I want to make an extension for the ignition switch wires so I can keep all other connectors and cables inside the headlight bucket.

Anyone knows if there is an UK supplier for wires in assorted colours for the job? A only need about 30-40cm and don't want to be buying each individual colour separately. I looked around and I know Motogadget has a wiring kit but its really pricy.

Thanks in advance,

Happy riding.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the colors, but that's me. Another option is to buy a cheap set of various-colors electrical tape to identify each end of each wire, which would give you enough information to at least identify the separate wires at the far end.

Reactions: rodburner

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I have recently relocated the ignition switch on my T100. It is now sitting on top of the left carb. I want to make an extension for the ignition switch wires so I can keep all other connectors and cables inside the headlight bucket.
For the extension harness, you only need to use 4 of the 6 wires, unless you use the parking light function (I don't know anyone who does). Doing that would slim the harness down a bit. If your bike is a CANbus model you can further decrease this down to 2 wires, which can be simply taped alongside the main harness.

Anyone knows if there is an UK supplier for wires in assorted colours for the job?
For jobs where I need multiple colours I just buy 7 core trailer cable and strip it out. From eBay, £2.80 per metre.

Just keep an eye on what you choose - the example listing above is 16.5 amps per core which is ideal for the ignition cables, but you can also get smaller core which is only 11 amps and not so good for this purpose.

Wire is wire and it doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it handles the load comfortably. If you only need 3 or 4 colours, another option is using heavy gauge speaker cable or stripping the cores out of mains flex which is available cheaply from B&Q for the odd metre. I save all manner of cables for my projects, and cut the mains flex off any household appliances that get thrown away or scrapped.

Life is a bit harder now Maplins has gone.

For generic connector blocks, this is the go to guy in the UK:

Reactions: BonnieJon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the extension harness, you only need to use 4 of the 6 wires, unless you use the parking light function (I don't know anyone who does). Doing that would slim the harness down a bit. If your bike is a CANbus model you can further decrease this down to 2 wires, which can be simply taped alongside the main harness.

For jobs where I need multiple colours I just buy 7 core trailer cable and strip it out. From eBay, £2.80 per metre.

Just keep an eye on what you choose - the example listing above is 16.5 amps per core which is ideal for the ignition cables, but you can also get smaller core which is only 11 amps and not so good for this purpose.

Wire is wire and it doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it handles the load comfortably. If you only need 3 or 4 colours, another option is using heavy gauge speaker cable or stripping the cores out of mains flex which is available cheaply from B&Q for the odd metre. I save all manner of cables for my projects, and cut the mains flex off any household appliances that get thrown away or scrapped.

Life is a bit harder now Maplins has gone.

For generic connector blocks, this is the go to guy in the UK:

Thanks for such a detailed response and the 7 core link. I have ordered one of those.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts