Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, there are people in this world who have absolutely no respect for someone elses property.

Yesterday my 2000 ST was vandalized in a random act of cowardice. My tires were slashed and the left front trun signal ripped from it's socket in the fairing. Fortunately, that was the extent of the damage. My Corbin seat, panniers, and the rest of the bike were left alone.

Maybe the future subject of my anger and retaliation was chased or scared away by someone else approaching, I don't know why it stopped there. So much for parking in an open parking lot in broad daylight at your place of employment.

And before you ask, no I haven't been in any type of altercatrion with anyone, or had any disagreements that would drive this kind of action. Honestly, I'm quite perplexed over this whole thing seeing as this is the only Triumph like this in my area.

The only plus side to this is the tires were coming up for replacement very soon and I already have a set of Road 2CT's in the garage.

I'm hoping someone might have a spare left hand turn signal laying around that I can purchase from them. I'll need the lens and reflector too.

I've already scoured EBay and know they pop up on there occasionally, but there aren't any as of last night.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi Tom,
I'm sorry to hear this. Even though Charleston is one of my favorite cities I guess it can happen anywhere.

Tires are easy. The turn not so. I'm sure yours is like my vintage in that it's a one piece unit. There might be other alternative signal lights that might work though. I think I remember someone here putting something else on that worked and looked pretty good.

I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

Don

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dolson, I appreciate the help.

Charleston is a nice town. Unfortunately, like everywhere else, when you get to the soft underbelly it has it's ulgy side too.

Fortunatley they didn't tip the bike over, or inflict more damage than they did. I'll get the bike out on the streets again once she has her tires and turn signal back in place and is legal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
When my turnsignal on my 2002St fell apart, I got the replacement from Bike Bandit. Little cheaper than dealer. If I need another one in the future, I either buy from Great Bay Triumph, or Bike Bandit again. I'd be a little leary of used unless you are strapped for cash. The adhesive on some of the older ones wouldnt hold well, and the lens would just fall off. Thats what happened to mine that I needed to replace.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Could have been worse. I know a guy that had a road rage incident on the way to work in Austin. The other guy followed him into the works Parking lot, pulled a gun and shot him dead .. somehow tyres seem so insignificant ...

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
That is a bummer Tom sorry to hear of your misfortune.

That has to be extremely annoying, on the upside as already stated it could have been worse.

Good luck with the bits to fix her up.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All

Road rage isn't my problem, I don't believe in it and would rather ride than get in some altercation where nobody wins. I'm in full understanding it could have been worse and I'm glad it wasn't.

I'll check out Bike Bandit and get the parts on order. In the mean time, I'll replace the tires and get her cleaned up for the next ride. I have a Thunderbird and now a Tiger to keep me company while the ST takes a break.

After she's fixed up, I'll have to take a family photo.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Sorry to hear Tom. It is a concern when you park out in the open and can't trust that your property will be unmolested when you get back.

Just consider it jealousy. Or maybe a disgruntled Triumph owner from the 60's ;)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Geeez Tom, that is a piffer. Do you keep it covered when you are work? It may seem odd but I kept a light motorcycle cover on my bike when it was at work sitting in the open. I never had a problem but if you keep the bags on it might not be a bad idea. It also kept the bike clean if it rained over the day and kept the road dust from passing vehicles from getting into the nooks and crannies.

It may seem a bit much but I am meticulas with my bikes and vehicles. I did this primarily with my Intruder as I road it to work everyday and it was a stunning Merlot color with gold pearl and if it sat in the sun it would fade so I kept it out of the sun. Nice thing is no one paid it any attention when it was covered.

As far as your signals go I would just go bikebandit and get the real thing.

You can also try calling these guys: http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/

They are in the UK but they ship anywhere. They are a triumph breaker/wrecker.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Calliway, that's a right smart idea regarding the cover. I have a generic and unmarked light weight cover, it's not bulky by any means and easy to get on and off. The few seconds of work required to shield the bike is well worth the added security.

I do ride with the side panniers on and only use one for my daily gear and road safety kit, so there's plenty of space.

I made my order with bike bandit this morning, thanks for the link to the UK source, I've saved it for future reference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts