Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i need some help here as i've finally got my new rear wheel ready for my flat track project (78 T140 frame)
i've laced a 19" harley rim to a conical hub (so the rim matches the sportster front end) but i didn't pay much attention to the orientation of things when i pulled the hub apart
so, first, do i have the brake shoes around the right way? the steel clips on one end of the shoes rest on the pivot - not the cam - right? and the leading/trailing shoes are in the right way? i swapped them after re reading the manual

IMG_1897.JPG
the brake actuating lever at the backing plate points upwards? the parts manual suggests it points down

the front end of the rod mounts to the lever from the inside pointing out? or outside pointing in?

if all this is ok, i'm wondering why the lever has so much travel - about 4 1/2 inches at the pedal tip from at rest to the brakes solidly applied - seems like an awful lot to me
the shoes are brand new, so i'm wondering if the drum is maybe worn too much. the manual says the wear limit for the drum is 7" +/- .002" - is this right?
i'm assuming that the adjusting wing/bullet nut at the rear brake actuation lever is the only way you adjust pedal height - any other workarounds to dial in some preload to the brakes?
thanks as usual
rory

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
not sure if mentioning the H word has put people off from responding, or if everyone's just too wound up in the festive spirit? (as an aside, one of my posts on a harley forum seeking info on clutch cable lengths was deleted because i mentioned i would be fitting it to a triumph - i was told in no uncertain terms that this harley forum doesn't countenance discussion of any other brands - so serious!)
i've seen that there are 2 different brake actuation arms (at the backing plate) one for the downward pointing and one for the upwards one - but not sure how to tell which one i have - it certainly looks and seems to work ok in the up position
thanks as always
rory

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Dave - most helpful
i wish the picture was a bit more detailed, but i'm thinking that, failing any more info, i'll need to wait till engine is fitted, pegs on etc, to see if there is a way to take up the slack
rory

1 - 4 of 4 Posts