Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never slid before on wet pavement but just slid out on 3 month old asphalt sealant that was covered in overnight rain water a week after a snowmelt. No ice on roadway I assure you, temp was 55 degrees. I looked up asphalt sealant: awful stuff, no friction.
is going dark side a solution?! My tires are Michelin PR2s, excellent tread, inflated at proper level. Low sided at 30 mph around bend, zero warning. I have to ride in this road in front of my house.

·
Driftless Admin
11,515 Posts
Well, think you'll have pretty universal agreement that you don't want darkside on a speed triple. :) Not sure we've ever had universal agreement on anything around here before, but this may be it.

Real lousy part is that once you're nervous about slipping, you tighten up and the chances of making a mistake go up.

Just need to keep a light hand on the bars and go slow I think. Someone else may have better ideas.

·
Driftless Admin
11,515 Posts
I was running fast down this two-lane between Yellowstone and the Bighorns a few summers ago. Under a heat dome, certainly upper 90s. I hit a tar snake 6 feet wide, all across my lane. Someone had done a half-assed patch and just laid down tons of that ****. So thick and sticky it tried to rip the tires from my rims.

To this day, I am still working on unpuckering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rain never bothered me before. Now I'm spooked. It was just a wet rain on the road, there was no wet tar, the stupid roadway was slick as ice. I just don't get it because I ride in all weather on all kinds of roads, never slipped on rainy surface. I trust those tires but something was different and now I'm thinking car tires for increased contact patch. It sounds crazy!
Asphalt sealant is the devil's surface I tell you.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I have often thought that some poor biker will get hurt or worse on all these asphalt repair sealants. I do not like law suits but if some county has to pay out big $$ maybe it will change. A little grit like fine sand could be added to the sealant.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I use pr4's and get decent life and excellent contact in wet weather and yes I put them on my speed triple.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I used to commute on a road that's surface was like ice when wet. Thankfully, just a short section of it. Unfortunately, it was a downhill to a stop sign. I slid a lot of times, but stayed straight and never fell. I still don't know what was different about that surface. I'm just glad I didn't go down discovering it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I use pr4's and get decent life and excellent contact in wet weather and yes I put them on my speed triple.
That was my preferred tire on my Speed Triple. There is a lot of oil in the sealant. Add water and it gets slick. The worst is that stuff they seal asphalt cracks with...tar snakes. There you are... riding nice and easy on dry pavement...you go to lean into a corner, when... quite suddenly...tar snakes!

... And your front tire suddenly decides it doesn't love you any longer. Summer on Three Twisted Sisters was full of them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My office just put asphalt sealer in the entire parking lot.

Thankfully, I was in the cage fist day it was wet... Almost went down just walking away from my truck.

That stuff has NO grip when the slightest bit of moisture gets on it. Even on 4 tires you slide around a lot.

It should be outlawed for safety reasons. I honestly have no idea how something so slippery ever got cleared for use on roadways.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
965 Posts
A few years back, I worked at a MSF riding school owned by the local Harley dealer. The range was a large lot behind the store. It was resealed and we spent a lot of time painting the new course lines. It looked great. The first time it rained, rider coaches were lowsiding while demonstrating exercises during the BRC classes. Not a pretty sight.

They then recoated it with sand mixed in. We spent the rest of that season blowing and sweeping a lot of sand off the range.

That was my last season there. I don't know how long it took to be safe again.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I have often thought that some poor biker will get hurt or worse on all these asphalt repair sealants. I do not like law suits but if some county has to pay out big $$ maybe it will change. A little grit like fine sand could be added to the sealant.
Lawsuits will not scare a county into making any useful changes. I work for a county Law Enforcement Agency. The agency, the county govt, and the individual can all be sued. They throw just enough money at the person to make them go away. The crackheads are happy and smoke up all their money in short order.

Consider there are far more crackheads than registered motorcycle riders. You see where this is going, don’t you?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My commute went from a winding road covered in tar snakes to a straight freeway. I was relieved at first, but most of the freeway is grooved concrete, which make my Avons dance around at highway speeds. At least it’s straight.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
My commute went from a winding road covered in tar snakes to a straight freeway. I was relieved at first, but most of the freeway is grooved concrete, which make my Avons dance around at highway speeds. At least it’s straight.
A motorcycle on a straight road is a recipe for boredom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Not long after I bought my Speed Triple in Wichita I was taking a ride north of town for a monthly bike gathering. On the way I had to endure a while on a straight stretch of 4-lane asphalt. I'm in the right lane doing about 70 and I see a sign..."Grooved pavement ahead". Got it. Or...I thought I got it.

It turns out they were resurfacing the highway and had used one of those big, nasty industrial machines to remove the top 4" of the right lane...the one I was in. By the time I saw what was really what (I was expecting your normal highway rain grooving) the traffic was such that I couldn't move to the left lane...so in I went. HOLY Shnickerdoodles! The drop off was four inches. The grooves were 2" wide by 2"deep. It was like a ghost just took control of the handlebars!

Don't fight it. I left it in 6th gear and just let go of the throttle and let engine braking handle the deceleration. I left my fingertips on the bar ends, but I let the ghost steer. When I got down to 10 or 15 mph I got control again, waited for a big clear spot in the traffic, and was able to climb out of the resurfacing work.

Live (or almost die) and learn.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ah man, I hate when that happens, especially when you catch it too late to change direction! That will sure wake you up, won't it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts