Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One job has lead to another again. As in the “What I Did…..” thread the two +005” exhaust spigots & sealant have been installed without any drama, they’re a good snug fit though as mentioned they don’t bottom out at the flange inside the exhaust port. I was very happy :) . Next job was to clean up the pipes & silencers making sure that all of the joints went together easily ready for the dry fit. That’s as far as I got, the timing side exhaust has fractured at the mounting bracket. I was less happy.

My options appear to be UK made silencers (TJ Wassell & Armours) or much cheaper imported items. I’ve found two retailers selling the Wassell items but both are out of stock and don’t know when they will have more, the local man will have the alternatives next week. Armours look ok but the picture of the exhaust pipes sold as T100 1971 – on wouldn’t be right for my bike, that doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I’d like to know what I have fitted so I’ll take the silencers to the local retailer to compare with his new ones, then I’ll decide what to do. I don’t mind waiting for the Wassell silencers (within reason) or the extra cost if they’re a better product…..and a little bit quieter would be nice too.
IMG_0579.JPG New Image.JPG

·
Registered
412 Posts
One job has lead to another again. As in the “What I Did…..” thread the two +005” exhaust spigots & sealant have been installed without any drama, they’re a good snug fit though as mentioned they don’t bottom out at the flange inside the exhaust port. I was very happy :) . Next job was to clean up the pipes & silencers making sure that all of the joints went together easily ready for the dry fit. That’s as far as I got, the timing side exhaust has fractured at the mounting bracket. I was less happy.
Commiserations Chris. It never rains.........

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a bummer Chris. I can't quite see in the photo: has that weld area rusted through from the inside? I have the same type of silencer on my '69 and I may be looking for some new ones soon as the chrome's not too wonderful. Interesting that you should fancy some slightly quieter ones; I also think mine are too loud, possibly because the PO had knocked the baffles out (do these have vertical baffles?). My buddy Shippy thinks they are not loud, but then he has the later post '73 shape, like Andy, fitted on his '72 which are much quieter by comparison.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Brian. The welding is sound but the metal has fractured along it’s length, it doesn’t look to have rusted from the inside. The silencers are basically straight through pipes with a perforated section in the cigar shaped bit, you can just see it in the photo. There are no baffles but perhaps there is some absorption material packed behind the perforations? If I can borrow a grinder I’ll take it apart.

A local supplier says that imported silencers (which I think I have) are louder than the UK made Wassell items. He says not by much but as he can only sell me imported items he’s bound to say that I guess. I’ve noticed a couple of times recently toddlers out with their parents cover their ears as I approach, I love the typical Brit twin noise but is a little too much.

Exhaust.JPG

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike is back on the road! I've had no luck sourcing the UK made Wassell silencers or establishing how long I'd have to wait, retailers just say 'months' which is understandable. Armours were another option and I was going to drive to Bournemouth but when a local retailer phoned to say he had the imported ones I went to have a look at those. This confirmed that they're the same as fitted to my bike, Emgo, not my first choice but they will fit so I bought them.

I also bought shiny new UK made exhaust pipes (headers) which have proved to be a better fit than the ones I have. The section which slides into the silencer is long enough to make a good seal so hopefully no more sooty leaks at that join. All was good after a 20 mile ride so tomorrow I'll take it all off and re-fit with the silicon sealant at the joins.

IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0605.JPG

·
7,061 Posts
Hi Chris,

The bike is back on the road!
(y)

A possibility to prevent your bike's silencers cracking again, I wonder if it would benefit from the "Stay" Triumph fitted between the silencer-pipe clamps under the bike on 650's and triples? This is part 70-5676, the clamps are oriented so the bolts are vertical 'inside' the pipes; on my T150, each bolt passes through the hole in one end of the "Stay" then passes through the clamp and '"D" washers and is secured with its nut to clamp Stay, silencer and pipe.

If you'd like to check, the clamp bolts through my T150's Stay appear to be 10-3/4" centre-to-centre, although the Stay holes are slotted a little so there's a bit of leeway.

also bought shiny new UK made exhaust pipes (headers) which have proved to be a better fit than the ones I have. The section which slides into the silencer is long enough to make a good seal so hopefully no more sooty leaks at that join.
Intriguing; I wonder if the original pipes were intended for the longer UK & General Export silencers?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Chris,

Well done. Glad you are mobile again. I'd need to check where they came from, but my headers are also a bit too long, by about 2" I think, which puts the slotted mounts on the silencers back, by about 2" behind the footpeg bracket. They were the correct part number, but being pattern parts, I don't think that they are quite right - even with the UK&GE pipes.

I made up a short 1" flat bar extender which works fine, but I've always had in the back of my mind shortening the headers to get the silencers forward by that 2". One day.... maybe.....

Thx Stuart for that part number for the Stay. I've noticed discussion about that before but it's not a 72 T100R part, but clearly may be of use. I could not work out how it fitted, but now you've explained that so I'll have a look and see if it'll fit my Daytona. However, my silencers are not the same as Chris's, so maybe they'll not suffer the cracking at the mount anyway.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A possibility to prevent your bike's silencers cracking again, I wonder if it would benefit from the "Stay" Triumph fitted between the silencer-pipe clamps under the bike on 650's and triples?
Thank you Stuart. I've just been out to look and whilst the length of the stay would be just about right it would be directly in line with the chain, fitting the stay under or over the chain would cause contact. On the subject of the pipes I'll post some comparison pics when I take it all apart again, the different approaches to construction are quite interesting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Chris,
Good to see you are back in action. I guess if the new silencers are Emgo like the old ones were then they are no quieter? The exhaust pipes look well made; I'm in the market for some new ones as well as silencers, what make are they?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Chris,
Good to see you are back in action. I guess if the new silencers are Emgo like the old ones were then they are no quieter? The exhaust pipes look well made; I'm in the market for some new ones as well as silencers, what make are they?
Thanks Brian, yes I'm afraid the silencers are no quieter, if anything a bit louder as there's no soot in them yet. Pipes are TJ Wassell, I'll post some pics of the differences.

·
7,061 Posts
Hi Chris,

whilst the length of the stay would be just about right it would be directly in line with the chain, fitting the stay under or over the chain would cause contact.
Intriguing ... on my T150, the stay passes under the bottom run of the chain, even though the silencers are similarly shaped but with the inlet in the middle of the 'sausage' so slightly higher than on the T100 silencers. Now I've had the thought, I'll see what I find next time I'm fiddling with the T100's exhaust.

Regards,

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Pics as promised Brian. For the sake of discussion I’ll call the new pipes Wassell and the old Emgo. To be fair the Emgo pipes have been ok and they’re some 350gm lighter per side than the Wassell items which weigh in at 1.1kg.

Pics of the cylinder head joint show more room at the junction with the balance pipe on the Wassell product. This helps when juggling the heatsink clamps and the balance pipe clamps which always seemed to get in each others way on the old set up, better welding on the Wassell pipes too. Similarly at the other end Wassell give you more room to slide on the silencer. You can see the witness marks in the pic and there’s barely enough Emgo pipe to block of the silencer slots. They can be fitted it’s just there’s not much wiggle room. Conversely the Wassell pipes slide in too far but I’d rather have it that way and cut an inch or so off.

Emgo pipes are swaged at both ends to increase the size of the pipe whereas Wassell weld on a section of larger diameter pipe. I’m not sure of the benefits of the more complicated Wassell approach but the welds are nicely done. Profile wise they’re both pleasing to the eye but the Emgo pipes sweep back too soon, they should mirror the frame down tube for longer which the Wassell pipes do - see mock up pics. I like the look of the Emgo profile but it means the primary side pipe gets very close to the primary case, when I bought the bike they were touching. Plenty of clearance with the Wassell pipes.

I prefer the TJ Wassell pipes but I would say that because I’ve bought them, they appear to be made to fit whereas Emgo have produced a reasonable product using the minimum of material necessary, they fit but just not as well.
IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0609.JPG IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0612.JPG Pipes2.JPG Pipes.JPG

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Careful Chris, your bling's showing.
The new tyres will dampen the bling Andy. Only 3000 miles from a new rear K70 before it squared off and provided some interesting cornering moments, that’s pathetic when it has to deal with probably 30 horsepower most of the time. I’ve ordered the same Continentals you have front and rear, hopefully they’ll be longer lasting.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
I notice the joins are welded. Some of these pipes are brass brazed and they crack fairly soon on 650 pipes. Welded ones always fair better. Continentals are supposed to be a superior product. I had problems with their inner tubes leaking so bought Michelin tubes which keep most of the air inside the tube for a longer time. OCR on here rates the radial Continentals.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Chris, many thanks for the photos. I can see the differences clearly; my existing pipes are made like the Wassell ones but the welding is very bad (one reason to change them). Like the Emgo ones they have very little clearance for the finned clamp ring and balance pipe where thay all fit together so the Wassell ones seem to be very much better all round. Only one problem remaining: who did you buy them from? Several dealers I have contacted only seem to do ones by LF Harris.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought them from here, Nigel is the proprietor;

Most of his stuff is Emgo like a lot of other retailers but he's not far from me and if I'm not happy with anything he takes it back without question as he would've the pipes if I couldn't get them to fit. LF Harris pipes should be ok but I've not seen them in the flesh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts