Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contrary to many owners of Triumphs with an "OEM" Arrow slip-on muffler who want to remove their baffles, I kinda want the opposite, or at least know how to. I bought the Arrow for the "quality" of the sound and the "individuality factor" rather than wanting more volume.

After about 12 COVID-affected months, the Arrow muffler finally arrived for my 900 GTPro and has been fitted by the dealer. It does sound good and, whilst not deafening by any stretch, the volume is somewhat more than I anticipated.

When I shine a light down the inside of the muffler I see that there is absolutely no baffle whatsoever. Is that right? I was expecting some sort of baffle, whether removable or otherwise.

Can anyone "shine a light"?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contrary to many owners of Triumphs with an "OEM" Arrow slip-on muffler who want to remove their baffles, I kinda want the opposite, or at least know how to. I bought the Arrow for the "quality" of the sound and the "individuality factor" rather than wanting more volume.

After about 12 COVID-affected months, the Arrow muffler finally arrived for my 900 GTPro and has been fitted by the dealer. It does sound good and, whilst not deafening by any stretch, the volume is somewhat more than I anticipated.

When I shine a light down the inside of the muffler I see that there is absolutely no baffle whatsoever. Is that right? I was expecting some sort of baffle, whether removable or otherwise.

Mines the same, I removed the CAT with a "Free Spirits" De-CAT header and noticed the same Bafflelless ARROW can. Mine is the US spec as the dealershipo informed me wen purchasing, I assume the EU varient is more heavily restricted and has the Baffel perhaps ??

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
542 Posts
I was watching a youtube video recently from somebody here in Australia putting on the Arrow pipe. He said there were two available, so perhaps Oz has a second option. One of them was open at the rear end, the other had one or two smaller final outlet pipes but doesn't give the note of the other. The video was made in his shed at night and the light wasn't good so I could not see exactly what he meant. The one with the two smaller outlet pipes might suit you better. I'll see if I can find the video again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that. Yes, the video was interesting, if a little dark. Mine is definitely "the one big hole" which makes the more noise, as distinct from the one with the two smaller outlets (or however he described it).

I managed to get hold of the dealer (Northside Motorcycles, Sydney) after posting my question here and he was surprised and asked me to send a photo, which I duly did. He seemed to think there ought to be a baffle and even speculated as to whether I'd pee-shooted the baffle out on the way home...er, no...

So, with the replies here, looks like I have what was intended to be supplied and, short of putting in an after-market db killer of some sort, I either live with this or swap back to the stock pipe. The best bet will be to take it on a decently long ride and see if it bothers me.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
542 Posts
There are a lot of sound level apps you can get on your phone, so perhaps that's a way of checking it out. I've tried a few but they do not have the accuracy of a cheapy meter I got off ebay so it's worth installing a few of them and see how they relate to each other.

Following on from what the YT guy said about there being two pipes, I've started a thread asking for people to post about any differences between the EU and US pipes. There might be some interesting info there once a few replies come in.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the EU version on mine. It’s definitely has a baffle and cannot be removed. From vids watched before I got mine I assumed it was the louder US version . I wanted a bit more noise ☹
Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually thinking of selling mine if anyone interested ? Replacing with a Skorpion, want that extra noise😉
Font Material property Gas Wood Packaging and labeling
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Carbon Bicycle part
Font Material property Gas Wood Packaging and labeling Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Carbon Bicycle part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts