Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to install some arrow dual slip ons on the stock midpipe?

I found a place that sells only the cans for 768$.

How would this affect torque and mapping?

Again, if remapping is done at the dealer, which program should they select, TOR?

or do they have one specific for the arrows?
and if they do have one specific for the arrows, how would the absence of the midpipe play out?

my S3 is an 08...

thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Arrow slip ons on an 08 S3 and I just brought it to
the dealer to get tuned. The tech told me they have only 2 tunes.
High mount Arrow or low mount Arrow.
He also told me it can take 4 hrs sometimes because the tune won't
stick. Is this a load of Bull??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically my question is,

how would the absence of the arrow mid pipe affect the tuning?

Should I choose arrow high mount or TOR?

I prefer low end torque...

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Arrow cans supplied as a "Triumph" accessory are fitted to the stock mid pipe and replace the option of the TOR cans, there is no Arrow mid pipe option for them.

There are other Arrow cans available that require a different mid pipe, although these are for earlier models. The Arrow low mount is a full system, I seem to think there has been some comment about minor decreases in the mid range torque but obviously higher top end.

There is a specific tune used for the Arrows. No way should it take anywhere near 4 hours to plug in the dealer device and download the tune into the ECU.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
The Arrow cans supplied as a "Triumph" accessory are fitted to the stock mid pipe and replace the option of the TOR cans, there is no Arrow mid pipe option for them.

Small correction: the new Triumph marketed Arrow cans fit older Arrow midpipe direct. I used this new cans + old midpipe setup on my old 2005 and now on my 2009.

New style Arrows come with a loose adapter piece for fitting on stock midpipe. Without this constricting piece the cans fit direct on the Arrow midpipe.

Arrow midpipe can be bought only from Arrow resale network, not from Triumph.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Small correction: the new Triumph marketed Arrow cans fit older Arrow midpipe direct. I used this new cans + old midpipe setup on my old 2005 and now on my 2009.

New style Arrows come with a loose adapter piece for fitting on stock midpipe. Without this constricting piece the cans fit direct on the Arrow midpipe.

Arrow midpipe can be bought only from Arrow resale network, not from Triumph.
That explains it. I wondered why they did the adapter pieces, it makes perfect sense now.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Not a major difference on power output as the stock midpipe breathes well enough with any brand of straight-through mufflers. Better breathing only comes to play on higher up rev range, and the 1050 does not rev very high to begin with. Custom TuneBoy tune is needed for full benefit.

I only changed to Arrow midpipe mainly so I could ditch the heavy & ugly catalyzer midpipe. Arrow midpipe weight is only ~1.2kg; easy place to shave some of the Triple's fat.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
The midpipe kit is around 160 euros. Different kit for the pre-cat header bikes and the later cat-in-midpipe bikes, best check the Arrow site for exact product numbers.

Also worth noting that on the longer tailed 08+ bikes the midpipe will pull the cans more forward than with stock midpipe. I had ~45mm extensions welded to the midpipe ends to push the cans back to where the tail ends. But this was a purely cosmetic mod only; the midpipe will work fine without the extra tubing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
go with the high mount arrow tune, these pipes sound really good with the baffle removed and make good power

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
go with the high mount arrow tune, these pipes sound really good with the baffle removed and make good power
OK, now I am confused, I thought it was said before to go with TORS with slip ons only?

DO you mean it's TORS for slip ons WITH baffle and high mount arrow tune for slip ons WITHOUT baffle?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Geppo, TORs tune and Arrow highmount tune, to my understanding, are one and the same.

Hinckley only supplies dealers 2 main tune categories. Aftermarket highmount (aka TORs aka Arrow highmount) and Arrow 3-1 tunes. Then there are only SAI and non-SAI, Brazil etc. variants of these two.

If you run the highmount duals with baffles in, then the stock tune should be closest as the baffles will make the cans flow as bad as stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I finally got my 08 S3 tuned for the Arrow high mount with baffles removed tune. It only cost 1/2 labor from the 4 Hr they quoted me originally. I find now it has less bottom end torque. I have to feed it more throttle to pull up the frt wheel. Cruising at 3-5 K rpm is quieter. It starts cold easier with a raised idle for a few seconds BUT the backfiring is insane. I didn't mind the popping before the tune.
I thought from some posts in here that it calmed down the backfiring? If I block SAI do I need another tune? Or did they load the wrong tune?

·
Registered
379 Posts
you should have lost low end power, it sounds like they loaded the wrong tune, if they did load the right tune then the next thing is to block off the SAI which will reduce popping or purchase a tuneboy and make those adjustments to fix the map

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been riding the bike with the high Arrows no baffles and factory tune for 2 Mths. I find it funny that after tuning it would have less low RPM torque. The power seems to be coming back or I'm getting used to it. It's also friggin 40'C in the shade here this week so its not as snappy as in the cooler 15'C weather we had last week.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The midpipe kit is around 160 euros. Different kit for the pre-cat header bikes and the later cat-in-midpipe bikes, best check the Arrow site for exact product numbers.
I'm looking to get the Arrow midpipe also. Would you happen to remember where you purchased them? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts