Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've searched the forum and I can't find an answer (that I can understand anyway) to some issues I'm having installing an Arrow 2 into 1 exhaust system on my 2011 Bonneville SE.

My plan was to install the new system, install a Breathe and a DNA filter, leave the O2 system intact, and then ride back to the dealer where I bought the Arrow and have them do a remap.

Trouble is the O2 sensor cables don't appear to be long enough to reach the ports in the Arrow headers. After reading a lot of threads I'm thinking I might as well disconnect the O2 sensors and be done with it. Or should I see about getting longer cables?

The question is, how exactly do I do that? I have the plugs that came with the Arrow headers so I could use them. But what do I do with the sensors? Just disconnect them from the harness? I recall something Forchetto wrote that if I started the bike with the sensors disconnected it would cause an MIL (whatever that is).

I apologize if this has been covered before. If so please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you trace up the O2 cables up to the tank, you'll find a connection.
Unhook the cables and you can re-route them to gain enough length.
Be sure to mark everything so you don't get the wires crossed up.
I added extra insulation and ziptied the cables away from the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Forchetto wrote that if I started the bike with the sensors disconnected it would cause an MIL (whatever that is).
Malfunction Indicator Lamp, also called CEL "Check Engine Light". This comes on to warn you that some part of the engine management system has gone wrong or sensor readings being sent to the ECU are out of limits.

You need to unplug the O2 sensors to remove them from the pipes. Some advice: don't get the left and right connectors mixed up and note that the connectors have a security clip that's not easy to undo sometimes. One half of the connector casing has a a little sort of peg that fits inside a depression on the other half. They're not easy to pull apart as you have to use a small driver to push the peg down while pulling the connector apart.

Normally it's not a good thing to pull on the cables, but in this case you seem to have to as the connector casing doesn't provide much of a purchase to grab on to and it's slippery.

There are 4 cables and between them they should resist the pulling required without damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts