Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was planning to get the arrow 2 in 1 exhaust for my 2007 bonnie but when i called my dealership they told me that this exhaust system is for the new model which is EFI and is not recommended by triumph to be installed in a carburetor system . They told me it will fit my 2007 bonnie and have to be re jetted but triumph doesn't guarantee any performance gain. Now I am confused madss claim for EFI and Carburetor .Can anyone clarify this please. They also told me it is not necessary to remove the Air injection plugs and or the Airbox . Thanks. the only reason i want the arrow 2 in 1 because its from triumph and would not void my warranty. Any inputs Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Arrow 2 -1

Hi ptmar

I put the Arrow 2-1 pipe on my carb 05 Thruxton last year, comes with 2 sets of instructions, 1 for efi one for carb, also has a set of bungs for the carb versions to plug where the O2 sensors go into the pipe for the EFI models. My Triumph dealer recommends these pipes for carb or efi, expect some power improvement over stock. Remove the AI, does nothing for you. I have removed my airbox and never looked back, however there is alot of opinion on this, read the threads and decide, you will need to rejet with this pipe if you change any of your filter, airbox, snorkel config which you should probably do if you're considering this pipe. I have both my Triumphs Dyno tuned which really helps getting the carb versions running well. I run without the baffle and really like the note and the look of this pipe, superb quality, couldn't be happier. 160 mains, 45 pilots.
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You fail to say where you live. In the USA, aftermarket exhaust systems will not void your warranty. If Triumph can show that a failure is caused by your using an aftermarket exhaust system, then they may get out of covering that one failure. It sounds like your dealer is trying to void your warranty for using a Triumph accessory.:mad: His reason behind that stance is probably due to his mechanics' inability to jet the carbs properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm now im thinking of do it myself. here are the parts i plan to buy

2-1 arrow form madss
triumph skid plate
sixty8 badge
carburetor bolts
tool free side cover and seat botls
AI Stainless removal kit
Ohlins shocks still deciding between 36E or 36PL

future mods

airbox removal kit

I live in South Jersey near Philadelphia and i would like to know what size of main jets/pilot combination is suitable for me.

thanks

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
hmm now im thinking of do it myself. here are the parts i plan to buy

2-1 arrow form madss
Why buy from madss? Save yourself almost $60....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380095755512&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

(Item number: 380095755512)

I had this in my ebay watch items, but don't have the jack to make it happen right now.

Cheers,

--Rich

PS - go with the 36E ohlins unless you plan on really re-working the front forks...anything better will be wasted w/o the investment up front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what mods should i do with the front. do ohlins have a front fork shocks for a bonneville ?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
what mods should i do with the front. do ohlins have a front fork shocks for a bonneville ?
How you ride and use the machine will dictate how far you should take the suspension upgrades. Personally, I believe this is where people should spend most of their time sorting once they've binned the stock air box, air injection, and stock mufflers.

You should search this forum for all the details. With a totally stock bike, most start with a front fork oil change & progressive springs to complement better rear shocks. Beyond that, there are cartridge emulators you can fit to the stock forks, fork swaps to different 41 mm forks in your stock trees (CBR F3 cartridge forks are popular) and sliders, or an entire front end exchange w/ wheels and the full monty.

If your riding demands warrant Ohlins in back, I would think cartridge emulators, thruxton fork caps, & single rate springs would be a logical starting point. Don't forget to upgrade the front brake along the line to match the increase performance capabilities of your machine....

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just to wrapped up my question what size of jet and pilot should i used if installed 2 in1 arrow with airbox removal kit K&N , AI Kit.

I see there are different sizes and dont know which one is best suitable with this set up? I will have my dealer install the 2 in 1 arrow and recommended a rejet. I just want to have an idea what sizes so I would not be dumb and just wont let them do any size rejet they want. thanks guys

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Look at post #2 above...his bike is a thruxton (865) and might run a bit larger main than your '07. My thruxton runs 148 mains, one shim, 42 pilots with my stock header/d&d setup. My guess is you'll be somewhere around a 150 main or so if using thruxton needles...

Your mechanic should be able to get it close, but I would run a EGA after the initial jetting to make the final jetting changes/get it right across the whole rpm range....

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
Arrow 2-1 vs 2-2

Look at post #2 above...his bike is a thruxton (865) and might run a bit larger main than your '07. My thruxton runs 148 mains, one shim, 42 pilots with my stock header/d&d setup. My guess is you'll be somewhere around a 150 main or so if using thruxton needles...

Your mechanic should be able to get it close, but I would run a EGA after the initial jetting to make the final jetting changes/get it right across the whole rpm range....

Cheers,

--Rich
Hi Rich,
How's the Norman Hyde handle bars working out? I had a bit of an encounter with the rear end of a car on the freeway and I'm looking for a new exhaust system. I like the idea of the Arrow 2-1 but I'm concerned about the headers blocking cylinder head airflow and the build up of heat between cylinder head and oil cooler. The 2-2 system keeps the heat away but there is a stupid looking bend on the left side that really turns me off. Any advice on exhaust...I could replace the TOR's but that would end up the same price as Arrows. I'd like to get lighter but not necessarily louder.

Dave (Thruxton site guy)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Hi Rich,
How's the Norman Hyde handle bars working out? I had a bit of an encounter with the rear end of a car on the freeway and I'm looking for a new exhaust system. I like the idea of the Arrow 2-1 but I'm concerned about the headers blocking cylinder head airflow and the build up of heat between cylinder head and oil cooler. The 2-2 system keeps the heat away but there is a stupid looking bend on the left side that really turns me off. Any advice on exhaust...I could replace the TOR's but that would end up the same price as Arrows. I'd like to get lighter but not necessarily louder.
Dave,

Good to hear from you. Glad the crash only sidelined you temporarily and didn't take you out of the game. The NH bar conversion works great...I ended up with S3 handlebars & got rid of the numb hands and neck pains in the process.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pipe routing on the Arrow...Zard, bonneville performance, and others have used this type of tight bends behind the cooler without issue. Besides, as fast as you ride, the heat just gets lost in the flow. :)

Most of the other offerings are quite a bit louder. Not sure if your headers are toast, but TPusa / British Customs have some quieter versions of their open cans that are throaty, but not obnoxiously loud. They run ~500 us dollars and are of stainless construction...not sure what that translates into in canadian pesos, but would easily equal the arrow cost if you need the headers.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Rich,
Busted my hip and some ribs and a beauty road rash but the bike is not too bad so I'm looking for some fun stuff. Slid under a car on the freeway...hard braking for a pile up ahead and I hit a bunch of gravel and had to put it down. Good thing it was a jeep in front as I went under the rear bumper and hit the jeeps rear tires. No serious damage to the bike but lots of bent and broken bits. Lots of pain for a bit but I'm fully recovered and back in the saddle ASAP. Thanks for the advice. I've got a line on the 2-1's that's not too bad...yes, the right side header is a bit of a mess. I'm leaning pretty hard on the 2-1 Arrow...very light and I need headers anyway. By the way my 71 Bonney is back after a top to bottom re-make as a cafe racer...you've got to see the hand made swept back exhaust etc. I'll attach a shot.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts