Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Bonneville SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed an Arrow 2:1 on a 2015 Bonnevile. After tightening everything down the oil return line is touching the left header pipe. Is there a way to rotate the line/braid without taking everything apart?

Do I have to remap the ecu or can it be ridden as is? Thank you in advance!
Al

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,631 Posts
Slacken the banjo bolt a little and rotate the pipe looks like it should work just be cautious and aware that you may end up needing to replace the crush washers . Definitely recommend a remap to match any mods but first find out if you are going any further/is the rest still stock . Visit Triumph Twin Power web site do some reading .

·
Registered
2014 Thruxton
327 Posts
I believe the aforementioned crush washers are copper so you could anneal them and reuse if you choose to. I did that when I replaced my oil temp sensor and all is well. (forgot to order them at the time I ordered the sensor).
To get max benefit from the Arrows a remap is most likely going to be needed, I would ride it first to see how it runs. I suspect that if you are doing exhaust other mods will soon follow so you may want to factor those into any future remap.
+1 on checking TTP's website, lots of good info there.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
I wouldn't run the motor like that. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to rotate that oil line away from the header.

Make sure that you stabilize the radiator end of that connection with a second wrench when you loosen/tighten the banjo bolt so you don't stress the radiator. When you tighten, use a torque wrench to the recommended torque.

If you want to be totally safe and secure, replace the sealing washers and have a spare banjo bolt on hand in case this one breaks.

I don't remember the size of this banjo bolt, but the brake line bolts--at least on some of these bikes--had metric threads and 9/16-inch heads, weird. So if you can't get a metric wrench to fit snugly, try a similar inch size.

·
Registered
2014 Thruxton
327 Posts
Good points on the backing up of banjo bolt etc, you never know when a 10 minute job can go sideways......

·
Registered
2015 Bonneville SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Yes backing up the banjo totally makes sense now. I wished they said this in the instructions because I was trying to figure out how to keep the radiator steady while I was loosening the banjo bolt...I hope I didn’t tweak the radiator because it was all over the place.

Regarding getting to the bolt-don’t have any options other than taking apart everything again?

Lastly, I would like to say that this is the only mod right now just because the wife is a lil annoyed with how much time I’ve been spending with the bike!
Al

·
Registered
2015 Bonneville SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Arrow kit also came with the 2 copper washers-would it be easier if I just removed the banjo bolt and replace the washers and this would also give me the ability to maneuver the braided return? If I remove the bolt, how much oil am I going to lose?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes you will lose a bit of oil. More importantly, you need to get a correct fitting spanner on to the oil cooler hex (with the blue dot). If not you will tear the cooler, those banjo bolts are very tight. The ability to get spanners on this and the banjo bolt will dictate whether you remove the exhaust pipes first. It will also help if you undo the cooler mounts.

Regarding the remap, it depends on what other mods you have done. if you have removed the airbox baffle and snorkle, probably should do a remap, if not you should be able to run it on the current map but only with the baffle in.

·
Registered
2015 Bonneville SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t moved the return line or remapped it yet but had to start it up...I totally understand why people take the baffle out. With it in, it’s a little bit louder than stock but not enough...

·
Registered
2015 Bonneville SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ended up taking the line return completely off (without taking off pipes), trial and error on rotating the return line pipes into the perfect angles while in a vice grip. Popped it back on, added a quart of oil and took a test drive. With everything still stock I think I can forego the remap for now. Definitely a better sound!

·
2014 Bonneville T100
1,108 Posts
Now that was a really nice job of rerouting that oil cooler line! Done right for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts