Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im new to the word of rat, i have a 2010 efi speedmaster, i whent for the ark and and septer pipes, air plug kit, i spoke with shawn at british customs to aid in things like the map that was needed, and all instructions needed to complete the job, i was a mehcanic for 6 years before becomeing a tool guy, no ace, but i have a good idea of what im trying to do, etheir way the problem, pc5 installed with shawns map, ark installed per instructions, air plug kit in place,start bike... bike warms up a bit, put helmet on,bike dies. *sigh*, pull no codes,no light,more *sigh* when cold runs smooth as can be, when hot. will not run, start bike and if i start to rev the bike, it sounds right and smooth, but will act like you have turned off the key, cant figure out what i have missed, the maps great, batts charged, fuels in tank,air temp sensor is pluged in, (i think what is a tilt sensor) is up and pluged in, ground seem ok, followed what pc.asked.. im going nuts, if you have and thoughts to y this may happen please let me know, my only guess now is theres a sensor for the ignition system mounted next to the alt, from what i understand, this sensor can fail when hot, sound right but how can i test?... if theres any twin smarties please help

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
If you did all those mods at once it's difficult to pinpoint what causes it, so many changes at once...I don't know if that "Shawns map" for your PCV takes care to enrich the fueling right through the range or just at the top or what.

Those mods require considerable changes to the mapping otherwise you'll be running weak. A clue comes from the fact that it runs OK when cold. When first started and until a certain temperature is reached the overall fueling is automatically enriched by the signals sent by the oil temperature sensor, that's why it runs OK.

What did you do with the intake temp. sensor and the O2 sensors?. The latter have to be removed to enable use of the PCV.

Did you get some rubber caps with the Air injection removal kit?. I hope you've discarded them and not removed the two hoses from the manifolds to fit those. They're supplied for use on the carbed models only.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have u made 20 min adaptation ?

As ussully if something goes wrong, come back to the point whet u started. I would put exhaust back, and reload orginal map. Then, start adding things . Is only way u can find what happend i think...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Not many use the PCV since you can just load a new map right into the Triumph computer. It's not Sean's map, its the British Customs map for the bike.

Go to Powercommander.com and download the map right from them and start fresh. Download the M21-006-ALL file and see what maps are included in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well heres were i stand now, yes i did not use the black caps in the kit, i guessed them to be either map sensors, or biro sensors, i did trace back, removed the pcv all together and bike started like crap and died, insted of starting like a dream and dieing, i ran thro all the directions again and again,fyi the o2 sensors have been deleted as pcv asked and the pcv came with ends for the wires to route back, the air pump system is removed and pluged and the a i sensor has been removed and a 50 watt 10 ohm resetor in its place, the exhust has been there for a year with stock ecm (off road tune) all sensors are pluged in, the air temp sensor has been fitted near the air cleaners, tilt sensor is up( fyi when bike was running i grabbed that sensor and fliped it upside down,,,,nothin, bike ran..) pcm in pluged in and check all fuses, pcv is working well. map has been resent just in case, noticed the tps was acting ok and seems to follow the throttle, (for the 1 min the bike runs) at this point im going insane, i followed all directions, and asked lots of qustions from my triumph dealer before installing, last we talked he said its possible that the pick up sensor near the stater is faling, he says is sounds just like when one fails bikes starts and dies the same every time, like you could set you watch to how well the bike will stay alive, 5 secs most, he said to check ohms , new one is less than .6... we got in store with new. .590 ohms. should never see more than one ohm, or maby he said two, i forget now, bike cold no start i have 2-3 ohms, but im not getting anything from the pcm side, no voltage nore ohms... weired huh?. any thoughts... im araid to go any further

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Presumably the bike was working without issue before you made all the mod's? If so it is very unlucky for this pick-up to have chosen this time to break (although coincidence does happen). Unless any of the mod's are not un-do-able I'd go back to where I started and do it over, one step at a time. Is it not possible to keep the PCV off and simply re-map the ECU with standard map?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well now i have spoke with the person who dynoed the bike and hads done this kit, we spoke for a wile and came up with some ideas, i tried puting the air sensor back together, removed the power comander completely and pluged back in o2 sensors, tried to start bike and same thing, fuel pump is working ( making noise as always when i turn key, i feel like its a fuel issue, almost like there no consistant fuel pressure, im completly lost now, by all rights this bike should start, i cant see what could be holding it back... i think im going to bring the bike to the dealer and see what happends,today i stipped the bike of all that was chaged and brought the bike back to stock( well close). air box still missing,and ai system still missing, but ai sensor back into place, just zipttied, and took out battery and bracket and spent an hour just looking at wires, tank off and air filters off, im abale to everything very easly, checked to be shure of all connections, lightly pulled at each wire to be shure i didnt brake a connection, i have no po codes, battery been fully charge and tank is over flowwing full lol, ...... the bike should start and stay running, but runn like crap due to it not having a map.... i tried somthing, it scared me to do it but i started the bike and reved it straight up, when it died by the time i hit 5k rpms.... it sounded like it was the fuel that cut, idk... i have always likes cars...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Triumph dealers have a diagnostics system that they can plug into the ecu direct and it will tell them what the problem is.

Throttle position sensors are sometimes a problem and I have had to have mine reset by the dealer on both my triumphs on recent services.

hope that helps
Regards Nick

·
Registered
227 Posts
keep us inform please if u resolve that problem and what was that, U story scares me a lit bit before i put my ARK and PCV to the bike, no idea what may go wrong unfortunatlly , so im not too helpfull right now:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the good news is its at the dealer and he has some thought to what might be wroung, it seems alot of you guys are from the uk, im in usa, near boston, theres nothing for triumph info, service, or dealers, i have one very small dealer i bought the bike from, one guy runs the whole show, dennis, great guy but i can tell it must be tough on him to get info and parts, theres not alot....i ment to say none, of other people riding triumphs in my area, i go on bike rides or meets and im lucky out of 1000 bike i see one other triumph, so its so great to have a ( not so crazy $ bike) but yet stand out, ethier way, like i said he has the bike and 2 new ones in his shop, so he can swap parts and pull the ecm up on the comp, witch fyi any 50 dollar scan tool u can buy for your tool guy or at a store will get the check engine light, read data, and give you a definition on ur code. not bad huh? he thinks the ecm is no longer programed somhow or that theres a problem with some other sensor, we both think its software realated, i will let you know soon about what we found, thank you guys for all your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bike problem fixed

Bike is back from the dealer, all that was wrong was the tilt sensor (depending on your point of view) up is in two different positions. Either way bike is back together and running with map in place. Huge power change, the bike can now have the front tire pop off the ground in second gear if pushed hard enough. Highly recommend the upgrade to anyone as long as you're very cautious as to how you install it. It has way more power down low. The throttle response is faster than the tack can keep up to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts