Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

noobie here with a new '08 carbed Scram on the way - it's currently on a boat in the pacific somewhere I guess. Have lurked a bunch and read too much it makes my head hurt; esp since I'm not super mechanically minded.

I have the Arrow 2-1 pipe for Scrambler on the way and am looking at the air intake side of things. I'm not looking to scream down any highways at max speed; I'm typically fairly pedestrian on the road. But I wouldn't mind getting/keeping whatever oomph I can for some off road stuff...dirt roads and hills. Any extra highway pep wouldn't be shunned tho'. What are the pros/cons of NARK if I'm not looking for warp speed? Would NARKing maybe reduce my low end grunt??

Many ADV riders seem to just yank the snorkel and rejet. Over here, it seems to be more maxing things out. Difference of riding philosophies, maybe? Max performance v dirt/everyday riding. I'm in the latter & slower camp; but there seems to be a lot more technical talk & experimenting here. Hence this post.

I live on Maui, so very few long straight roads; but we get plenty of fine red dust all over the place constantly, with plenty windy days and occasional downpours. So plenty more wind and dust than many of you, probably. Would going ARK leave me more susceptible to problems of dust/water ingress? I have also read some of those reports of the turbulence affecting things via disrupting the air going in, so leaving the airbox might help on a windy island. Yes/No?

My options:

A) Total Air Box removal with the NARK kit. Pros: I get instructions & all bits with it. (btw, the $300 is irrelevant - I actually already have the NARK kit but there's always ebay if I don't use it. I just want whatever's gonna work best for me; get it right kinda thing. fwiw Brent at NB shipped 150/42 jets to suit the nark+arrow.). Cons: Possible water/dust/wind bluster affecting the carb function?

B) Yank snorkel and/or restrictor plate & rejet. Pros: Peace of mind re dust/water; plus I get to keep the mudguard function of the airbox.

Apologies for the length of post; I'm just offloading all my ark, air and oomph questions here, I guess.

Many thanks for any guidance or pointers. I already read many of the airbox and jetting threads, but still need guidance.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I can't speak first-hand on the 270 degree engines, but the 790 cc 360 degree engines love the NARK. I didn't lose any low-end torque, and the bike runs smoother through-out the rev range.

I have heard some of this type testimony from a couple of Speedy owners I know, so I would suspect it is true for the 270 degree engines.

I would start with the jets that Brent supplied. I do recommend that one gets the bike on a dyno once you have it as good as you can get it by the seat of the pants method. It is really nice to get the mid-range and the main jets spot on as well as the pilot jets. I haven't touched mine in more than 21000 miles.:D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice! I'm hoping I can be as satisfied with my mods as many of you guys are.

I'm half hoping I get convinced that there's no downside to me NARKing it so I can just plow ahead & have a hot Scrambler that I can readily tackle dirt with.

But if anyone has experience or informed thoughts on the low/mid range effects & the water/dust issues (or non issues) then I would definitely love to know so I can take the whole into consideration.

Dunno if we even have a dyno on the island, but I'll definitely take it there if there is, since fine tuning an engine isn't something to be trusted to me:goofy:.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice! I'm hoping I can be as satisfied with my mods as many of you guys are.

I'm half hoping I get convinced that there's no downside to me NARKing it so I can just plow ahead & have a hot Scrambler that I can readily tackle dirt with.

But if anyone has experience or informed thoughts on the low/mid range effects & the water/dust issues (or non issues) then I would definitely love to know so I can take the whole into consideration.

Dunno if we even have a dyno on the island, but I'll definitely take it there if there is, since fine tuning an engine isn't something to be trusted to me:goofy:.
-------------------------------------------------------------

There is no downside, to NARKing, and there is more room to work on carb's.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
-------------------------------------------------------------

There is no downside, to NARKing, and there is more room to work on carb's.
When you say downside, do you mean only for performance in a clean environment?
Or are you saying that I shouldn't worry about water or dust ingress (or the possible wind bluster effect on the stock carb function if the air intake is more exposed)??

·
30,531 Posts
I was out in some SERIOUS winds yesterday, they were about as strong as I ever want to ride in because it's just too much like hard work.

Anyway, the bike never skipped a beat, so with pod filters (ARK) and the side covers on, there is no issue there that I can see.

Also, I rode through one helluva rain storm a couple of weeks ago, and the bike never skipped a beat there either. I have silicone outerwears pre filters on my pods.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks prop.

Guess that decides it. I'll just go ahead and NARK it. I have the silicone outer thingys too.

·
30,531 Posts
There you go. Give it a go, you still have all the stuff, if you don't like it you can go back.

But you are going to like it - a LOT.

I recommend adding some rubber flappage once you get it in place, to help minimize flinging crap all over from the rear wheel. Just get some cheap thick rubber sheet (like from cheap truck mudflaps) and cut to shape, and pop rivet in place.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
To keep water & mud away from the pods and relays, I cut up an Yamalube 1gal oil bottle and ziptied/riveted in place:

·
30,531 Posts
That's good. A rubber flap to hang over the swingarm at the bottom does wonders too.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I was out in some SERIOUS winds yesterday, they were about as strong as I ever want to ride in because it's just too much like hard work.

Anyway, the bike never skipped a beat, so with pod filters (ARK) and the side covers on, there is no issue there that I can see.

Also, I rode through one helluva rain storm a couple of weeks ago, and the bike never skipped a beat there either. I have silicone outerwears pre filters on my pods.
I rode through 300(+) miles of rain going to the Dragon last year. I have a NARK with the silicone outers and my side covers on just like Prop does and had no problems at all. The only extra thing I did was when I put the NARK on I added dielectric grease to all my electric connections in order to keep water out. Works like a champ, plus you may want to think about that also, if your planning on possibly taking your bike offroading. Good luck which ever way you choose and enjoy your bike.

·
30,531 Posts
I added dielectric grease to all my electric connections in order to keep water out.
I did that too. :D

I recommend doing that anyway, stock, ARK'ed, whatever - dielectric grease on all the connectors everywhere is a good policy.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I agree with Prop on the above, water tends to find its way into those places, even with the stock airbox in place :)

·
30,531 Posts
And don't forget all the other connectors in the headlamp shell, the sidestand switch etc etc.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Gotta love dielectric grease . . . probably the biggest bang for your buck in preventative maintenance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts