Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AU$800 for an oil cooler for the D12. ARGHHHHHHHH.

Has anyone replaced there's with something non-Triumph.

Cheers

Ross.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I've done nothing of the sort, but it looks to be fairly simple. I would think any old oil cooler that connects with M14 banjos would do, as long as you could fab some brackets to hold it steady.

Let us know how it goes if you try!

Edit: Just a WAG, but maybe a Suzuki Bandit 1200?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I know our three cyl brothern debate all the time; to oil cool or not to oil cool. Some models have and some models have not.
I'm not sure if any of the four cyl bike came without but it may be an option to go with the oil cooler bypass bits off a triple.

What about one off a Trophy from a breaker / online auction (there are quite a few on fleabay)? Ah, I bet the triple oil coolers would work too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
just go to a local breaker with your old cooler, and ask him what he has that would be compatible.
i dont know why some bikes dont have the oil cooler, but you have to think that it can only help the engine run better if it does have one?
i imagine it is only taken off certain models for cosmetic reasons, ie non faired models.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
it's not cosmetic, they just didn't need 'em. These motors run pretty cool, perhaps due to the wet liners. The oil coolers were only added to the fully-faired bikes to compensate for diminished airflow, but it's actually debatable whether the faired triples need them.

When you add a fourth cylinder to the mix, though... I wouldn't be afraid to ride a D1200 with no oil cooler in Winter, but I would really want one in the warmer months.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wouldn't be game to try running it here in Australia without the cooler, runs hot enough in traffic as it is, especially in summer.

Well I bit the bullet and ended up getting a new one from Triumph, I'm to impatient, and an import from the UK was going to take 5 weeks, and with the way that AUS$ is going against the greenback at the moment, getting it from the US wasn't much of a saving.

It was the last one in the warehouse of the importer over here apparently, but I did manage to talk then down to AU$600, so I don't feel so bad. Just hope the other half doesn't find out :p

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just hope the other half doesn't find out :p
If she does, just play up the safety angle. The cooler was going to split and the oil on the back tire would dump you on the ground real bad. Done deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts