Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is that many posters feel the need for a strapline on their postings?

A quick straw poll reveals the need to mention pumpkins, parachutes, newspapers, birds and booze and a reminder that Dennis Healey knew how to fabricate a V sign.

Are these made up or plagiarised, or bits of both?

And am I suffering delusions of inadequacy by having nothing to say?

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts

A quick straw poll reveals the need to mention pumpkins, parachutes, newspapers, birds and booze and a reminder that Dennis Healey knew how to fabricate a V sign.

How do you feel about this?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony Blair would be more fitting, his farewell salute.
He is also now retraining as a philosopher.

·
30,294 Posts
Because we're imaginitive and cool.

Varies. My current signature is plagiarised from the great Jack Handey.

Yes.

·
30,294 Posts
A strapline is a quick snappy one liner that is typically used in the movie industry on their advertising posters. For example Alien - "in space no one can hear you scream..."

On this forum (and most others too) you have a "signature" which you can edit via the user control panel. This comes up on every post you make. If you change it, all your existing posts reflect your new signature strapline.

·
30,294 Posts
Well yeah, spaceships are a lot louder than a scream, haven't you listened to one when it goes by?

·
Registered
513 Posts
A strapline is a quick snappy one liner that is typically used in the movie industry on their advertising posters. For example Alien - "in space no one can hear you scream..."

On this forum (and most others too) you have a "signature" which you can edit via the user control panel. This comes up on every post you make. If you change it, all your existing posts reflect your new signature strapline.

I was going to have a strapline, but I thought "Nobody puts baby in the corner." sounded kinda gay.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haggis - love Tebbit. Funnily enough I took his advice in 1986 and left Scotland for London to get a job. He was right.

More recently I began to believe that Margaret Thatcher was or is the architect of modern Britain. Not everyone agrees nor takes kindly to that suggestion.

I was thinking of that as my strapline. But perhaps this would be better:

"Margaret Thatcher would have ridden a Triumph if only they had'nt provided chauffeur driven Daimlers when she was PM."

Or is that a bit long? A bit unrealistic?

Back to the drawing board perhaps.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Sofiaspin - you've got to let a little zen in.

Shake it loose first, then let those zen powers work on you.

Now concentrate, while allowing yourself to be free at the centre.

Allow this question to become visible to your mind:

"What British Iron would the Iron Lady ride?"

Answer that and you've dicovered how to write a great strapline!

Here: I'll even give you this pic I was saving, since I've exhausted whatever zen powers I was going to use with Thatcher myself.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Don't sweat it. Philosophically speaking, I would rather suffer delusions of inadequacy than to go around feeling adequate and then be proven wrong! I speak from experience. :D

John

"'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt." -- Samuel Johnson
(often erroneously attributed to Abe Lincoln, presumably by people who opened their mouths and thereby did remove all doubt)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I would say that modern Triumph riders are definatley educated, whether that be in life or school, are passionate and discerning which would make us a bit philisophical indeed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts