Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Triumph dealers are being FORCED to have only their bikes in one setup, some dealers like mine Hermy's added on $$$$ BMW's on one side Triumphs on the other, an expensive venture for sure!!!
Hermy's was BMW long before Triumph was resurrected. BMW was also solo showrooms dating from the early '80s which started the "corporate look" obsession. PA lost a couple of good mom-and-pops about that time. Seem to recall a very cool one on Rt. 611 around Furlong. Pity, but such is life...

·
Registered
872 Posts
Triumph dealers are being FORCED to have only their bikes in one setup, some dealers like mine Hermy's added on $$$$ BMW's on one side Triumphs on the other, an expensive venture for sure!!!
My Triumph dealer has KTM as well as Triumph. Another shop has Kawasaki & Suzuki. One has Honda & Yamaha. Only BMW (that I can think of) only have their own brand, but that shop is shared with BMW cars. I'm in a fairly small town so I'd think shared dealerships are pretty common.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My Triumph dealer has KTM as well as Triumph. Another shop has Kawasaki & Suzuki. One has Honda & Yamaha. Only BMW (that I can think of) only have their own brand, but that shop is shared with BMW cars. I'm in a fairly small town so I'd think shared dealerships are pretty common.

Yes and BMW found this out and started recommending some dealers take on another brand to increase sales. However, the multi brand BMW dealers have each brand separated by either minimum amount of floor space for each brand or separate showrooms on the same property. The dealer closest to me has BMW in one showroom and Ducati and Triumph in another.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
The bike shops that get busy in my area are the ones with a café on site, it brings people in, they start looking at the bikes, next thing they've bought one, whether they wanted it or not. They only called in for a bacon butty & brew! I know this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With the situation of dealers that sell Triumph either closing down totally or no longer selling Triumph we, as enthusiasts of the brand, look for that glimmer of hope. Triumph reports improved financials for 2017, a good sign? Triumph getting into Moto2 next year. The new solo brand Triumph dealer, like the one I visited last year in Miami. I see a new solo brand Triumph dealer also opening in Albuquerque NM. Not bad news but doesn't help us who have lost dealers with no one replacing them in our area. Then I see this article: https://www.news-press.com/story/news/2017/11/27/indian-triumph-motorcycles-find-home-fort-myers/891929001/.

A brand new dealer selling Triumph and Indian. The exterior paint of the building is not black. So maybe there is some wiggle room with Triumph for a motorcycle shop wanting to sell the brand. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
2 good dealerships in southern NY are gone, Ed's Service and Rockwells. Apparently we have 2 new local dealerships. I'm in the NY metro area so we are bound to have Triumph dealer. But something is definately going on.

I had a friend in one dealership and heard that Triumph kept pushing certain bikes on them, and not giving them bikes that they wanted.

Both dealerships nearly simultaneously dropped Triumph.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
We haven't lost or gained any new dealers here in PA over the past year.
Got sticker shock browsing the new bike inventory - $14,000 - 20,050 for a Tiger?

Guess I'll be keeping the 06 Girlie for another decade or two.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We have two businesses that sell and service Triumph bikes they are Canandaigua Motorsports and Cycle Stop Inc here in central NY. I just want to say for the record that both establishment were very helpful to me. The followup calls back to me impressed me. With Cycle Stop Inc i bought a New 2017 T120 there Service dept i give a 10 out 10 .They are helpful and knowledgeable and respectfull. Sales Department so nice to deal and with the parts department very helpful and cheerfull . Please keep these .Triumph! . Respectfully submitted triumph lover.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
With the situation of dealers that sell Triumph either closing down totally or no longer selling Triumph we, as enthusiasts of the brand, look for that glimmer of hope. Triumph reports improved financials for 2017, a good sign? Triumph getting into Moto2 next year. The new solo brand Triumph dealer, like the one I visited last year in Miami. I see a new solo brand Triumph dealer also opening in Albuquerque NM. Not bad news but doesn't help us who have lost dealers with no one replacing them in our area. Then I see this article: https://www.news-press.com/story/news/2017/11/27/indian-triumph-motorcycles-find-home-fort-myers/891929001/.

A brand new dealer selling Triumph and Indian. The exterior paint of the building is not black. So maybe there is some wiggle room with Triumph for a motorcycle shop wanting to sell the brand. Time will tell.

I think Indian and Triumph could compliment each other as Triumph has washed their hands of cruisers. Indian is all about cruisers and Triumph is focused on the modern classics.

My local Indian dealer has recently added Moto Guzzi.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
They’re still derivatives of the modern classic line. Neither play in the same league as the big Indian cruisers which is my point. With the demise of the Thunderbird and to a lesser degree the Rocket, I think Indian and Triumph can coexist successfully under one roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know and care little about business but here is a site https://hbr.org/1983/05/the-five-stages-of-small-business-growth or you can search "5 Stages of Business Growth." I will speculate that Triumph is in Stage III-D where the owners do not seek growth; are satisfied with what they have. That could explain Triumph's seemingly cavalier attitude toward losing marginal dealerships and not being aggressive about opening replacements and not opening dealerships in or near larger urban areas such as Madison, WI. They had Sharer Cycles but now someone from Madison must drive to Janesville, WI 46 minutes away to buy and service a new Triumph motorcycle.

·
Registered
349 Posts
now someone from Madison must drive to Janesville, WI 46 minutes away to buy and service a new Triumph motorcycle.
True- but the Janesville Dealer (Team Power Sports) is awesome! I drive ~ 60 miles one way to this dealership to get my Tex serviced. They are a mom & pop shop, and they let me use a loaner bike when I have to leave the bike with them. I don't have anything bad to say about the local Milwaukee Triumph dealer, but Todd & Darcy are the best! I hope that Triumph N. America doesn't give them the brush off!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I live in Nashville, TN, and while we do have a dealer here in town, I found a better deal on a 2017 SScrambler at National Powersports in Pembroke, NH. So I flew in and took a scenic ride back to Tennessee. I do my own maintenance so am not tied to a dealership as long as I can get parts online. National Powersports has 50,000 sf of mostly used bikes of all brands and is a Triumph dealer. They had around 450 bikes on display while I was there. I had a great experience with them and would recommend at least checking out their website. They do a lot of internet sales and provide shipping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I live in Nashville, TN, and while we do have a dealer here in town, I found a better deal on a 2017 SScrambler at National Powersports in Pembroke, NH. So I flew in and took a scenic ride back to Tennessee. I do my own maintenance so am not tied to a dealership as long as I can get parts online. National Powersports has 50,000 sf of mostly used bikes of all brands and is a Triumph dealer. They had around 450 bikes on display while I was there. I had a great experience with them and would recommend at least checking out their website. They do a lot of internet sales and provide shipping.
So, even after airfare from TN to NH and all the gas, food, and lodging expenses on the ride back the Scrambler from NH was cheaper than the one from the local dealer?

Amazing...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got a $2300 discount on the bike. The trip cost me about $1000. They would have shipped it for $500. But you are missing the point. I got a new motorcycle and a week vacation and still saved $1300. Yes it is amazing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live relatively close to 2 Triumph Dealers. They both sell used bikes of different makes and service those bikes. One dealer also sells multiple different bikes from different manufacturers. The other primarily concentrates on triumphs and to a lesser extent the Zero electric motorcycle. I normally go to the smaller dealer since they are closer and their crew knows my name and we have a good relationship. I get very good service.
The dealers are limited as to what they can do to a bike. There isn't much heavy duty customization going on since they aren't set up to do that line of work. However for factory parts and some aftermarket parts customization they are pretty good. The really heavy duty custom jobs I have to go somewhere else or do parts of it myself and other parts here and there.
HD is sinking like the Titanic both because their customer base is older and beginning to stop riding and because other HD customers are selling their HD and switching over to Indian. As a result Indian which has been experiencing double digit growth does so primarily at HD's expense and Indian's main customer base are aging boomers typically in the 2nd cohort.

Triumph is capitalizing on producing modern Retro looking bikes. And these bikes are unusual enough to stand out and have a "coolness" factor all by themselves. They appeal to both the Boomers and X'ers...and some Millenials who want to ride something different than what the herd rides (HD for the Boomers or Japanese Sport Bikes for younger Millennials).

Triumph makes most of their bikes overseas in Thailand and does more worldwide sales than sales in the US. This allows Triumph to price their bikes competitively (albeit at a higher price) against their larger Japanese competitors on sportbikes. The Thunderbird and Rocket while they both have die hard fans; aren't real money makers for Triumph. The hot bike that is flying off showroom floors are: the Bobber, the Thruxton R, the T120 Bonneville and the Speedmaster. And I think (as an outsider) that is a good approximation.

The Bobber is begging for a Larger Gas Tank and Forward Foot Controls, and better shocks and brakes. And both the Bobber and the Thruxton are begging for a Turbo Charging Kit. There is some real money that can be made if Triumph offered these features as options. And Triumph would be best to dump the original Bobber, and switch to the Bobber Black and offer the Bobber Black in different colors. And to have a tubeless spoked rims. They would also be better off dumping the T100 and Street Twin and America: reducing the number of models but offering the remaining models with more options for customization. After all...isn't customization all part of "Going your own way"? and "Standing out from the herd"? It aligns with the corporate branding.

Oh yeah...the Turn signals on both the Bobber and the Speedmaster are horribly ugly....and Triumph should change these so the Turn Signals don't screw up the Retro lines of both of these machines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Bobber is begging for a Larger Gas Tank and Forward Foot Controls, and better shocks and brakes. And both the Bobber and the Thruxton are begging for a Turbo Charging Kit. There is some real money that can be made if Triumph offered these features as options.
I suspect you're underestimating the cost to develop and carry such options, and overestimating the marginal profits.

In my experience, over-expanding product lines with too many models and options is a pretty efficient way to end up bankrupt.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
When I see the % some of these new leftovers drop I'm shocked at what actual cost must be! my SDR was reduced 25% or $5000 for quick sale it was the 'SE' so it's not unreasonable to expect a higher margin, but still My dealer had a new leftover Commander for $9600!! and that's with the factory incentives the dealer's still making his margin. Makes me think manufacturers are selling bikes for 4 times the cost of manufacture.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
When I see the % some of these new leftovers drop I'm shocked at what actual cost must be! my SDR was reduced 25% or $5000 for quick sale it was the 'SE' so it's not unreasonable to expect a higher margin, but still My dealer had a new leftover Commander for $9600!! and that's with the factory incentives the dealer's still making his margin. Makes me think manufacturers are selling bikes for 4 times the cost of manufacture.
At least with cars, the raw cost of manufacture of European cars is/was ~ 60% of US MSRP. Cost of R&D, certification, transportation, warranty, infrastructure, advertising & marketing, financing, etc., etc., etc. doesn't leave a lot of wiggle.

Hard to say how the above relates to bikes but dealers typically have 8% - 10% available, invoice to MSRP. Dealers have a lot of overhead too. No doubt that Commander was a big loser for TNA though.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts