Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming the my '98 has the original stock restricted carb rubbers as indicated my the hole/dimple in the side. In my plan to go with pods and jets this off season, unrestricted rubbers would be appropriate while it's down.

Are these the carb rubbers I need? 1996 Sprint 900 about right? $40 for a set used about right? There are three people already watching this ebay BIN listing and I hope its not one of us here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-TRIUMPH-900-SPRINT-CARBURETOR-BOOTS-CLAMPS-/230926239997?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c446c8fd&vxp=mtr#ht_4194wt_1093

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Hmm, I was under the impression that the 98 models all had Keihin carbs, not Mikunis :dunno.

From the pic, although it's not too clear it does look like the inside lip on one side is rounded and the other is sharp and I see no dimples, that would indicate that they would be suited to Mikunis.

The Keihin rubbers have both rounded inside lips (if you know what I mean!).

OK I give in, here's a pic I knocked up to try describe the differences -

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Arfer. The drawing is great and shows a difference that is never really pointed out that I have seen here. I can't really account for such a subtle difference in lip design though and how it would even make a diference? :confused:

Perhaps the biggest thing is the ones listed are at least obviously unrestricted and don't have the hymen of the original restricted with the dimple mark indicator.

In anyone's opinion, is $41 shipped any great big screamin bargain for a used set off of a '96 Sprint when compared to just ordering up a brand new set for the Tiger part number listed in our Proven Set-up thread? What are they new now anyway? Like $15-$18 each now that I can get anytime later?

and yeah, my stock '98 was the last of the Mikunis and restricted rubbers. Damnit. :rolleyes:

edit: Hey wait! The Bentwrench mod might just be grind out the restriction with a rotary file... and spend $41 on beer instead. :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

As you can see in the first picture, the round & sloped ridges on the Mikuni & Keihin carbs are at different distances from the end of the spigot. When fitting with pods, the carbs are unsupported (by the airbox), and so having the correct intake rubbers becomes important to holding the carbs securely to the head.

The second picture shows the Mikuni restricted intake rubber with its 'dimple'. There are two dimples, one each side, and they are deep enough to render the intake rubber useless if the restricting rubber is removed from the inside. Obviously some of the restriction could be removed, but you would never gain the same as an unrestricted intake rubber (& getting all three universally the same/balanced would be very difficult).

Fyi, the Tiger & Sprint (& Trident/Daytona/Trophy/Speed Triple) all share the same intake rubber part number for their Mikuni carbs (ignoring Calif models, etc..). I guess the Ebay item may be at a premium, with it having all the clips as well? But there must be a risk in buying 17 year old rubber parts?
(Fyi, I think I am seeing the new intake rubbers at less than $10 each {BikeBandit}, & worth checking with your Triumph dealer - part# 1240080-T0301).

HTH?
Geoff

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Thanks for the extra info Geoff, I knew there were differences but had no idea of the actual measurements. All I remember is that the Mikuni ones have that sharp lip (or was it the Keihin ones - my memory is getting worse :confused:).

I also agree that spending fourty bucks on second hand ones, especially so old, is not worth it. Better to spend a bit more and get brand new. Those clips are quite expensive though - five euros each which is a lot for such a small part.

·
Registered
792 Posts
yep geoffe is spot on with the part number i got mines last year they were from the old triumph tiger but am sure they was the same part number geoffe said i think i paid arnd £20 for the full set and deffo dont be go buying those used ones even with the clips your old ones will be fine atleast they were with mines no issues but i do retain the airbox just my 2 p worth

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
That last part no. Geoff quotes is the unrestricted Tiger ones for Mikunis IIRC.

I wouldn't go buying s/hand either, and def not at $40. Opportunity to replace them with new. I'm amazed they last as long as they do the way they get pushed & pulled with intake strokes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to post a bit of warning here about replacing carb rubbers, I just replaced mine. I used the stock hose clamps, but they limit the amount of compression to the point where I have vacuum leaks on all three carbs (verified with starting fluid). This with brand new rubbers! Doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe with warming up, the flanges would expand and seal off. Any way, I have ordered clamps without limits on them.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Are you sure you got the correct rubbers jvanoonk? If they're the wrong ones they will be loose.

I bought new Keihin rubbers and used the original Mikuni hose clamps on them and they hold tight, the rear clamps are entirely different of course.

·
Registered
792 Posts
+1 on wat arfer says i used the old clamps on mine not a prob just wondered if you mixed them up with the airbox clamps not sure if they differ or not i kept mine with wat they came off just in case

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts