Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to know if the engines are the same in the Speed Triple models from 2012 through 2018.... ? The same in the area of dimensions and where they fit in the frames. Wanting to know as I'm contemplating putting a newer engine (2018 1050cc) in an older frame... According to one online seller the frame is the same from 1994 - 2018.... I'd be looking at a 2008 frame from a Speed Triple 1050... I think some design elements will be different but the position of bolt holes, engine mounting points etc could well be the same. Any experienced advice would be most welcome...:)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes, the engine mounting architecture is the same from 1997 to date. I believe your online sellers advice that the frame is the same from 1994 -2018 is incorrect but am happy to be corrected. I know the frames are essentially the same (bar colour/finish and a few tabs) from 1997 until end 2010. They changed in 2011 and remain the same to date. What is critical is the frame to engine spacers. These have to be correct otherwise you risk fracturing engine mountings. When removing an engine it is imperative that the spacer thicknesses/positions are noted and replaced exactly the same. Because you're bringing an engine and frame together that weren't originally a pair just go a little slower, check the gaps and space accordingly before you go tightening the mounting bolts. Read the workshop manual for details. Curiously the Haynes manual is a little better that the shop manual in it's description of how to go about checking spacer requirements and the frame/engine mounting bolts tightening sequence.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Have a look at this thread. Later engine into earlier frame.

I've not tried this mod myself but looking at the two frames (2002 Daytona/2008 speed 3 verses the 2015 Speed 3 R/Speed3 RS - I've all four bikes!) I concluded you would need to drill a few bits out.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a look at this thread. Later engine into earlier frame.

I've not tried this mod myself but looking at the two frames (2002 Daytona/2008 speed 3 verses the 2015 Speed 3 R/Speed3 RS - I've all four bikes!) I concluded you would need to drill a few bits out.

Regards

Rob
Thanks so much for that link Rob, that's just the kind of info I have been looking for. Simply put, it can be done with some minor mods. Cheers:)

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Couple of other links worth reading which also shows the difference in the ecu technology.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
And if you want to go a bit further with the engine you can go my route, though Id use the earlier ECU from 955 machines (as Parts Bin Special) as these can easily have the rev range lifted above the 9900 limit with all but the latest Speed 3s (post 2018 ride by wire).

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
didn't the 2016 get 104 new parts? The 2011 frame is different from 2010 but IDK if that matters in regards to engine mounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts