Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Hoping to get direction over the T140 Seat impasse.

An obvious difference between a T140 1973-77 Seat and a T140 79-80 Seat is that the later version had a drop side finish towards the front.

What I'd like to establish is whether these seats had different seat pan fixing points and orientation.

Or did both ranges have identical seat pan fixing points?

The seat I have perfectly fits a T140E (1980), but nothing aligns on my 1977 T140 frame, not to mention the 1/2" clearance between the seat stoppers and the top of the frame.

Cheers.

R

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The simple answer is yes.

I have an '82 UK Estart seat on my '78 T140V. HOWEVER if you use a '79 or later seat you will also need to get the lock tab catch plate 83-7329. Another small bit to consider changing is the rear hinge. Use one from an '82 part number 83-7842(& Tab Cover 83-7544) This hinge has a tab on to prevent the seat from 'overopening' also with this you can eliminate to seat check wire.

As an aside when Triumph obsoleted(during1978) the '60s/'70s vintage twin cylinder oil tank model seats they superseded the part to '73 and later US model seats. While these seats do bolt up to the earlier bikes & function is no problem there is a slight gap at the tank as the later seat is about 1" shorter.

K

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The simple answer is yes.

I have an '82 UK Estart seat on my '78 T140V. HOWEVER if you use a '79 or later seat you will also need to get the lock tab catch plate 83-7329. Another small bit to consider changing is the rear hinge. Use one from an '82 part number 83-7842(& Tab Cover 83-7544) This hinge has a tab on to prevent the seat from 'overopening' also with this you can eliminate to seat check wire.

As an aside when Triumph obsoleted(during1978) the '60s/'70s vintage twin cylinder oil tank model seats they superseded the part to '73 and later US model seats. While these seats do bolt up to the earlier bikes & function is no problem there is a slight gap at the tank as the later seat is about 1" shorter.

K
Thanks K.

Then how would you tackle this situation?

Purchase Wassell seat.

1. The hinge holes need to be slotted left to right to align with the seat pan holes.

2. Seat sits 1/2" above the frame (seat stoppers don't touch the frame so all the weight is on the hinges and frame lugs.

3. Latch flange on seat doesn't align with the latch plunger hole on the frame (too far forward about 12 mm).

4. Front seat hinge is hard up against its frame lug, but the rear hinge sits only halfway onto its rear frame lug (can't move seat further backwards to align the latch).

Problem is, this Seat aligns OK on a T140E (1980)???

Is my frame (1977)cactus.

No sign of accident damage and frame/engine numbers align.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Rod

I will take a few measurements and get back with you What is the first part of your VIN ? (example GP75XXX) I want to see if I have anything close.

K

UPDATE I have a PP79xxx that I will use for checking purposes may take a day or so due to available time

K

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rod

I will take a few measurements and get back with you What is the first part of your VIN ? (example GP75XXX) I want to see if I have anything close.

K

UPDATE I have a PP79xxx that I will use for checking purposes may take a day or so due to available time

K
Thanks K.

The camaraderie among owners blows me away.

No hurry, I'm in Bangkok at the moment.

My frame number starts with DP825XXX

Cheers

R R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts