Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The TBS has a 3-way adjustable rear shock. People swap this for a Hagon 2-way adjustable. What makes it better?

From the Jack Lilley website:
Hagon Rear Shock Absorber
Featuring adjustable damping with automatic rebound and compression balance. Also adjustable for spring preload with adjuster ring. Fully rebuildable, red powder coated spring and plated body. Supplie
JL Reference Number:
M66012 Price: £255

D

·
0 Posts
I think it's because the Hagon can be specified to a customer's requirements. The reason I want one is because my '99 Legend is not adjustable, not even on spring preload.

Also, is the TBS shock remote resivoir? I know this gives the Hagon an easy adjustment.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TBS doesn't have remote reservoir and the standar Hagon doesn't have this either but I see you can order it with one at a supplement.

On a Legend it would be abig upgrade, but on the TBS I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The TBS has a remote reservoir; its mounted to the fender right by the secondary airbox snorkle under the seat. Here is a photo of it.

Honestly, unless you are going for a WP or Penske 3-way I wouldn't bother upgrading the rear shock as the stocker is pretty good.

[ This message was edited by: TBSstunta on 2006-12-07 08:25 ]

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I concur - The TBS stock shock is very good for an OEM unit (255 notes isnt going to get you a better one). Very different from those used ont he rest of the classic range which in my experience are complete pants.

[ This message was edited by: MickMaguire on 2006-12-07 09:29 ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the sound advice. I WON'T be tempted now!

Also, Stunta, thanks for the photo and info on the shock remote. You can tell that I haven't got the bike yet, that is, it's still in the dealer's getting repaired and ready for its cafe racer makeover.
:)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Useful info.....

Thanks, lads! :)

Nige. :cool:

P.S.

Is the stock TBS unit rebuildable, by the way?

Ta!

Nige. :???:

[ This message was edited by: Ballacraine on 2006-12-07 15:13 ]

·
Registered
590 Posts
MY local suspension guru reckons all rear bike shocks are rebuildable. He said" I havent met a shockie yet that I couldnt rebuild"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
checked out other options. Bitubo in Italy do a TBS shock and seems good value compared to Ohlins. You can buy the Bitubo rear shocks from Mecatwin.com in France. They recommend lowering the back by 25mm and raising the front by 30mm.
They are sure that will 'transform' the TBS!! Shcok is 585€ if I remember rightly.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
They recommend lowering the back by 25mm and raising the front by 30mm.
That goes against the common concensus.

I would wait until you have ridden the bike for a few weeks first

[ This message was edited by: MickMaguire on 2006-12-08 06:58 ]

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
senyorsimon wrote:
...and raising the front by 30mm.
MickMaguire wrote:
That goes against the common concensus.
Lowering the height of the front is accomplished by sliding the forks up through the clamps so more of the fork tube sits above the top clamp.

Lowering the front is sometimes called raising the front because you are sliding the forks up throught the top clamps. Think about it this way, stock the fork tubes are flush with the top-clamp so you actually can't safely raise the height of the front you can only lower it. I think MT are talking about lowering the overall height of the bike to reduce the top-heavy feel of the bike.

MickMaguire wrote:
I would wait until you have ridden the bike for a few weeks first
This I agree with, but generally what you can do is slide the forks up through the top clamp 1/8" – 1/4" which will quicken the handling nicely but not make the bike skittish.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
On 2006-12-08 10:36, TBSstunta wrote:
This I agree with, but generally what you can do is slide the forks up through the top clamp 1/8" – 1/4" which will quicken the handling nicely but not make the bike skittish.
I was actually speaking in general terms but with a particular eye on the shock change. Adjusting the fork height is free, but the shock isn't. As a general rule ride a bike a bit BEFORE you start throwing money at changes, establish what you like and dont like and get used to how the stock bike rides - that way you will KNOW if its an improvement and if it was necessary rather than taking somebody else's biased opinion on it.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
On 2006-12-08 11:02, MickMaguire wrote:
...rather than taking somebody else's biased opinion on it.
Dude, don't get pissy just because I know what's best for everyone. :-D

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
On 2006-12-08 11:10, TBSstunta wrote:
Dude, don't get pissy just because I know what's best for everyone. :-D
LOL!

Sorry TBS I wasn't meaning you I meant that the company selling the shock would be biased - as they want to sell the shock. :-D

·
Registered
187 Posts
So the TBS shock would be a major upgrade for a Legend.
Since a good used one is much cheaper than a Hagon is it a direct fit? Are there and other models which will fit (assuming the sprint, trophy, etc... are better than the stock Legend part)?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Firstly, re: raising or dropping, I translated the French 'remonter' on the Mecatwin site for the usual 'raise', so they probably mean 'raise the forks through the yoke', which is the dsame as 'dropping the yoke'!! Same thing, different perspective.
Good advice from our moderator, ie, try it out first then spend yer cash. I'll raise the forks a bit, maybe 20mm and see what effect that has before touching the rear end. Actually, someone once said 'never adjust both ends' Mmm...

The only doubt re: cross model compatibility for shock upgrades would be the positioning of the remote reservoir IMHO, as per TBStunta's photo above. But I'll leave the final verdict up to the Techies.

All I'd say is, would you need a 'good' shock if you're using your Legend on the road. If you wanna up the pace, maybe you need to step up to a TBS or SP3 ?

:-D

·
Registered
844 Posts
I seem to remember finding a reference or two to suspension shops being able to rebuild the tbs shock. I think the reference was initially to someone loosing the pressure in there shock and getting it recharged. Changing the oil was easy at that point, though IIRC there is a hidden (or not obvious) locking ring or cover on it. It is either a Showa or KYB (Kayaba) unit (it's on the reservoir label).

I would think any competent dirt bike or race bike shop could figure it out.

The big advantage with the Hagon, etc, is that the preload is actually adjustable! Yes, technically the TBS shock is adjustable, but I get tired of smacking the adjuster ring with a pin punch and a hammer, and I end up leaving it midway betweeen one up and two up unless I/we are going on a trip. The Hagon has a small hydraulic circuit remotely mounted (or at least it is available) to adjust the preload.

[ This message was edited by: Mojoinco on 2006-12-10 14:58 ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts