Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hell, I am not ashamed to admit it.

Glancing into a shop window looking at my reflection whilst riding (slowly) by - cool.

Pedestrians stopping mid step and staring open mouthed as I ride by - brilliant.

Loud exhaust cans setting off car alarms - magic

Looking at the surprise in the other guys face on his Jap machine when my retro cafe racer blasts past - priceless

Chatting to interested peeps about my bike when parked up - honoured

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Personnally, I take pride in all of my bikes. I customize everyone of them and enjoy attention should the bike get it. I don't consider myself a poser because I don't do it to please anyone;only myself. Should someone not like what I have done with a bike ...who cares. It' my hobby.

BTW, I do like what you have done with your Triumph.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re-enacting? Posing? I'm not concerned. It's just what I like, and what I like to wear. The Rocker period was "it" for me. Not really interested in choppers or sportbikes.

But the cuff issue is a trick question! I really should have the trousers tucked into some sea hose folded over my boots. But it was Summer in California when that shot was taken.

I would be perfectly content if motorcycling (and the associated gear) never progressed past 1965.

Never mind I'm on an OIF. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
i pose my ass off,when the girlies are scopin me,,
really when i got it,i never thought of it as a strike a pose bike,in fact was awhile before i ever crossed mirror glass on it,,but when i did,i made a second drive by,i realized just how total package my thrux was,i love it and love how i look on it

·
Registered
87 Posts
funny thing I sold my Bonneville party due to having to talk to people everytime I got off it (yes I can be anti social) Riding my 70' Daytona around nobody has said boo, but now back on the Thruxon it is the same problem. Oh well I might as well just pose and be done with it:cool:

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
All bikers are posers! Nevermind what you ride :D

I don't know one that doesn't occasionaly check themselves out in a shop window.

Ok I lie. The people who ride for cheap transport aren't posers the rest? Definately

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
All bikers are posers! Nevermind what you ride :D

I don't know one that doesn't occasionaly check themselves out in a shop window.

Ok I lie. The people who ride for cheap transport aren't posers the rest? Definately
I'd say anybody who takes themselves too seriouslly, tries too hard, wants acceptance, or is on bike for a reason other than becasue it is rather nice to ride one, is a poser.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not at all. A poser is someone who pretends to be someone he's not. A guy who buys a bike but never rides it or only rides it to the pub. To me that is a poser. Nothing to back the look.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Guys we're all posers. We claim its for ourselves but who are we kiddin',.....we do it for the BABES! "Wanna ride honey?" hehehehe

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not at all. A poser is someone who pretends to be someone he's not. A guy who buys a bike but never rides it or only rides it to the pub. To me that is a poser. Nothing to back the look.
yeah thats right,,but i dont think thats the context of his question

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only poseur

Hmm, pretty much the only guaranteed for the most part poseur is

- The guy wearing a Misfits T-shirt at a punk rock show in the 1980s
- The guy wearing a Misfits T-shirt at a Grunge show in the 1990s
- The guy wearing a Misfits T-shirt outside any show begging for money to get in, then buying beer, and staying outside.

As for the question of this post. My understanding was that cafe racers started as a way to customize the bike to go faster, handle better, to get from one point to another. And at the time British bikes were pretty much considered to be the best, and the movement started in Britain.

If my intention is to relive and be the Cafe riding rocker of that time period than yes I'm posing.

If my intention is buy the bike that i looks the way it looks, and rides, and I can afford, and I can afford to customize, and I actually ride my bike. Then no i'm not posing.

There is no reason why someone born today, cant have the same taste, personality, or desires, that someone had in the past or the future.

I think its the intention that matters.

In my city, I give my number out all the time, to people with all bikes, to go ride with. These are people with personalities that I get along with. Their choice of bike didn't matter to me. Funny thing is, the people that ride mostly with me and invite me to are:

1. A weekend Harley guy with a Road King, a Dyna, a Sportster 1200.
2. A Harley mechanic with a Dyna and a unfinished homebuilt chopper.
3. My brother with a Husqvaurana dual sport turned super-moto
4. My brothers friend with a Honda CBR something.
5. A few guys in a dual sport club here.
6. Occasionally a guy with a Virago 250 from 10 years ago rides.

Not one Bonneville or Thruxton rider here ever calls to ride. Don't know why. They are nice enough when I see them though.

The Husqvaurana and CBR rider (used to ride a KLR) ride pretty much anytime, hot, cold, rain, dark, light.

The Harley guys often do ask lots of weather related questions. And usually have no gear on.

Since I wasn't alive in the sixties I like my bike because i get a general feel of what it must have been like.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Mario,

Interesting post. I agree intention matters.

I also agree that people can appreciate look, style that someone had in the past. Why not?

I also choose who I ride with by the character and personality of the individual. I would add just a bit to that. Sometimes a foaf comes along and has skull mask and skid lid leather vest with a million patches, ect. I admit tend to look at those guys a little suspiciouly at first.. but nevertheless I have found some to be good people to ride with and some just not my type. I would like to ride with some English bikes but they are few and far.

I live just few miles from the Orange County Choppers. They have a strong effect on the syles and perceptions of people around here. ...I think it sucks.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
All of us bonnie rides know yall thrxton riders are posers lol.Yall look fast but we are just as fast lol.Anyone that dresses up to go rideing is a poser,no better then the guy on a hog with a rag on his head and hd all over him.I ride cause i love it .I dont care if anyone sees me or not.How many of you lived in the 60s? That rocker stuff did noy happen in the USA like some think ,maybe it did in England.Bike gangs where big here in the 60s and anyone that rode a bike was looked at as a bad boy.Back then the bike gangs over here would of killed them rocker guys.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Mario,

Interesting post. I agree intention matters.

I also agree that people can appreciate look, style that someone had in the past. Why not?

I also choose who I ride with by the character and personality of the individual. I would add just a bit to that. Sometimes a foaf comes along and has skull mask and skid lid leather vest with a million patches, ect. I admit tend to look at those guys a little suspiciouly at first.. but nevertheless I have found some to be good people to ride with and some just not my type. I would like to ride with some English bikes but they are few and far.

I live just few miles from the Orange County Choppers. They have a strong effect on the syles and perceptions of people around here. ...I think it sucks.

" I also agree that people can appreciate look, style that someone had in the past. Why not? "

I agree with that 100%

If one likes a look and feels it's them and run with it how does that make one a poseur ? It's when does it to try to impress others .

Reenacting ( you still running with that , McQueen ?:D) ? If it's your bag , it's your bag . Besides , who's anyone to dictate what's cool or what's the " O.G ." ? If you're sporting the " Reenacting " garb but it's your style it's your style . It's when the guy is stopping every mile wash off the bug he splattered on his top dollar leather jacket is when you gotta raise the bullsh!t flag .
As for me I know what I like and I do what I do . Whatever's on anyone else's agenda is on them .

I guess the moral of it is if you " dig " a style or way of life and you do it for you you can't be a poseur .

It's when one puts on the boots , jacket and slicks the pomade to impress others and to fit in is what makes one a poseur and a lemming. Or my favorite term : " Bad Boy Brad "

·
Registered
76 Posts
Call me crazy but the parent post makes more sense to me if read "Are Cafe Racer Owners Dandies?" or vain/desiring attention, rather than "posers" or someone who wants to appear as something they aren't.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess I am a poseur.

Here I am posing on the starting grid of the last Thruxton Cup race this year(#826).

Oh and here I am posing for the lady waving the checkered flag as I came in first. I feel like such a poseur on my cafe racer... NOT!!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts