Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys,

looking at buying a Speedmaster and rode both the America and the Speedy the other day at a dealer.

I was absolutely stunned at how much I didn't enjoy the America and surprised at the stupid grin I got from riding the Speedmaster.

Now, the reason for the dislike of the America was probably the aftermarket pipes they had, because they were actually pretty annoying rather than being "lumpy". And the windshield caused both mine and my daughters helmets to nearly vibrate off on the freeway BUT....the Speedmaster actually felt like a whole different bike - I didn't want to give it back.

I had a Harley for a while, and now an old Kawasaki - I know I want a Speedmaster. I love the look and the feel of it.

So....are they generally that much different to ride or was mine a "once off". I don't even look at Americas now (to consider buyin), whereas before I rode that one I figured a decent America was as good as a Speedy.

Peter

·
Registered
189 Posts
The fundamental difference between the two is the handlebar set up, and this obviously has a huge effect on the riding position.
Everything else is cosmetic.

If you find a good America for sale then you could always fit new bars and risers.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
850 Posts
Its a very personal decision. When I was considering buying a new bike in 2011, I sat on the America, Speedmaster, and Bonneville. For me, the seating position on the America was by far the most comfortable. I ended up buying a 2011 America Touring model (with the windshield, leather bags, passenger backrest and luggage rack) which is set up like the 2010 model. The wider handlebars, for me, is more comfortable and feels like it makes turning easier than the more tucked in newer handlebars. I do agree about the stock windscreen, which created unacceptable (to me) wind noise and turbulence, but after upgrading to a Clearview screen I was happy. Performance wise there is little difference I believe between the America and Speedmaster since they share the same engine and basic set-up. This is my first Triumph and I have been extremely happy with it. I worried about power from this smallish engine, but I have no trouble getting away from stoplights ahead of all the cars, and can comfortably ride the highway two-up at 75+ so I am satisfied.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The fundamental difference between the two is the handlebar set up, and this obviously has a huge effect on the riding position.
Everything else is cosmetic.

If you find a good America for sale then you could always fit new bars and risers.

+1

I wasn't aware of how much a handlebar set could affect the way a bike could handle OR contribute to the rider's comfort, but it does.

Short as I am (32" sleeve length), my arms are just long enough to effect relatively sharp turns, but a bit short for u-turns from a complete stop.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You should try my current set up of 8" chump bars over the 5" Speedmaster risers...
Much slower to turn in and requires effort and concentration. But, very comfortable and really straightens your back!

A little extreme but demonstrates the versatility of our bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a very personal decision. When I was considering buying a new bike in 2011, I sat on the America, Speedmaster, and Bonneville. For me, the seating position on the America was by far the most comfortable. I ended up buying a 2011 America Touring model (with the windshield, leather bags, passenger backrest and luggage rack) which is set up like the 2010 model. The wider handlebars, for me, is more comfortable and feels like it makes turning easier than the more tucked in newer handlebars. I do agree about the stock windscreen, which created unacceptable (to me) wind noise and turbulence, but after upgrading to a Clearview screen I was happy. Performance wise there is little difference I believe between the America and Speedmaster since they share the same engine and basic set-up. This is my first Triumph and I have been extremely happy with it. I worried about power from this smallish engine, but I have no trouble getting away from stoplights ahead of all the cars, and can comfortably ride the highway two-up at 75+ so I am satisfied.
I've always liked the "look" of the Speedmaster (and America). You can't beat it in my opinion.

Mind you, I too was a little dubious about the motor.....I mean and 865 on a cruiser when everything else seems to have some whopping behemoth. Then I read some motorcycle articles questioning whether we really need these huge engines in bikes. then - after riding the other day - I came to the conclusion that the 865 feels just right for me. It was great. I had the 1600 in my Softail, and whilst it was a great bike, I simply don't need that kind of thing.

Nope.....a black and white Speedmaster is out there somewhere with my name on it. I'll just bide my time.
:D
Peter

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought Speedy instead of America. The reason is dual disk front brake. Changing the handle bar is easier than upgrading to the dual disk. Thus is the reason of buying the Speedy.

YMMV

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess I will point out the obvious then lol

the front fork and wheel are different on the two. Both are "chunkier" on the America :)

and just an update the 2011-12 speedmasters have single disk up front. I was a little bummed on that. like why go from 2 disks to 1?
But you know I find the braking suffficient for this bike and the riding I do.

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

the front fork and wheel are different on the two. Both are "chunkier" on the America :)

and just an update the 2011-12 speedmasters have single disk up front. I was a little bummed on that. like why go from 2 disks to 1?

Well...here's the thing. I really want a black and white tank BUT......they stopped that in 2010.
I'd like to get a newer one but if it's not in that colour, then forget it. And they tell me the tanks don't interchange.

Can anyone tell me if the earlier bikes with the further forward foot pegs are any better to ride than the current crop with the pegs brought back ?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I have a 2012 Speedmaster... my understanding is that the 2010 and earlier Speedmasters had handlebars & pegs that are noticeably further forward. Though Rivco makes risers that can bring the handlebars back. Don't know about the pegs.

You should find one & sit on it -- I think you'll notice a fairly significant difference from the '11/'12 model. As others have said, you can change that with aftermarket parts, just a question of what tradeoffs make sense for you. Also, the current Speedmasters are all one color - red or black this year. We'll see what they offer for '13.

Let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well...here's the thing. I really want a black and white tank BUT......they stopped that in 2010.
I'd like to get a newer one but if it's not in that colour, then forget it. And they tell me the tanks don't interchange.

Can anyone tell me if the earlier bikes with the further forward foot pegs are any better to ride than the current crop with the pegs brought back ?
Just buy some White-Out and go to town!

Seriously though, you can always have your tank painted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just buy some White-Out and go to town!

Seriously though, you can always have your tank painted.
That's what a Dealer said, but if I get something I want it to be a factory tank - not something that some guy has had to try and match.

I'm going to try and test ride a 2010 and an 11 today, and see if there's any noticeable difference in the pegs. I have ridden both before but didn't take enough notice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.....took a 2010 Speedy for a test ride today with 5000 kays on the clock. Rode good.....didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the one I took on the recent ride day at a Triumph dealer. That was a current one.

I think it's the footpegs......I'm not short, but I seemed to be reaching for the foot mounts, whereas the current model seemed quite comfortable.

That ticks me off a fair bit, because I really love the black and white bikes and that colour isn't available these days....which really sucks.

So....do i consider a newer bike that feels good, or the older one which looks great ?

And one more thing.....I'm a little questioning when it comes to the metal finish on all the used bikes I've seen. The metal seems to tarnish very easily - even the chrome. Is it the quality fo the trim ?

Peter

·
Registered
524 Posts

Perhaps the other disk up front was a bit of overkill... Stops fine for me too just the same.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I like the blacked out engine the duel front disks and I actually made taller risers ( like 10" or so :) )

The Speedmaster Rules ! Lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just deliberated over the same question more or less, liked the paint job on the older speedy but the fit on the newer one. Felt ride comfort was much more a priority than looks, especialy since i mostly sit on it rather than look at it. I now own a 2011.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just deliberated over the same question more or less, liked the paint job on the older speedy but the fit on the newer one. Felt ride comfort was much more a priority than looks, especialy since i mostly sit on it rather than look at it. I now own a 2011.
Congrats!

I jumped on the 2011 SM when I found the newer model would fit my incredibly short legs far better.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts