Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2013 Speed Triple R I loved, then sold it when going through a series of bikes in an attempt to get my wife on the back. When I realized that wouldn’t happen, I picked up a low mile 2017 Speed R.

I was in LA when I had the first Speed, and now I’m in Minneapolis. Here, I need to wear winter gear to lengthen the riding season beyond a few months. However, the aggressive riding geometry had my winter pants bunched up enough behind my knees that I still have bruises from a 4 hour ride last weekend.

It’s an investment of freeway time and miles to get to nice roads from where I now live, so I’m thinking this will be a common issue, as any ‘good’ ride will be a few hours at least.

(On a side note, I’m now realizing that the use of stretch material on the back of the knee area on my track suit isn’t Rev’It cheaping out on leather, but a design to navigate just this issue.)

I’ve seen that some have used lower pegs, but that doing so brings the riders knees down over the carbon fiber infills, rather than the tank, and pushes their feet wide.

Has anyone tried a taller seat and bar risers to make more knee space by going that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have tried both of those solutions. when I lower my pegs I do the whole assembly not just the aftermarket pegs. I'll try to find a picture. This way the pegs are only moved out by the 1/4" thickness of the bracket Raising the seat is great to help put your knees in a better position. I'm 6' - 5" and my knees bump into the trailing edge of the fairing on my daytona 955, by adding a seat cushion on top of the stock seat I now clear the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
That’s interesting. Did you fabricate that bracket to lower the rearset or is that available for purchase somewhere?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that approach! And I’ll also ask if that bracket is available for purchase, or something you fabricated yourself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have made the brackets for each of my bikes. The Daytona is giving me some trouble because the exhaust runs close to the peg in the stock position. The 2012 S3 has the shift linkage going through the frame which isn't an option with the brackets, but the linkage clears the frame in the new position.
The only challenbe then is to find the right length rod. The local salvage yard should be able to help there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went with Knight Designs pegs. They don't list a model for my 2019 Speed Triple S but the the Street Triple one was an exact fit.
I have also purchased a second stock seat and will drop it off at Sargent to raise it 3/4 to 1 inch taller.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The vario and knight design pegs are an easy swap but I hear that they make the lever reach too far inwards. I feel like levers with an extended toe peg would completely solve the situation. I had such a thing on my Aprilia from knight designs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts