Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ape Hangers - look cool ?

My opinion only - some bikes with ape hangers look good - for me its about the "proportion". They suit some bikes because of the proportions of that bike - e.g. they would never look good on a Thruxton - they can look good on a hardtail Harley - as far as being practical concerned, when has fashion ever been practical.
Back in the seventies I had a chopped Harley 1942 WLA with fat rear tyre, extended forks etc - I could only ride it for about 20 minutes before my kidneys would ache like hell (hardtail and harder seat) - but I loved it. I dont think Apehangers fall into the catergory of fashion because they have been around for years.
I got the sack from 2 jobs because of long hair - it was fashionable in the seventies - the Bank where I worked hated it.
I watched a lad walk down the shopping mall the other day with the waist of his jeans so far under his bum that he could only shuffle along like a little chinese person - jesus I'm getting old.
Let the good times roll - Ray.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Witness stupid hairstyles that cost a fortune in "hair product" and makes you look like you've just got out of bed or been dragged through a hedge backwards. In my day if my barber made me look like that I would've punched him.
I eventually solved the stupid hairstyles problem - having had afros, mullets, mohawks, rat tails, and no haircuts at various times in my life - by going bald.

Of course, now baldness is fashionable...

Reactions: Wolfmanhawaii

·
Banned
947 Posts
I am going with 10 inch mini-apes on my 71.
Mine are a 7/8 diameter flanders set, with a kawasaki part number.
it is also getting forward controls. I am building a rider, so I wanted something that was comfortable for me

·
Registered
236 Posts
ok....breathe in...breathe out...big circle with your arms and....

:p

Let's tighten up our definitions...

There are "ape hangers" and then there are "baby apes". Typically anything under 12" rise is a "baby ape" and has been popular for years, albeit seen more on chopped bikes (think Easy Rider Captain Americas bars which were only 12" with like 4" risers I think) than anything else.

"APE HANGERS" :eek: as talked about today are ghastly 16" and taller things that create the "bug on the windshield" look so popular with ahem...another motorcompany's riders :D

Now, I happen to enjoy a mild 8" to 10" rise "ape" styled bar (stupid name imho) on certain bikes, and I do seem to remember them on some of the early 70s Bonnevilles.

Not sure if these were stock or not, (and actually they are closer to a buckhorn I think) but here's how my '71 looked when I bought it:

She didn't stay that way for too long, but I did keep the bars on her. If I get a chance I could put up a shot of her in a more stock configuration...

Nothing wrong with "baby apes" in my opinion, but yea, those things they're running around with today are out there... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, I'll gladly stand corrected, but the "rise" is similar on both-it's the "pullback" angle of the grips that separate a true buckhorn from a true "ape".

I was only using it as an example of "tall" profiled bar in comparison to the bars seen on Bonnevilles today...

·
Registered
236 Posts
no, you mentioned buckhorns...I think you were going that way. I was just trying to clarify

I have also heard them called "pullbacks"
Sorry man....didn't mean to come off like a dip-****e...

Yes-you're right "pullbacks" "buckhorns" etc. Sportsters came with these for years...

I took the buckhorns off my Honda Shadow (oops am I allowed to say that...? lol), and put on a set of Custom Chrome 10" Baby Apes-for just that reason, didn't like the angle of my wrists.

Been trying to get used to the stock bars on my Bonneville which are quite different to say the least...

Take care

·
Registered
336 Posts
Someone please tell me this is all a bad dream.

·
Banned
947 Posts
Sorry man....didn't mean to come off like a dip-****e...

Yes-you're right "pullbacks" "buckhorns" etc. Sportsters came with these for years...

I took the buckhorns off my Honda Shadow (oops am I allowed to say that...? lol), and put on a set of Custom Chrome 10" Baby Apes-for just that reason, didn't like the angle of my wrists.
I almost hate to admit it, but I think there is still a set of the funky shaped pullbacks off an 1100 virago in the top of my garage

·
Banned
153 Posts
So are those ape hagers 14'' or 16''

I'm looking at a pair of burley narrow glide 14'' or 16'' apes. The narrow glide have that nice narrow width at the risers seems to go well with the narrowness of the thrux over all. Maybe I can even keep the fairing on. Lower the ass end and add really bitch'en tall sissy bar to boot....

·
Banned
161 Posts
My 79 T-140 had OEM bars that I would call mini apes.

Terrible twitchy handling. Changed them out for OEM euros of the same vintage. It was a significant improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Every once in a while a thread gets dredged up and I'm glad...this has been entertaining reading (and viewing). :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I really think if you go tall that a narrow set of z bars is much better looking. A buddy of mine bought a street bob that had a set of apes on it. He switched over to a set of z-bars and I'm not sure why but the bike feels so much better. Turns in easier and just feels so much more solid. I think they flex less than the apes. Just my opinion though.

·
Banned
947 Posts
I did the tall apes and tall sissy bar thing back in the early 90s. I had the bars custom bent. They are 1 1/2diameter,and 43inches from tip to tip...
If someone is very perceptive they will notice that those are pan heads on a newer "cone" engine. You really cannot see it in the pics, but there are also spark plugs in the right side of those heads as well (harley plugs are normally on the left side)....I did a little work, building that engine

·
Banned
153 Posts
15" apes.

/M

Hey Thanks

adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.

·
Banned
153 Posts
yeah yeah I love that sissy bar the height and the turn back tip is exactly what i had in mind must be standard classic design I had seen before. I want one with no back cushion support. Nice bike .

41 - 60 of 81 Posts