Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
BAD apehanger stuff I have seen

Many who have never seen BAD apehanger stuff
happen may think "that wouldn't happen to MY bike"...
I have seen at least 4 times guys crash due to
some type of ape hanger failure...there are additional
torque forces on the mounts due to the long length of apehangers
I warned a riding buddy, but he ignored me...later when he hit
the brakes in a panic stop the tall bars torqued forward in
their mounts, putting him in an EXTREME CAFE racer position (not good)
but he didn't crash...others I have seen resulting in crashes from
the bars moving or the mounts breaking from the torque of those
long bars...you can get an upright position from other safer options.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I agree with OCGuy and I have to say that everytime I see someone riding a bike with apehangers, it makes me think how remarkably they look like someone with arms and legs outstretched splattering on a wall, Mac Truck grill, back end of car, huge boulder on side of road, etc.

·
Banned
206 Posts
That is a cool project bike but it shares nothing with a t100 except for the motor.

Putting ape hangers on a cruiser or anything with forward controls is pretty common. But the OP wants to put them on a standard t100 with standard mid-sets

Nice bike except fot the handlebars and forward controls. :cool:

As for doing what you want with your bike: go for it!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Not into ape-hangers myself, but I must say that they have become very fashionable with the HD crowd around here. Seems like every third Harley I see has a 12-inch or higher pair. Guess with the radically extended forks now being passe, another fashion was soon to jump up.

Reactions: Wolfmanhawaii

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Not into ape-hangers myself, but I must say that they have become very fashionable
I suppose I'm, like, from yesterday...:( I don't understand this fashion thing of today. No matter how stupid, uncomfortable or ridiculous, people latch on to these fashions just because someone in Madison Avenue and MTV says so.

Witness stupid hairstyles that cost a fortune in "hair product" and makes you look like you've just got out of bed or been dragged through a hedge backwards. In my day if my barber made me look like that I would've punched him.

Couple that with people wearing shorts, flip-flops and a HOOD or wooly hat over your head in the summer heat, just because David Beckham appeared in Hello! magazine like that...

Just today I've learned that he wears one half of his shirt tucked inside his "distressed" $2000 jeans and the other half hanging out...

Enormous trousers hanging off showing the crack of your arse...trainers on your feet the size of canoes, and with the laces undone...

Sorry. Rant over...:)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I suppose I'm, like, from yesterday...:(

snip

Sorry. Rant over...:)
You and me both. And yet, what do I hear ...

Get them daft flared trousers off, you look like a bloody sailor on shore leave. And get yer hair cut, you look like a bloody girl. And them beads, bloody hell, they'll think you're one of them homosexualists!

And so on, vintage 1969.

Nothing changes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You may be shock to find out triumph put high bars on some of there old bikes back in the day.
Yes they did and only for export to USA models. No way they could be described as Ape Hangers. I put them on my 61 TR6 and they were very comfortable. I am trying to replicate the same on my 2009T100.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts