Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I’ve just bought a 2013 Sprint GT with 2500 miles on the clock.

Obviously it’s immaculate but was wondering if there’s anything I need to look out for in the future.

Does this still have problems with the sprag clutch and starting it with a flat battery or was this sorted years ago and I’m talking rubbish 😄.

Anything else?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Knock on wood, mine has been trouble free other than a dead heated grip relay from it being mounted upside down!.
I updated the regulator and starter leads and then went through the bike as if it was having it's first major service due to age.
Congratulations on your purchase!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Although I don't have a GT, my 06 ST has been quite reliable. I did a couple of pre-emptive strikes in the wiring harness and replaced the crap R/R with a Shindengen setup, but I'm thinking Triumph may have resolved most of those issues by 2013. I'll leave it to the GT folks to confirm

As for the Sprag failures, I believe that was all but eliminated in the 1050 motor. And even if it does quit, it is now mounted external to the cases so a relatively easy replacement. Otherwise, the 1050 is pretty bulletproof as long as it has oil, coolant, fuel and gets exercised regularly. With only 2500 on the clock, you have a nearly new bike. Time to make up for the below-average use it's seen so far.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, these are great bikes. The RRs are in a different spot on the GT that gets more air so they aren’t as prone to failure ax the older bikes. The sprag was already addressed above.

My GT has been very trouble free other than normal maintenance so you should be good there. The only thing I haven’t done yet that needs addressing is the rear hub, address that in a timely manner to keep it running smooth and correctly. Search the forum for instructions, I’m doing mine this spring.

if you are still running the stock tires I’d highly suggest swapping them for some new ones, the Pilot Road 5s are incredible and a major upgrade to the bike.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Like others, my GT has been trouble-free in its first 37,000 miles, nothing but routine service and wearable, like tires and brake pads. Mine has the original chain and sprockets despite being ridden through 7 New England winters. As mentioned, get rid of the OEM tires if they are still on the bike, for 2 reasons, they are too old now and they were crap. I have run Pirelli Angels and MIchelin PR4s, different from each other, cannot decide which is better, but either is significantly better than the OEMs.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi, this is a great sport touring bike. Very comfortable for long trips with a pillion and luggage. Every trip I have with this bike, gives me a great smile on my face.
I have done only one repair on my GT - generator stator, when it was on 43000 km. Now I have 87000 km on the clock with no other problems. Only regular maintenance.
You need to know that the fuel filter is inside the fuel pump assembly. This is a little weird, because if the filter is to be replaced, you need to buy a fuel pump assembly, which is expensive. But it seems the fuel filter has long life, because with 87000 km on the clock, I still run on the stock one, and the bike runs great.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mine had a wrong clutch stack thickness that made shifting difficult as well as finding neutral. Sorted by replacing a 2mm steel plate w/ a 1.6mm and putting EBC friction plates plus heavy duty EBC springs. No issue since then.
Motul 300V oil help giving a silk feeling to the shifting.

Fred

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like others, my GT has been trouble-free in its first 37,000 miles, nothing but routine service and wearable, like tires and brake pads. Mine has the original chain and sprockets despite being ridden through 7 New England winters. As mentioned, get rid of the OEM tires if they are still on the bike, for 2 reasons, they are too old now and they were crap. I have run Pirelli Angels and MIchelin PR4s, different from each other, cannot decide which is better, but either is significantly better than the OEMs.
That’s a good point I didn’t think of.

The tires will look fine but they’re going to be 6 years old anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The tires will look fine but they’re going to be 6 years old anyway.
At least 6, verify by the date code on the tire sidewall.

Your ‘13 was most likely built in ‘12 using parts built in late ‘11 or early ‘12. And with tires being something that fits multiple models, Triumph more than likely to stockpile them a bit so I’d bet you’re pushing 8 or even 9 years on tires that were marginal at best when new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased a 2013 GT 7 months ago,it had 13,000 klm and I have done approx 11,000 klm since.The Michelin P4's which were new are now due to be replaced and I purchased some Avon Spirit's which should arrive soon.As the P4's get to the end of their life the front tyre seems to loose its solidity and I have had a couple of front end slips.The gearbox is not as nice to use as my previous Honda CB1300 but I have put in recently fully synthetic oil to see if it improves.The motor run's fairly hot around town as I live in a warm climate in Australia but from previous posts in the forum this is common and as long as your coolant is at the right level it will not be an issue. Overall the bike is a very comfortable mile eater with a very well behaved chassis that does not get flustered on some of our bumpy country roads.This is my second Sprint I had the 2009 Sprint which shared the same motor but a shorter wheelbase.Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On a low mileage example like yours you should be fine for a while if it has been cosseted but the most important Maintenance for a sprint is the for the various rear suspension / swingarm linkages. If you let them get dry and they start to corrode then getting them apart can be a nightmare. Better to make sure they are checked and greased before they seize as it makes the job 10 times easier.

I copied this from another forum as it saves me re-writing it-

“So I have been to see Mr Wood... and am I glad I did!

The first thing I hadn't grasped was that the single sided swingarm requires special care, compared with a regular design.
Because, these maintenance operations are fairly specific, a lot of people, and workshops wont bother doing it, sometimes despite the fact they have charged for it.

The ST tends to be the workhorse of the triumph range accumulating miles throughout the winter on salty roads, where a Daytona 675, 955 or a Triple tends to live a cosseted garage life only coming out in dry weather.

Predictably these tend to then fail, but the design of the swingarm means their removal becomes very tricky and can often lead to irremediable damage to the swingarm.

Putting your bike on its centre stand and moving the back wheel by hand will instantly show play and, according to Clive a very scary number of ST's on the road are being ridden on seized or collapsed bearing. He had told me about it before he'd seen my bike and was able to demonstrate it straight away!

Anyways, check your rear wheel for play! about a millimetre is normal, apparently.

Cheers T552 for pointing me in Clive's direction. Top chap, lives and breathes Triumph, a fountain of knowledge and was more than happy to have me sat nearby whilst he was explaining what he was doing, how and why he was doing it. I cant say I have enjoyed the ride there and back, but I doubt anyone else would have imparted so much knowledge...

Anyone with a Triumph should know this guy.”

IMG_20180202_122855.jpg

IMG_20180202_123430.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 09 ST rear wheel bearing seized with only 25,000 klm. It was an expensive fix but could have been worse if it failed far away from home and my mechanic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought my ST in 2016 less than 6kmiles on it. The bearings in the rear hub dried up and destroyed the axle. Most likely from sitting for long periods of time. Replaced all the bearings in the rear and grease the main roller bearings every two seasons now. Also replaced the crappy R/R. Other than that it's been rock solid after the k miles I've put on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had another look at my bike in the shop.

It's got Battlax 021's on it.

I'm correct in thinking this will be the original fitment and definatly old hat by now?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts