Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the threads regarding the gel seat and being sure to cover it due to heating up from the sun. My question is would a sheepskin cover do the job? I have one that is not on the stock seat (pushed me way into the tank etc) but I am thinking of getting the gel seat and then using the sheepskin again. I know when I was using it the sun would mak eit quite warm but that went away quickly.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I would like to know where to get a sheepskin as several people have commented on how much they improve the comfort level - but NOT one that slides around.

I have the gel seat and to answer your question here is what I do - I carry a bar towel (small towel) and a bungee in one of my panniers - whenever I stop and leave the bike in the sun I cover my portion of the seat (including down the sides) with the towel and retain it using the bungee.... It works great and the seat is cool when I get back on.:D

I learned to do this the hard way - even after reading Dave M's warning, I went out to lunch (I am in Arizona, it is 110 days at the moment) and left the bike in the sunshine - it seriously burned my arse and was red hot ALL the way home - and I am not a fan of riding the Sprint standing up...:p

Now, based upon the thickness of my towel, I would have to assume that a sheepskin would work at least as well at stopping the seat from turning into a flaming arsebroiler as mine did!:eek:

·
Registered
509 Posts
+1 and more on Alaska Sheepskin. Those folks know what they are doing. Any questions, just give a call, they'll steer you right.

I am using a scrap I picked up somewhere. It has worked on my VFR, my Blackbird and now my Sprint. I am still using the stock seat, can't find a gel in stock at the whse, and I can do 500+ mile days with no discomfort to the butt bones. I've ridden in both high 20 degree and low 100 degree weather and won't leave home without it.

When my dealer does manage to locate a gel seat for me, I plan on ordering a new sheepskin from Alaska. Also gonna get rid of those stupid screws and install some Dzuz fasteners.

There is a nefarious plan afoot to remove the entire back half of my exhaust, leaving just the header and then adapting an Arrow Shorty from a Speed Triple. I can then fab some under seat storage and keep me arse cooler at the same time.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Thanks for the link! :cool:

Great site / looking products and pretty cheap too! I am going to order me one. :D
Spring for the "Deluxe" pad. The cheaper ones may come with a seam(the site explains this) and it will always be a place of discomfort (Murphy's Law").

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have an Alaska sheepskin on my new 08 ST OEM seat. It came from my 05 Bandit 1200S that came from my 01 SV650. The sheepskin pad helps to keep the seat cooler in the summer (butt sweat) and warmer in the winter. My 07 T100 Thruxton gel seat has a newer Alaska sheepskin that does not warm up in direct sunlight. If I switch to a ST get seat (which may happen via MADSS), my Alaska sheepskin will immediately sit upon it.

An elastic strap fits under the seat and snaps the sheepskin snugly in place. No shifting, no movement, no problems! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info that's what I was hoping to hear... Mine is also from Alaska Leather and its the 3rd one I have had on 3 different bikes and they work great for comfort. On the Sprint and a Honda ST 1300 they pushed me into the tank with the stock seat, the Honda was cured with a Sargent Seat hopefully the Sprint will be cured with the gel. A Versys I had did the same at first but on that I was able to fold the nose under getting the sheepskin to not follow the seat as it sloped up behind me and all was good.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great info. after riding a hundred miles I feel it is going to take a bit to get used to the seat. Although Im sure i will get used to it but just in case what size seat would fit the sprint (08-09).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Great info. after riding a hundred miles I feel it is going to take a bit to get used to the seat. Although Im sure i will get used to it but just in case what size seat would fit the sprint (08-09).
I think you will have to use the sites instruction or call them in Alaska.
Most of the posters on this subject have moved their Alaska Leather butt pads from bike to bike to bike over the years and even they don't know what their pad originally fit.:D
I remember that my pad was originally purchased for an '85 BMW K100RT.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try amspecialtiesusa.com for a good gel pad covered by sheepskin.
They have a non slip grip material on the bottom and it don't move at all. I have two, for two up riding, and we can't do without them for long rides. Keeps cool in the heat, and warm in the cold.

roadduster2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a fit guide on the website, I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure that the Sprint sheepskin is the pillion pad for other bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I use a sheepskin cover on my gel seat as well. Makes it great for long distance, and keeps the heat from coming through.
FYI, enter "deadsheep" on the Alaskan Leather site, and I think you get 10% off! :cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
First of all, The alaska product is a great product and there is no denying it. I wish them well and continued success.

That said:
Us penny-tech luvers have several alternatives.

About $20USD will get you a sheepskin from Ikea. Its usually enough to do whole seat on a bike. If you want to do Backrests, you might have to buy two. The Ikea skins are long cut and come in natural, a sort of pink, and a sort of blue. I picked natural as the colors didn't come close enough to make it worthwhile. Take your seat off and wrap it with the skin. Trim to desired fit and punch a couple of holes in it so that you can tie it on with an old boot lace. The skin probably will not slide around. The lace is to keep it in place when you are not sitting on it. Thus, a rider can stand on the pegs while at speed and the skin will not blow away.

If you want to test a sheepskin without all the fuss and expense, hie yerse'f down to the big box discount store and go to the automotive section. There should be an icescraper or carwash mitt with a sheepskin thing on it for about $5. Buy that and cut the sheepskin off and open the seam so that it will lay flat on your seat where you sit down. Use the boot lace trick to keep it there. If you like the way it works, get a bigger one from Ikea or a fancy color matched one from Alaska.

My sheepskin stayed on the bike for 10 years and looked terrible after a while. It continued to work well regardless of its looks. Rumor has it that it can be run thru the wash and low heat dried if you like. I never did that as the uglier that it got, the more it tended to ward off evil and keep the poseurs away from me.

It dries well when rained on. Regular rain gear will keep your butt dry if you need to sit on it when it is wet. Rubbing your hand over a soaked skin will squee-gee most of the water out of it and sitting on it will keep it from soaking up water in the rain. Even soaking wet, it rides warm after the intial sitting seems cool.

I found all the claims made for a sheepskin to be true for me. I tried the beads and couldn't make them work for me. Although, plenty of riders swear by the beads.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just scored a Triumph Touring dual gel seat for my bike. Stopped into a local (I'm 1300 miles from home) dealer for an oil change and just casually asked if he had a gel seat in stock. He did, unpacked it and fitted it to my bike. One sit and I was in love. About 1/2-3/4" taller than the standard, which is good for my old knees. A 50 mile ride told me the padding won't pack down and leave me on the seat pan like the standard either. In any case, my trusty sheepskin is still with me.

I don't have anything much more than a single 400 mile day planned till after the 4th so the jury is still out on the long term. The cover on the seat is much less slippery than the standard as well. The foam shape still pitches you a bit forward but with the extra grip you won't be sliding the wedding tackle into the back of the tank. :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts