Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been playing with different braking set ups on my Thruxton to improve braking. Whilst I accept a single front disk has its limitations, I believe I should be able to improve the braking performance further. On the weekend, I saw a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic (single front brake disk with a brembo 4 pot caliper) with a Brembo RCS 15 radial master cylinder. The V7 was used on the track and the rider said the improvement was significant. I did some research and noted that some internet sites sell the brembo m/c RCS 16x18 for the Thruxton. A brake light switch is also needed for activating the light. Has anyone used this set up on their clip-on thruxtons?

My current set up is Beringer 4 pot caliper, EBC floating rotor unit, Pazzo levers, braided lines, Speed Triple 2007 m/c (14 mm vs 11 mm for the OEM unit). The lever feels wooden so I am looking at a radial m/c.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi, Ive not used the Brembo mastercylinder before but have just bought a RGV250 master cylinder (same as thruxton except 16 bore instead of 11) for 20 pounds as i have a pretech 6pot caliper. I think you can get the same effect but save alot. Will let you know how it goes.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Chris

My sense is the Speed Triple 2007 m/c is better suited to a 6 pot caliper - the larger bore means there is too much displacement at the m/c for a 4 pot caliper which is the cause for the wooden feel.

·
Vendor
2,441 Posts
Matt, a 14mm MC is too much for your four pot caliper. I have used the OEM 11mm MC with the Pretech six pot and when bled correctly, there's plenty of feel. I now use the OEM 11mm MC with the CBR600 twin disc setup and it has the same feel as the six pot, but due to the twin discs gives much better braking.

A radial MC will be that much better again, but not if the MC piston is too big for the caliper it's used with. Might be worth going back to the 11mm OEM MC again before going to the expense of a radial even if it's just to see if that size suits you.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Mike. I'll give the OEM m/c another try. Whats the benefit of a radial m/c - improved feel? greater leverage?

PM me if anyone is wanting in a Speed Triple 2007 m/c

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi, i went for the RGV250 master as it was half the price of the speed triple Master. So how much would you be after for it?

Chris.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a pretech from pieman. I am finding quite a challenge to properly bleed. I think the issue is at the caliper end. It seems to improve if a remove the caliper from the fork leg and rest it this way and that letting any microscopic air bubbles rise to the top as in the bleed point.

With the pretech as supplied from pieman it has what looks like organic pads EBC FA 190 from memory. I am trying to source sintered HH pads here in Aus but all queries are answered with a question, what bike does it suit. Mike, or anyone, can you advise how to locate a suitable HH pad.

I am using stock MC (2008 1" bars integrated MC) and was thinking of the brembo route. Still using the standard disc. Same general quest for improvement with a single disc.

Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have a pretech from pieman. I am finding quite a challenge to properly bleed. I think the issue is at the caliper end. It seems to improve if a remove the caliper from the fork leg and rest it this way and that letting any microscopic air bubbles rise to the top as in the bleed point.

Cheers, Simmo
Simmo,

Easier method, just pump your brakes, then just use a zip tie to keep the brake lever compressed until you go back to the bike (overnight or so) and all of the bubbles will work their way out of the M/C...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Aussie, I went with the pretech 6 piston and a master from a speed triple. The 11mm stock master was just not enough and the 14mm from the speed triple was perfect and not as expensive as a brembo.
I also went with a Galphor rotor. Bike stands on it's nose. Great feel.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
All of my Pretech's came with EBC FA190HH pads.

/Mike

[EDIT] And BTW... beware of Chinese-made Brembo knock-off's on eBay. Not real.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Rob,

Can you advise what part no or reference the Bendix pads are. I have searched the various sites here in Aus and its the same as for EBC. They only allow search for motorcycle and type, no search results for pretech, or for any other aftermarket calipers that I can see.

Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Rob,

Can you advise what part no or reference the Bendix pads are. I have searched the various sites here in Aus and its the same as for EBC. They only allow search for motorcycle and type, no search results for pretech, or for any other aftermarket calipers that I can see.

Cheers, Simmo
Hello Simmo

Bendix MRR 183, as fitted to my Pretech 6-pot caliper.

Rob

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have a pretech from pieman. I am finding quite a challenge to properly bleed. I think the issue is at the caliper end. It seems to improve if a remove the caliper from the fork leg and rest it this way and that letting any microscopic air bubbles rise to the top as in the bleed point...
My favorite method is to attach a syringe to the caliper and push the fluid up through the system.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Aussie, I went with the pretech 6 piston and a master from a speed triple. The 11mm stock master was just not enough and the 14mm from the speed triple was perfect and not as expensive as a brembo.
I have exactly this setup with the stock rotor and the EBC pads that BellaCorse sells. Bought the 14 mm Nissin MC for 15 bucks (used) on ebay. I use a speed bleeder screw on the caliper and the zip tie handlebar trick overnight. I can lock the front wheel at 100 km/h. How much more stopping power does a person need ?

BTW, the MRR pads are virtually impossible to find in North America.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.