Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to buy some luggage. I got miffed struggling with yards of straps tying my luggage on the last time I went on a trip.

I like the look of the K-drive bags. I need something easy to take on and off as access to my bike hidey hole is tight so Corbin etc are not an option.

Are any of you torque junkies using K-drives?
What are your thoughts on ease of use? luggage capacity? build quality? Value for money?

Thanks, I refuse to part with £hundreds for the Triumph bags.

I have used throw over bags but like the idea of lockable bags and no straps. :???:

·
Banned
557 Posts
Try Rapid Transit soft bags. They use buckles, look ok and are easy to take off. I think I paid only about $75 for a set last summer. I think they are only availble through a dealer as they don't retail to the public.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've had K-Drive bags for a year or so and am very satisfied with them. They aren't the biggest bag on the market, but they are very well made and styled with velcro, and strap and buckle closure. They have a very secure and lockable quick detach mount. Even the mounting brackets are chrome and they look good even with the bags off....not unlike the Triumph Erector Set looking bag mounts. Bigern

[ This message was edited by: bigern2300 on 2007-02-03 12:01 ]

·
Registered
74 Posts
k-drives have two sizes and two styles in the smaller size. Have the smaller and they work well. see the thread at the other site re: k-drive bags.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2007-02-02 17:46, bigern2300 wrote:
I've had K-Drive bags for a year or so and am very satisfied with them. They aren't the biggest bag on the market, but they are very well made and styled with velcro, and strap and buckle closure. They have a very secure and lockable quick detach mount. Even the mounting brackets are chrome and they look good even with the bags off....not unlike Triumph Erector set looking bag mounts. Bigern
On their web site, it looks like you can also mount them with Easy Brackets.

·
Registered
896 Posts
40910, We run K-Drives on several of our rental bikes and can report that they are functional, work very well as designed, don't collapse and have stood up to the rigors of many around Australia month long rental periods. They are also very good value for the money.

Doug, there is no need to run any form of quick release bracketry such as Easy Brackets or Ghost Brackets as the K-Drives have an ingenious attachment system that takes literally one second to remove or re attach.

There are pics available at www.aussiebiker.com.au/html/speedmaster.html
Davo

[ This message was edited by: Aussiebikerdave on 2007-02-04 22:51 ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info folks. How much can the K drives hold? I usually carry just enough for one bloke for a week. ie clean shreddies, shoes, jeans a couple of T shirts and a warm fleece. No hair products as I havn'e got any, I read a lack of hair is worth 1 sec on 0 to 60 times.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2007-02-03 12:00, dougl wrote:
On their web site, it looks like you can also mount them with Easy Brackets.
The wording on the website sounds like that IS the quick-release system they employ. The problem with softbags using Easy/Ghost brackets is that I've never found any soft bags that won't sag if much weight is put in them (unless owner goes to considerable trouble re-inforcing them on the inside to the point they are nearly hardbags, which reduces what they will carry).

The party asking might also want to consider LeatherLyke hard bags which are lockable and quick-detach. A bit more than K-drive but still less a lot less than Triumph bag$. Well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
896 Posts
On 2007-02-05 04:47, Fortynineten wrote:
Thanks for the info folks. How much can the K drives hold?
40910, thats like asking how long is a peice of string! If I knew the capacity in litres I would certainly tell you but how much they hold depends on you level of personal hygine. A mate of mine goes for a week on a bike with just his wet weather gear and no change of clothes. he reasons that one pr of undies lasts him 8 days. Second day turn them inside out, 3rd, back to front, 4th inside out and back to front. He finds that by the fouth day the skid marks have dried off so he can repeat the process before the offensive stench denies him access to gas stations pay counters and roadside diners. Davo :-D

·
Registered
74 Posts
if that's all you need to carry, the smaller bags will do.
As I ride it daily to work, I carry the necessaries, tools, towel, misc items, flash light, socks, gloves, Frog Togs rain suit and what ever in the left bag which gives a little more weight to the kick stand side with plenty of room left over. Usually keep the right side bag empty for the occassional stop at the grocery store on the way home....
The lock and quick release works well and they have a carry strap on the top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts