Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked one up dirt cheap and want to know if anyone has any setting suggestions. I KNOW THE TUNEBOY IS BETTER. But its not what I have right now and I can't afford one right now.

I did put new GPR 3-1-3 pipes on and need to readjust. I have a TFI on my Suzuki and really like its simplicity and seat of the pants it felt like it did a good job bringing up the low end torque. I'm looking for initial setting advice from anyone running one. Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like the word on Tune Boy but I don't have the desire to spend that kind of money on one. What program are you talking about? I have seen something on e-bay advertised as a GPR program (I think that's what is is called) it may or may not be all that Tune Boy is. I dont know. I still wonder if a Power Commander for a Speed Triple is cost effictive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The TFI is a ECU inline modifier. It changes the amount of fueling at different levels along the RPM profile. It works like the PowerCommander and GPR fueler in that it is a piggyback system. The GPR is in fact almost an identical setup. It is a manual adjust "seat of the pants" type box in that you have the ability to adjust to suit your add-ons and do not hook up a laptop to it. The piggyback boxes have taken a lot of flack on this site but are very common (and liked) in the Japanese bike world as well as the automotive industry. I have one on a Suzuki and my riding buddy has one on his KZ1000 and with some patience they can do wonders but in all fairness are not as efficient at freeing up power as a tuneboy ECU flasher. But you can adjust all of you RPM ranges to find what you think is the best setting without having to find a dyno or constantly download setups. You can put the box on you tank, go for a two hour ride and tune to what feels like the best settings. Its a little old school but so am I. The issue is that you have to think about an injected bike as if it were carburated and really know how to tell if more or less fuel is needed throughout your RPM range and load on the engine. What I'm saying is that its not for novices with no understanding of combustion engines. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks JHriflles. I'm still at a loss. I would like to Tune Boy my ECU but I think I will have to wait for price to drop significantly before I buy one new or used . Tune Boy/Power Commander/Gpr/ Ect. They all can help when at least changing pipes but I don't want to spend that cash for such a limited use. A less couple HP from a Arrow tune is better then too lean. The Triumph low mount Arrow tune is too rich even for an after market slip on-even using the stock headers. I still would rather run rich than lean. The Arrow 3 into 1 tune I got from the dealer is to rich for m,y M4 slip on. Anyway , I guess I will still have to live with what I got.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Keep in mind that all this ECU mod stuff may void the warranty? Be careful you don't fry your valves by running too lean.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Looks to me like a TFI on an S-3 is akin to using a framing hammer to adjust your Movado watch.
Why anyone would bother with anything other than a Tuneboy on a bike it's available for is beyond me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love how the thread deteriorated into a "tune boy or die" banter so quickly. I SAID I KNEW IT WAS BETTER. But the cheapest I've found one is 450. I paid 100 for my TFI. I also spent 5 years tuning the FICHT injected Evenrude/Bombardier outboard Engines and know a thing or two about how a high strung ECU injected engine thinks and operates. We were adapting similar boxes for use on bass boats so owners could tune them themselves out on the water.

Very true about warranty though. And as I said before, unless you comfortable with understanding HOW to tune they're not the choice for you.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
JHrifles, I guess you could download TuneBoy (it's free) and stock tune + a few a aftermarket ones from TuneBoy site (tunes are free too).

Then compare the tunes in the TuneEdit software to get an idea on rev & throttle ranges where more fuel is needed and where a reduction is in order.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Good luck leaning out the mixture...the TFI only ADDS fuel.
It looks like this is bigger with the V-Twin guys than with sportbike riders. Maybe that explains why they always smell over-rich when they blubber by. J/K

I am confused by your "if you know HOW to tune" statement,only because the TFI website indicates this is intended for people who DON'T know how to tune, and in fact they seem pretty honest about it not being effective with remapped systems etc. If you want a bargain, you can probably get as much performance gain by having a dealer download a proper map for your app.

Other than that, sorry I have absolutely no usefull information to add such as starting points etc. Martin R's idea might help, or perhaps a PCIII is similar enough that you can start with that.

FWIW, the Tuneboy is going for $323US right now, a little more than I paid in a group buy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good luck leaning out the mixture...the TFI only ADDS fuel.
It looks like this is bigger with the V-Twin guys than with sportbike riders. Maybe that explains why they always smell over-rich when they blubber by. J/K

I am confused by your "if you know HOW to tune" statement,only because the TFI website indicates this is intended for people who DON'T know how to tune, and in fact they seem pretty honest about it not being effective with remapped systems etc. If you want a bargain, you can probably get as much performance gain by having a dealer download a proper map for your app.

Other than that, sorry I have absolutely no usefull information to add such as starting points etc. Martin R's idea might help, or perhaps a PCIII is similar enough that you can start with that.

FWIW, the Tuneboy is going for $323US right now, a little more than I paid in a group buy.
WHERE?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts