Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday that Corbin makes a single and 2up seat for the Tbird. Has anyone tried the one piece 2 up seat?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a Corbin "King and Queen" dual seat on my Moto Guzzi. It was way better than the stock seat - way better. Some find Corbin too firm, but it worked pretty well for me. But I will also have to say that the Guzzi Jackal's stock seat was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. Yet the person who bought my Jackal rides it on multi day-long rides totally comfortable with the stock seat. I sold the Corbin separately because she didn't want it. Seat comfort is very individual.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a corbin on my sport bike and it is firm too. I wouldnt say its more comfortable, and its shaped sort of weird, but it does lessen strain.. I can ride twice as long.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the dual touring seat and like it a lot. Easy on the butt compared to the stock seat. My wife likes it as well. I haven't taken it on any 500mi trips but it feels better than stock.

Bill

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
A bit of a warning...if you DO consider one, make sure and discuss with them the fact that the Tbird's intake duct is part of the seat and any changes to that WILL affect the intake. I pulled mine off thinking it would make more power with more air. Wrong. I thought there was little if any change till many months later when i put it back and thought wow ! I realized i had lost a lot of torque with the duct off.. It didn't seem like it when i first did it, but as i have noticed with many things i've changed and not just with bikes, changing BACK is often when you really notice the difference. So I'm just trying to make you aware of this. If you happen to get one and there is a difference in the underside or even has lost the duct completely, i suggest trying the stock seat a month or so down the road and see if you notice anything. I was shocked at how much better it ran with the duct in place. So any change to the intake path can cause havoc with the bike's output.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

I have a Corbin on my Tbird. I'll post a pic. For me the seat is much more comfortable! I hated the stock seat because it so flat, almost like a cafe seat.

Now I warn you... take the time to call Corbin and discuss the option, because they are endless.

I wanted one that was brown leather with a smooth seat, (no seams). The seats are very firm but they recommend several hours in the saddle to allow breakin.

not the greatest picture, but you can see that it is a deep seat. The tank is off because I'm in process of painting my Tbird.

Love it!

hagatha

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have just installed a dual tour seat; the difference is amazing even before the 1000 mile break-in. I had a long haul seat previously which was larger than the regular seat but not a lot more comfortable. The thing my wife noticed was the Corbin is slightly shorter than the long haul so she slumps back a bit to the back rest; other than that we are both very pleased with it.
I had to modify the mounting bracket as it was no where near aligning with the hole on the rear fender. A small price for the big gain.I also think that when the passenger foot boards arrive and I put them on the m on the bike the benefits of the seat will be even more. I'll keep folks posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I noticed yesterday that Corbin makes a single and 2up seat for the Tbird. Has anyone tried the one piece 2 up seat?
Back in May or so I got the dual tour saddle with a single backrest (I can switch it between the front and back) and in terms of comfort there is no comparison between it and the stock seat.

I will say, however, that the stock seat positioning was perfect for me, but after 50 - 75 miles it I was ready to leap off the bike from tailbone pain. No such issue with the Corbin and I've ridden a couple thousand miles or so on it now with several 200+ mile days. It does seem that I'm sitting ever so slightly higher, and a little closer to the tank, but it's such a minor difference there's no way I'm returning the seat for a rework of any kind.

From ordering online to receiving it, it took just about 3 1/2 weeks to make it to Texas.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been looking at getting a Corbin solo like Hagatha's set up but the only place i can find that distributes them in australia is way over the other side of the country and they want nearly $700.00 au and a 12 week wait to get it to me.That seems a bit too much to me and i worry that i wont get what i want and the lack of a duct concerns me some-what. I've tried to email them direct but get no reply. I've started looking into getting my stock seat re-done

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered my dual tour....4 weeks lead time. :eek:

Glad I didn't wait until Spring.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have been looking at getting a Corbin solo like Hagatha's set up but the only place i can find that distributes them in Australia is way over the other side of the country and they want nearly $700.00 au and a 12 week wait to get it to me.That seems a bit too much to me and i worry that i wont get what i want and the lack of a duct concerns me some-what. I've tried to email them direct but get no reply. I've started looking into getting my stock seat re-done
wallacej,

I'm not sure how it's done where you live but, get the corbin. Don't worry about the duct. :) You are right it took me several calls to corbin to ensure I would get what I wanted.

I feel the stock seat is way too flat. The corbin cradles your a$$ nicely. I've only got a bout 400 of the 1000 breaking miles but I can tell the difference already. Order directly from corbin if you can.

I'm out of town right now and I'll post more picks when I get home.

hagatha

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been looking at getting a Corbin solo like Hagatha's set up but the only place i can find that distributes them in australia is way over the other side of the country and they want nearly $700.00 au and a 12 week wait to get it to me.That seems a bit too much to me and i worry that i wont get what i want and the lack of a duct concerns me some-what. I've tried to email them direct but get no reply. I've started looking into getting my stock seat re-done
Mine here in the US is almost $600 for the dual tour so $700 with shipping and duty is probably close. Go on the Corbin website and email them and see how much it will cost. I think you will find you may be able to save $50-100. But the shipping has to be a killer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

I dug out the receipt... mine was $468 (total)...

I ordered directly from Corbin.

I specified, no seams in the seat... & Bomber jacket leather (brown)

hagatha

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas I will try another Email to them. Considering our dollar has been the same if not more than the $US lately I reckon I could get a better deal direct.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info fellas I will try another Email to them. Considering our dollar has been the same if not more than the $US lately I reckon I could get a better deal direct.
LOL, yeah, wait a year and it will be $6 Australian for the seat & shipping :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

here are the pic I promised

I see no issues with the Air Duct shown here.

Try these email addresses (contact Jessica first)

Jessica Gonzales
Sales Representative
2360 Technology Pkwy
Hollister, CA 95023
800-538-7035 X 230
fax 831-634-1059
[email protected]

[email protected]
Roxanna Gallegos
Production
2360 Technology Pkwy
Hollister, CA 95023
800-538-7035 X 286
fax 831-634-1059

hagatha

·
Registered
182 Posts
hagatha, the paint is looking good! Need some tank badges back on there! Also did you consider putting a white strip down the center? You could try it with removable vinyl.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got the tracking email for my seat from Corbin....:drool2...but now I have to wait for FedEx to deliver it...which is the worst part :popcorn

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I see no issues with the Air Duct shown here.
I wasn't saying there would be as far as an opening back there. I was referring to whether or not the seat duct was re-used on the corbin. I removed mine and as i said in the past, when i put it back on months later i was surprised how much torque i had lost without it, even tho there was now more room for air. The duct apparently causes a smoother less turbulent flow that allows more air to flow even with less space. So if the corbin is sans duct, you are probably losing power. Just ride it for a while them put the old seat on and see if thats the case. Maybe for whatever reason you won't notice. I did tho, and quite a bit, which is why i mentioned it. The tricky part, and i have noticed this with all things in life, is that the initial change often goes un-noticed, but it's the change BACK where you really notice the difference. When my duct was off for several months after a while i began thinking i remembered the bike being stronger. But i had no idea if it was true or not and forgot i had made that change. When i read someone else saying the same thing i reinstalled it and was shocked to find there was that power i had felt i was missing ! So just ride it for a few months then swap the old seat back for a ride and see if you notice it. Takes all of 2 minutes to swap so no reason not to. If the corbin seat DOES have the seat duct bolted to it, then as rosana rosanadana used to say, "nevermind". :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for going to the trouble of getting me those email contacts Hagatha, I've tried them both a couple of days apart after you posted but still no joy.I'll try again one more time and I could try ringing them but It will probably cost an arm and a leg from over here!.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts