Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think most people have opted to go two teeth larger in the back (any more and you'd need a longer chain.) I haven't done it myself, but I've read that going smaller in the front may cause your chain to become intimate with your swingarm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
im suppossed to be going to one smaller on weds. i can let you know how it goes. if it goes poorly youll see it up for sale in the classifieds. i went down one on my bonnie and enjoyed the slight difference so i figured id give this a shot. i dont need more top end, id rather have it down low. i did notice on the bonnie getting to 100 took a little more, closer to 7k than the 6k it would be at before.

·
Registered
116 Posts
From my understanding, on the 1050, if you go down in the front AND up in the rear you dont have the grinding problem. Personaly I'm going 1 down and 2 up sometime within the next month.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
2006-Speedy
Several of us here have gone with the 17 tooth front and it really perks up the response. Top speed is not a real concern to us but it goes down too 144.56mph @ 9,100 rpm vs. stock gearing which pulls 153.07mph @ 9,100 rpm. (If you can hang on)

This gearing puts you at 63.54mph @ 4,000rpm in 6th which is a good deal for spurting through traffic etc.

As far as the swingarm is concerned there is a thing called a chain adjuster and if you watch it and use it carefully there is no problem . HOWEVER, I think I will go to a 44 rear (2 teeth up from stock) and back to an 18 front just for fun and less stress on the chain. Plus I will have more options on gearing.

Gear it down-you will be a Hayabusa eater for sure in the traffic lite Grand Prix!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I'll let you know what the actual (GPS recorded) speed of a 17/45 combo next time I get out on a sunday ride. I think the 18/45 topped out around 137mph. That was at my 9800rpm redline.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went to the 17T front the first week I bought my 06 S3. I thought the gearing was a little to tall for my taste. I totally LOVE the 17T front and I've had NO problems with the swing arm after nearly 2,000 miles. Like a previous post stated, you just have to keep the chain properly adjusted. It is a simple and fairly quick mod to change out the front sprocket. GO FOR IT! :-D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've seen pictures of the chainguide that's located on top of the swingarm that was worn through. There were also some marks on the swingarm. Was after 10000km (7000m). I'll try and locate them if I find them I'll post them.

According to a Triumph dealer here it goes for all T5 bases Triumphs. He advisses to go larger at the rear 'cause of the swingarm. Even with a full chain and sprocket replacement he won't put a smaller sprocket up front even if you would pay him $100 to do so.

[ This message was edited by: 203MPH on 2007-03-04 05:51 ]

G

·
I'm sorry. i'm neew to the Speed Triple, (2001 UK) but you must be sick. i carn't imagen why you would need to make the accelartion faster? unless you are dragin?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I went to 18/45 with 110 links, and have a 19T on there now, but can go back to 18 with a chain adjust. I like the 19/45 though.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I highly recommend the 17/45 after today's ride. The bike has a hellova lot more pep and there is no bogging at any RPM. Although, I have to shift more often to keep the revs down. However, for riding around here in traffic-filled suburbia, its good to keep the revs up and be loud so people see and hear you. Plus, the shortened gear ratio lets me wick in and out of traffic easier.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
My info for a 17/45 combo (THANKS SPARTI) SEZ THE TOP speed AT 9,100 RPM is 134.92mph. At 4,000rpm in 6th it gives you 59.31mph.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i've always rocked the 1 down 2 up on every bike. although, this is the most powerful bike i've owned and i have not felt the need to alter that power. yet...

·
Registered
104 Posts
stupid question but i have a 2000 triple. and need to replace the chain and sprockets. what is the stock gearing? my dealer told me the book lists 2 diff setups. i was looking to go 2 up in rear. so that would be what? 18front 44 rear? if i do the 18/44 setup how many links do you need to run 110? thanks.

mike

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The stock gearing on an '00 is 18/43. 18/45 is a good combo, and if you go with 110 links, you can slap on a 19T front for high speed cruising.

·
Registered
78 Posts
19/45 would be very similiar to running 18/42 (down one in the rear) "for high speed cruising" and you wouldn't have to alter you chain. why would you bother gearing the bike to 45 in the rear if you're going to turn around and spoil that gearing by going up to 19 in the front?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Because I didn't like the 18 on the front for long high speed trips. But I have the option of putting it back on for ripping around town with a chain adjust. So it's win win. :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts