Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
976 Posts
Yeah, i dunno about those kits. I have read they leak and aren't a reliable solution and that worries me. As for the wheels, those are too ugly to pay that kind of $ for. But even if they weren't i'm barely going to be able to afford a T120 and will neeed to find a great deal to be able to, so dropping another 25% of the bike's cost on wheels is almost comical.
Can’t argue with that. I tend to keep my bikes a long time so I try to spread my mod spending out over time so it doesn’t hurt as much. A feeble rationalization to be sure. Alpina wheels entice me but I’ll live with the OEM spokes for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
my 18 T120 is way more comfy compared to my traded 18 mag wheeler which is similar to the speed or street twin for seating. many have sealed their spoked wheels for cheep or had it done for them. i went the spendy route with a beautiful high polished forged aluminum Alpina tubeless wheels, an eze direct install!! those canyon wheels look good but not as good as wires + are more costly than my alpinas that used ALL the stock parts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just an addl 2 cents... Im 6'1' 225. The furthest I went on a T120 was a 3 hr trip each way. It was more than comfortable but nowhere near as comfortable as my Heritage Softail. I do have an awesome custom seat on the bike and makes life beautiful. The stock seat IMO just killed me and was one of the worst I've been on..

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I own a T120. I have ridden the Speed Twin. The ST is very nice. The additional power is noticeable, and the engine seems to spin up more readily. Brakes are nice. I didn’t ride it enough to speak to suspension.
That said, at my age, comfort far outweighs outright performance. My T120 is plenty powerful for me. I’ve upgraded to Aplina tubeless rims with Avon tires, and have T100 rotors. That made a big difference in handling. I do wish the brakes had a bit more power, initial bite and feel. Suspension is fine for me. And I can ride the T120 farther than the ST, comfort-wise.
I read that the 2021 Bonneville engines have lighter internals. Maybe that will make the feel closer to the ST.
The ST is great, but for me it’s a second bike. The T120 is a primary bike.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I read that the 2021 Bonneville engines have lighter internals. Maybe that will make the feel closer to the ST.
Hmm, where did u read that? I just looked at the HP/torque specs on the triumph site and if anything they are slightly down from what i recall first seeing, at least the HP. I recall 80 HP and now it says 79. I would think lighter internals which is how the ST gets it's bigger numbers certainly wouldn't take it down.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yeah, i dunno about those kits. I have read they leak and aren't a reliable solution and that worries me
Just wondering where you've read this, its not my experience or the vast majority of many people on here who've successfully sealed their wheels with absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Speed Twin is a bit less comfortable and more squirrely at high speeds on the highways. Much more fun on the twisties, though. The shorter rake angle and smaller wheel facilitate that. I've had the ST a year now and I like it, but if I had it to do over I'd have gotten the Street Twin. More stable. Less power, but you only see that power on the ST higher on the tach. It will absolutely bolt (in sport mode) if you put the spurs to her. If I didn't have to have tubeless tires I would have looked closely at the T120.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Speed Twin is a bit less comfortable and more squirrely at high speeds on the highways. Much more fun on the twisties, though. The shorter rake angle and smaller wheel facilitate that. I've had the ST a year now and I like it, but if I had it to do over I'd have gotten the Street Twin. More stable. Less power, but you only see that power on the ST higher on the tach. It will absolutely bolt (in sport mode) if you put the spurs to her. If I didn't have to have tubeless tires I would have looked closely at the T120.
I like the street twin too, but 5 speeds and 900cc kinda scares me because i'm coming off a 1700 Tbird and i think the street twin might just be too small of a downgrade. And the weight might be a bit light for long rides at speed. I'm surprised to hear u say the street is more stable, but i guess the rake and bigger wheel would make up for the lighter weight. Actually i can't even recall the weight because i haven't looked at the specs since they came out in '16. But If they built a 1200 version of the street i'd be all over that. Give it the street cup's paint scheme and all you'd have to do is tell me which nut and it'd be gone before you could blink. (or cringe 😄)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like the street twin too, but 5 speeds and 900cc kinda scares me because i'm coming off a 1700 Tbird and i think the street twin might just be too small of a downgrade. And the weight might be a bit light for long rides at speed. I'm surprised to hear u say the street is more stable, but i guess the rake and bigger wheel would make up for the lighter weight. Actually i can't even recall the weight because i haven't looked at the specs since they came out in '16. But If they built a 1200 version of the street i'd be all over that. Give it the street cup's paint scheme and all you'd have to do is tell me which nut and it'd be gone before you could blink. (or cringe 😄)
😆 I'd cringe if I didn't agree with you 100%. I still remember the day I saw that Street Cup at my dealer and thought that was the coolest bike I'd seen in a while. I too came from a 1700 Thunderbird (Storm) and I still regret selling it. Most of my commute is downtown so I thought I wanted a more nimble bike for getting in and out of traffic, but I really, really miss its heft on the highways. It was a very nimble bike (for its size) in the mountain twisties too. The ST has some giddy-up, but it seems like it's hidden higher in the tach. And coming from the 800-lb Storm, I feel like I'm going to break the Speed Twin sometimes. Miss the Storm so much I've even been thinking about the Rocket as of late.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Yeah, I feel similar in getting rid of the Tbird. I still have it but i need to downsize for too many reasons to go into. But on the highway none of the smaller twins will come close. I do a trip p central california every summer thats 500 miles to visit family, and i am rarely under 90 MPH except when traffic gets thick and i get boxed in. It will cruise all day at 100 MPH with ease and with the air, pipe and mapping mods it will roll on from 90 like mad. I will miss that horribly. But being only once a year i can't justify it when there are a bunch of other reasons to downsize. By the way, i too think the street cup is one of the most beautiful triumphs ever made. Only my Tbird is to my eye equal, and TBH i think I may even think the cup is prettier. It's sheer perfection visually. I still consider that model now but being out of production is a negative and one of the reasons the Tbird is going. Plus i would have to put regular bars on it which would mean customizing the cables, wiring and brake lines to extend them. Too much trouble at this point in my life.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hmm, where did u read that? I just looked at the HP/torque specs on the triumph site and if anything they are slightly down from what i recall first seeing, at least the HP. I recall 80 HP and now it says 79. I would think lighter internals which is how the ST gets it's bigger numbers certainly wouldn't take it down.
No HP increase. Lighter crank, blah, blah, blah. It’s mentioned in the video...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
kinda like when hardly rubber mounted the porkster engines, the better brakes were downgraded as well as other things. among all the changes hope the still only two functional piston bimbo calipers are more than a name change. my 18 T120 OE dual fronts are just OK, but the SINGLE 4 piston brembo on my 19 street scrambler is actually BETTER!!!

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
The T120 peg lowers and moves it forward a bit. The forward bit doesn't suite due to it lessening the distance between the foot peg and shifter. so I am looking into lengthening the shift lever. I want to have the original distance between the foot peg and shift lever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've ridden both, bought the Speed Twin. Fits me like a glove, and I've rarely felt so immediately comfortable on a bike (but I've also been exclusively riding sport/sport touring bikes for 35+ years). My wife went with a T-100 (T-120 has more power than she wanted) and hates the feel of the ST. Biggest differences between the ST and the T-120:

1. Seating position. VERY different. You'll either love or hate the ST's more cramped/forward/sporty position. Footpeg position is considerably different, too (higher and further back - relatively - on the ST)
2. Engine. Although they're roughly the same motor, they have very different characteristics. The ST's unit is tuned very differently and has so much engine braking that around town I almost never use the brakes unless I need to come to a full stop.
3. Suspension. Here there's less of a clear winner since this is where Triumph really cut corners. The ST's potential is really let down by the non-adjustable front fork. The more basic suspension "fits" the T-120 better. The ST encourages bad behavior and the suspension really isn't up to the task.
4. The footpegs. Again. The T-120's pegs are RIGHT WHERE I want to put my legs when I come to a stop. I either need to set my feet in front of or behind the pegs while stopped and, to me, it's incredibly awkward.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Speed Twin
16 Posts
The T120 peg lowers and moves it forward a bit. The forward bit doesn't suite due to it lessening the distance between the foot peg and shifter. so I am looking into lengthening the shift lever. I want to have the original distance between the foot peg and shift lever.
View attachment 754176
Keep me posted on what you do to lengthen the shifter peg.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts