Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the speed's power, how did you feel about the difference? Either one have a nicer ride in any way? Which would you pick if both had the same power and why?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I have a speed twin and have not ridden a T120. I went with the Speed Twin because it weighs less and runs tubeless tires. I like tubeless because in a pinch they can be repaired with out removing the tire.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get that and in fact the wheels are the only reason i was considering the ST. But i'm looking for opinions on how the T120 feels compared to the ST aside from power or any features like wheels to se if i would be compensated in any way for the less desirable spoked wheels.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
"....less desirable spoked wheels..."

Why less desirable? Every bike I ever had had them. I've never had a flat.

We buy bikes based on their looks, hoping everything else works out. That's why Triumph makes so many models of their basic 1200cc platform.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"....less desirable spoked wheels..."

Why less desirable? Every bike I ever had had them. I've never had a flat.

We buy bikes based on their looks, hoping everything else works out. That's why Triumph makes so many models of their basic 1200cc platform.
Well, the key word here is "I've" meaning you. I HAVE had flats and was abkle to fix them on the spot thanks to cast wheels. Ther potential to have this happen in the middle of nowhere is a reality and major fear for me. Key word there being "me". And no, i don't want to try the spoked tubless mod, i just want cast wheels. It shouldn't be necassary to even go there, as i know what i want and need just as you do. I just want opinions on the ST vs T120 ride. But at this point i guess thats not going to happen.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My first intention was to consider the Speed Twin. But then I sat on one at the dealer and knew that I could not be comfortable with the rear set pegs. I sat on a T120 and felt instantly comfortable. Whether or not I will still be comfortable after a few hours riding remains to be seen, but I am anxiously looking forward to getting my T120.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a 2018 T120 for a year before trading it against a Speed Twin which I still own.
The T120 engine has a totally different power delivery to the ST and it’s a superb bike. It’s very comfortable and capable of 500+ mile days out with ease, stopping just for petrol (not comfort breaks) when required. If I only undertook solo journeys or carried a pillion it would be my go to choice.
The majority of my motorcycling is done within a group and the ST with its superior handling and noticeably greater performance allows it to hold its head high amongst more powerful bikes and doesn’t leave me exhausted like the T120 did at the end of the day did from trying to get it through bends at speeds it is more than capable of but requires noticeably more effort to get it to hustle through them.
However (for me) the ST is not as comfortable and it’s character tends to incite a heavy hand on the throttle more often than not along with all the consequences that entails! If you’re not in a hurry the T120 would be a good choice but if you want to be in one the ST would be the one to go for.
The T120 has a dial that goes up to ten but the ST has one which goes to eleven. If you only need a bike to get you to nine a test ride is the only way to find which one suits you better. If I had the room to have both I would.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had my eyes on a Speed Twin. Booked a test ride on a Speed Twin & T120 back-to-back. Month later bought a used T120 for almost half the out-the-door price of a new Speedy. No regrets!

From the seat of these pants, the power differences honestly felt less than my expectation from the spec sheet. Far more noticeable were the lighter weight of the ST, stiffer suspension, much sharper turn-in, and better brakes. By all technical metrics of a bike, the ST is the "better" of the two, yet that didn't translate into smiles per mile. Let me tell ya I was shocked that I found myself preferring the T120 overall for it's stability, more relaxed ergos and larger gas tank for long trips, plus that blessed center stand & heated grips which (used to) come stock. I've since sealed my spokes, threw in a TEC cam & a DNK tune, and any power I once felt lacking is a thing of the past. Maybe one day I'll treat the bike to some tubeless Alpinas or if I can ever hunt down a dang cast wheel set with an 18" double rotor hub for the front, but for now the sealed spokes work well enough 10k+ miles later.

Did I mention it was almost half the price? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
My first intention was to consider the Speed Twin. But then I sat on one at the dealer and knew that I could not be comfortable with the rear set pegs. I sat on a T120 and felt instantly comfortable. Whether or not I will still be comfortable after a few hours riding remainsed to be seen, but I am anxiously looking forward to getting my T120.
I did the same thing. The more aggressive seating position of the ST is a bit too painful for my aching body.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Why are so many saying a center stand is essential? On most bikes I primarily use just the side stand.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Why are so many saying a center stand is essential? On most bikes I primarily use just the side stand.
It helps in a lot of situations like working on the bike and filling the tires. It’s worth whatever it costs. Before you spend money on a grab rail, think about whether a passenger needs it and what you may do about luggage and luggage racks. I took the Triumph rails off and replaced with Givi to accommodate the luggage I wanted.

·
Registered
2016 Bonneville T120 & 2012 Tiger 800
171 Posts
" i just want cast wheels." Well TB, then please don't get a T120. A T120 without wire wheels is not a proper T120. Suit yourself - there are plenty to choose from out there.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Can't give you a comparison between the 2 as I have ridden a modern t120. i agree that the foot pegs on the Speed Twin is a bit high and rearward so..... I put T120 foot pegs on it. Quite an improvement. The only complaint about that is the shifter peg is a bit close to the foot peg.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I rode both and bought a T120 (my second)... I found the riders box more relaxed and most important, I have a size 13.5 foot, I couldnt comfortable shift the Speed Twin and the dealer had no solution..

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
976 Posts
I rode both and bought a T120 (my second)... I found the riders box more relaxed and most important, I have a size 13.5 foot, I couldnt comfortable shift the Speed Twin and the dealer had no solution..
It’s not the ideal bike for the larger rider. I was getting my bike serviced when the Speed Twin first came out. The dealer had a few of them parked in the service area next to a couple of Scrambler 1200’s. I threw a leg over one of the Scramblers but I didn’t bother sitting on a Speedy. I could see how folded up I would be on one. Sharp bike though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now THATS the kind of responses i was looking for ! Thanks. Seems like i thought the T120 is more what i need. But the flat tire issue still looms large. Anyone know of simple solutions like that "ride on" stuff (tho heard some bad things on that) or other side of the road fixes?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, i dunno about those kits. I have read they leak and aren't a reliable solution and that worries me. As for the wheels, those are too ugly to pay that kind of $ for. But even if they weren't i'm barely going to be able to afford a T120 and will neeed to find a great deal to be able to, so dropping another 25% of the bike's cost on wheels is almost comical. Thanks for the suggestions but i already knew about them and crossed them off the list. Maybe i can be convinced on the tubeless kit but i don't know how after reading about them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts