Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love to see/hear from anyone that put a vintage patent badge on in place of the OEM one.

Seems the vintage ones are larger than the OEM modern ones???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which one did you get and where did you get it from?

Would love to see a photo of it when it's installed

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I had one on the Scrambler. Old badge off, new one on and held in place with hig temperature sealant. Never moved in 3 years. Got it from eBay in the UK for about 3GBP

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought a black on brass generic one from a stall at Kempton Classic bike jumble last weekend. Will probably fit it on Monday and post up a pic.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
189 Posts
No, I think he's talking about the triangle badge in the middle of the alternator cover.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like a brass ones as well. The vintage ones seem like thy would be too big to fit in the spot on the stator cover???

·
Registered
92 Posts
'Classic' ie 50-60's ones fit, I know as i've fitted one to my thruxton (after i polished the cases as the lacquer finish failed.) Vintage meaning pre 1931 in the uk biking world no idea if they fit - but hey coventry triumphs are the true triumph!!!

Local auto shop sold me double sided car badge tape that holds it on, i bought the 'correct' rivets cut the heads off and glued them on. Looks good, would look even better if i'd managed not to put it on wonky!!! would post pic but currently don't have one to hand and the bike is in storage as i'm working overseas (with no bike!!!!) - but yes they fit.

·
Vendor
2,384 Posts
The Meriden patent badges fit fine. If you want to use the original twist rivets, remove the cover, drilled three tiny holes, put a dab of clear silicon on each of the holes and then use the twist rivets to attach the plate. Clean around the holes on the inside of the cover and put a dab of silicone there too. Mine has been on there for over two years, still looks good and no oil weep.

Also worth noting, if you clean the plate too often the print will eventually be rubbed off and you'll be left with a gold or silver plate depending which one you fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Mine still looked good as new after 3 years, but then I'm not what you could call a bike polisher.

·
Registered
92 Posts
t'other cool old school thing to add after your patent badge is the 'worlds fastest motercycle' decal as fitted to 60's bonnies.
http://www.domiracer.com/decals_triumph.html
scroll down there and you'll see it fits on the tank t'other side of filler cap - also fitted to my bike. this transfer and patent badge (with rivets) i got from fleabay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts