Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, see the picture, see the little cut wire? Anyone know what this is and if it is important? I'm taking the bike in this week but figured I'd ask. Thanks for any info.

...Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
It does look important, it goes to your generator/alternator. power wire? ground wire? either way, grab a butt connector and some wire crimp pliers and reconnect it until you get it into the shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll do that. Someone told me they thought it might be the kickstand sensor (something that doesn't let you start your bike when the kickstand is down) but I guess the best thing is to reconnect and see if I can't start the bike with the kickstand down anymore.

I've only had the bike for a few days and I hadn't noticed that wire being cut when I purchased. But I was told some people cut this kickstand sensor because they want to start the bike while the stand is down. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Moderator hat - Welcome bradastan, mikymike311 and [email protected]!$O|\| - please take a moment to revisit your USerCP and complete your profile with your Triumph year/model under the favorite bike field and also your location. This serves as instant identifier when you are discussing questions relating to your model - those identifiers appear under your screen name in the left margin.

... Why and one would want the bike to start in gear with the kickstand down is beyond me?
The point is not to have the bike 'not start' with the kickstand down, but to kill the engine - so you can't ride off with the stand down.

As for the wire - definitely nothing to do with the kickstand.

Since it comes from the generator has to be associated with that. The only two connections (per wiring schematic) to the alternator are the output and the field coil connection (+12V with ignition on)
Your alternator should not be generating power if that field voltage is not present.

Do you have a voltmeter?
Check the volts across the battery with engine running & see if you have charging voltage
Check the end of the cut wire (harness end) and see if there is battery voltage on it when you turn on ignition

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way it was explained to me, some bikes have a sensor and won't let you start the engine while the kickstand is down, sorta like having to put the clutch in on some bikes.

However, I think this was the cause of my other problem. I had been running fine for only a short while (10-20 minutes) and then the bike behaves like the electrical system is dead. Then I put it on a charger and it's great for another 10-20 minutes.

I soldered and wrapped the wire this morning and so far, no more problems running out of electricity.

This pretty much explains everything. Thanks for everyone's input!

..Brad

·
Registered
207 Posts
Moderator hat - Welcome bradastan, mikymike311 and [email protected]!$O|\| - please take a moment to revisit your USerCP and complete your profile with your Triumph year/model under the favorite bike field and also your location.
I'll take a guess at what it is looks like, my 97 T509 I sold last Fall. :D Not sure if thats the one I sold or not but I sure miss her.

As for the broken wire I'm pretty sure it is the charge lead off the alternator like Decosse Stated.

The sensor for the kick stand is located below the motor and is attached to the front of the kick stand.

Sticks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just took another look at the photo, Not my old bike shifter is configured differently and so is the upper motor mount.

What year is that bike Bradastan?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
bradastan, looks like sabotage to me. The wire is not really exposed to any wear under normal conditions.

I guess only the previous owner knows the why and who if you have only had bike for few days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike is a 2001. I really think it was the root cause of my problems which was the electrical system failing as soon as the battery was drained of all power while riding. After charging, it would run great until the battery was drained again. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts