Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ont that is under $500. The Tom-Tom Rider looks like it is a good one. I did a search but it came up with nothing.

Anyone got any pics of one mounted on a thruxton?

Thanks...tg

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I put my eTrex Legend in a tank bag when I need it.

1. I have no business looking at a GPS while moving.
2. If I put a GPS mount on my Thruxton, one of the RATs would probably burn my bike to the ground.

But thats just me... ;)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I use a Palm Pilot iQue with built-in Garmin GPS. I can't say enough good things about it. Besides being a GPS, you have a full-functioning PDA to store your travel info, phone numbers, etc. in a true pocket-size package.

On my Bonnie, I just slip it into the clear top pouch of my tank bag. It was a time saver down in Deal's Gap/Maggie Vally.

/Mike

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know it is over your budget, but I went with the Garmin Zumo...

got it from www.gpsnow.com and it came with a RAM mount for the bike and a mount for the car... I use it religiously... works wonders and has helped me find roads I never would've found otherwise...

Here is a pic with it mounted:

And because I'm shameless... here is an action shot...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty big. Thanks for the pictures...it's always nice to see how/where other people set things up.

I just bought the apple itouch and it has maps on it but my only problem is where I will be riding I will most likely not have wi-fi access. I am hoping that I can find an apple app that has maps that you can download. If not I plan on taking a picture of a map of the area I will be in and just have it on the itouch. I will probably not mount it and have it either in my tank bag or in my coat pocket.

Thanks! tg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anything that you bolt to the bars is going to look out of place. IMHO anyhow.

I would look for something touch sceen, water proof, and that has a display with backlighting as well as reflective so you can see it in direct sunlight. I have an old IPAQ with TomTom that works pretty good in the car and is much smaller than the one that was posted by hobbes80. It works pretty good in my tank bag, I recall the touch screen working passibly. I used it once to verify my speedometer against the calculated speed of the GPS.

I had a difficult time wrapping my brain around a GPS specific to the Thruxton, to the point that I considered that you might have been trolling for flames. :p

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a difficult time wrapping my brain around a GPS specific to the Thruxton, to the point that I considered that you might have been trolling for flames.
Yea, I understand but it would be mainly be for when I am driving thru the mountains in North Georgia and North Carolina. I ended up getting the tom tom 130s at a really good price and will put it in my tank bag. I just wanted to see what others have done. Sometimes you see something you never thought of. It would be nice if you could lay it flat some how on top of the idiot lights. This way it wouldn't stick out so far.

·
Registered
592 Posts
...is much smaller than the one that was posted by hobbes80.
The Zumo is pretty good sized, there is a lot of truth to that... but it is waterproof (ridden through pouring down rain with it powered and have had NO issues) and it is also workable while wearing gloves.

It looks huge, I know.. but if you look at the second picture, it is a lot less obtrusive than you think, works well on the bike, doesn't hang up too high, and is clearly visible without risking your neck while riding.

There are a lot of folks with GPS on their bikes... check it out over in the Gear and Gadgets section: http://www.triumphrat.net/gear-and-gadgets/

That is where I got the info about this GPS and a bunch of different options that people have chosen. I was against doing a GPS on my Thrux as well, until my fiance bought a bike and the two of us kept trying getting lost trying to find new places to go riding together. So, yeah, it may be slightly out of styling for the Thrux, but to each their own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Gps

I use a Mio 230, here's a link; http://www.mio-tech.be/en/gps-navigation-device-Mio-C220-specifications.htm. I got it about a year ago for a trip I was going on and have used it in the car, on the bike, as a handheld and on plane trips just for fun. I hacked mine for use as a media player and have some games on it as well. Fell free to pm me for hacking info. I keep mine in a tank bag with a clear plastic pouch on top, its not the easiest to see but works. I have all U.S. and Canada maps on an 4gb SD card and still have room for the hack and 2-3 movies depending on compression ratio. I think I paid about $100 for mine at rat shack on sale. I'm currently working on a mount that will screw in the mirror mount and running a 12v to 5.5v for constant power. The best thing about the hack that I'm using is that it is totally reversible with a hard reset of the device. It has a 3.5 inch screen and is about 3/4-1 inch thick and has a stereo headphone jack. My only real complaint is that it lacks bluetooth audio, I have a moto bluetooth adaptor that I can use with it but once the mount is finished I will have to come up with something else for voice navi.

Hope that helps, Troy

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
That's pretty big. Thanks for the pictures...it's always nice to see how/where other people set things up.

Thanks! tg
That is exactly why I got the Quest II - very compact, and very effective. Most of the time, I just stick the suction cup window mount to the glass on the tach and go!

The only thing it lacks on the Zumo for my needs is a touch screen. I can live with that for under 200 bucks. No need for bluetooth and a crappy mp3 player...

What I like the most is that you can plan a route on the computer, upload it, and it will give you the directions. Most of the cheap systems (in it's price range) on the market will not do that.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
...try getting lost you may find yourself

Actually, I used to think the same way, until I tried a GPS, and discovered that it allowed me to find the really great roads (and start enjoying them) much faster. Time is too limited to waste it in frustration and bewilderment.

Maybe you should take your own advice, Legend! :p If you like getting lost - GET LOST! :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
maybe your time is wasted with 2000 posts, not with finding roads to ride. i guess you would rather post than ride.
As a Moderator, I imagine he has a lot of posts because of people like you that can't seem to stay on topic and would rather flame someone for their personal preference then make a valid post.

OnTopic:
The thing that made me spend the extra $$ for the garmin over the TomTom or the lower-end Garmin was the wealth of knowledge that was provided on the zumo forums (www.zumoforums.com). The posts seemed like they more depth and assistance in the other forums.

Not to mention huge numbers of shared Points of Interests, routes, and other things like that... such as a route that has all the covered bridge in PA or a collection of Historical points of interest. While I do enjoy riding just for the sake of riding, I like to take it as an opportunity to become more knowledgeable about the history of my area... we have a lot of battlefields and historical markers that are interesting to learn about, and they aren't always easy to find...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well since i was the one who started this thread i feel like i should post an update. i found a gps unit. i got the tomtom 130s for $150. it has everything i need and a lot of stuff i don't need. i got it mainly for work in a pathfinder but was looking for something that i could take on a trip to colima, mexico on my bike. i will be traveling from atlanta to colima to see my girlfriend. Colima is located at/near the very bottom of mexico which will be close to 2000 miles. I figure since i will be in a different country that it might be a good idea to have a little help.

i usually ignore posts that are negative. who cares what some guy says behind the comfort of his little computer screen.

·
Premium Member
17,482 Posts
i usually ignore posts that are negative. who cares what some guy says behind the comfort of his little computer screen.
I'm sorry tgleaton, but posts like this just can't be tolerated. Please read The Art of Flame War by Scum Dzude and give us a 1,000 word report by tomorrow. Be prepared to give a demonstration afterwards. :p

·
Registered
188 Posts
Be careful

Traveling through Mexico from top to bottom?

Sounds like trouble... A friend of mine did that a fews years ago and there were numerous official road checkpoints along the way. Many of the local government officials were corrupt and my friend (non Mexican - gringo) had to pay many bribes along the way to avoid major delays and hassles. Once he even had to give a guard his sunglasses to avoid hassle. If you are from Mexico originally and speak the language, then you probably won't have the some troubles.

Protect your GPS from theft and corrupt officials.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Paper maps, and a few minutes on Google Earth/ Google Maps before heading out is all you really need.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts