Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm supposed to be on my way to Malibu but instead...

My left side peg keeps loosening, swinging down and locking up my rear brake. Needless to say it's not a pleasant experience. No matter how tight I make the bolt after fifteen minutes or so it losens right back up. Any suggestions for keeping it tight?

[ This message was edited by: jonkull on 2007-03-11 14:13 ]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jon,

Not sure on the 73, but on the 77 there are two small steel pins that go in the peg near the bolt hole, and locate in corresponding holes in the frame mount. They are approx 6mm in diameter, and approx 8-10 mm long. They supposedly stop the peg from rotating. They may be missing, or worn, or the holes worn from vibration.

I had a similar problem (worn with age), and I made the holes in the pegs and the frame slightly bigger in diameter, cut the smooth end of an old drill bit, and expoxy'd the "new" pins into the pegs. Large washer under the nut stops the pins from vibrating out through the frame holes. Use blue Loctite on the large peg mount bolt/nut.

Pete

[ This message was edited by: OzBloke on 2007-03-11 17:18 ]

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you don't mind Jon I'd like to sneak in and ask if any one has a trick to keep the kickstart rubber from working it's way off. I tried a few things to no avail. It's a new one, but the OEM one did the same. It's probably me. I start it on the side stand. I don't like being perched on it like a bird on the center stand. :)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If you're starting on the side stand, the rubber is the least of your worries. That technique will almost certainly eventually snap the lug off of the frame. I start with the bike on the wheels, balancing it.
If you slip your foot off the pedal at the bottom and allow the kicker to rebound on it's own, you will loosen the stop pin in the inner gearbox cover, as well as flinging the rubber off. When kicking, keep your foot on the pedal through the down stroke and follow it back up. Don't remove your foot from the pedal until it is up to the stop.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The sidestand lugs were inherinantely weak on '63-'67, 650cc machines, and regularly broke off with owners starting their machines on the sidestand. Triumph improved the lug from '68, however I would never start my machine on the sidestand. Either use the centre stand or stand astride your machine and balance on your left foot.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Flash,

Try this.....

Take the kickstart rubber off. Get some thin sheet steel (eg 1mm thick), cut and bend over the kickstart pedal to form a tube. Work the rubber back on over the tube. Use hypodermic needle & syringe to inject contact glue, super glue or rubber cement between the kickstart rubber and the steel tube.

The steel tube rotates freely on the pedal, and won't work over the knob at the end of the pedal.

Copper or aluminium (yep that's how we spell it here) is no good for the tube, as they distort while you're working the rubber back on.

Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts