Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Anyone installed the fuel gauge

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  gcliff23 
#1 ·
I've heard how the fuel warning comes on early, and the long way to tweek things to be more accurate but not sure I'd want to start messing with that.

So, has anyone installed the optional fuel gauge? Whats involved in the install and is it at all accurate (my Sprint gauge would read half full when it had 20% left and would then nose dive as you raced to the pump).

#2 ·
Ztolley,
To answer your question, no I haven't done the fuel guage.
I did however pop my tank off and adjust my float so it comes on at about 150 miles instead of 80 miles.
It ain't hard and was the first thing I did to my rocket.
you CAN do this with no problem.
Only advice I'd give is get a paint pen from wally world, mark where EVERY hose and line comes out on the bottom of your tank. THEN start taking it apart. (you'll be glad you did when you're putting it back together.)
Also I better mention, don't just pull the fuel pump out, use a coat hanger or zip tie or something to raise the float to the top of the hole the pump comes out , EASE the float out FIRST, then the pump just comes out easily. Bend the float rod about 3/8 inch down ( like an old toilet float) and put it back together. Fill er up, go for a ride and see where it comes on now..
See, no big deal.

#3 ·
I'm sure if you are a little more confident with bikes its easy, but I've never as much as changed my own oil, even though I'm sure its easy.

I may take a look though, but if I've never played with parts before then I'm not gonna want to mess with my pride and joy, still shiny, rocket

#6 ·
same here
I fill at 160 miles, by then I am ready to stop anyway if I am on a all day ride. My fill light comes on at 140-150 miles. It take about 4 and 1/4 gal to fill up. I would rather mount something else on my bars bysides a fuel guage. Maybe a cup holder. hehe

odie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.