Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eye on doing this and wanted to know if you had any battery/electrical issues that I should know about

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I don' think I'd do it without upgrading the electrical system, although I do believe HIDs draw less current than standard lamps. The rectifier Triumph uses on most their bikes is the standard shunt type that converts excess current to heat. Most motorcycles use these, although there are a few exceptions. The problem with them is that they deliver about 13.5 volts max and little or nothing at idle. I checked my voltage with everything off and got 12.7v. When I started the bike (lights on, of course), it dropped to 12.5v. Without an ammeter, I can only guess that the battery is not getting much of a charge at idle (if anything). When I give it a rev, it just up to 13.5v, which is OK, but not great. The result of all this is that my headlight dims at idle.

I don't know what impact the reduced voltage would have on HIDs. I just haven't paid attention to the circuitry. Maybe nothing at all.

I am doing something about my rectifier, though. I have a MOSFET type rectifier off a Yamaha that I'm installing. I tested it yesterday and was getting 14v most of the time. It did drop a little at idle (13.8v), but the bike was cold and idling real slow. I'll post up my results when I finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts