Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving for Afghanistan next week. Will be gone for one to two years and have a brand new (less than 200 miles) Bridgestone Battlax rear tire 160/70-17 if anyone in the Houston area NEEDS it.

I will not ship it....sorry, don't have time for such things.

Send me a PM if you want it with a day and time that you can come and pick it [email protected] Almeda Genoa Rd between Mykawa and Cullen.

Puff

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need someone to watch your bike while you're gone?
Big Al, there's nobody I would trust more with my TBS than you however, I've already got it taken care of.

I've made a tank of ethanol free gasoline and put fresh oil into the engine. It's going to be kept under cover in my dad's garage and run once a month for ten or fifteen minutes. He's also going to spray some WD-40 into the exhaust periodically.

Hopefully that's enough to keep it in good shape.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
and run once a month for ten or fifteen minutes.
Do NOT do this!!! All you do is introduce moisture into the oil, along with combustion byproducts. They combine to produce acids which eat your crank bearings, cams, piston walls...

If you run it, run it for at least an additional half an hour after it reaches normal temperature. This gets the oil hot enough for long enough to boil off all the water vapor. Otherwise, just let it sit untouched. Don't even crank it over as this just scrapes off the oil film. Cap off the exhaust pipes, crankcase vent and air intake to prevent moisture from entering, too.

Others will no doubt disagree...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense. I'm going to leave it with my brother who also rides bikes. Do you think it would be best if he were to just drive it once a month?

I'm going to put fresh full synthetic oil in it this weekend and since I've got a good Ballistic battery my only concern was the fuel. Ethanol absorbs moisture which is why I removed it from the fuel that I'm going to pour into the tank during storage and I added some Marine Sta-Bil.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Maybe drain the tank and carbs, and run a little thin oil around inside the tank to line it.

I agree, it's better not to run it. Also try to get the tyres off of the floor, maybe by placing a thin piece of timber board under them if you don't have a centre stand.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Good Luck Puff......

One further piece of advice, be careful and come home safe. You'e not exactly going to the vacation capital of the World.........

·
Registered
187 Posts
My two cents:

Add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel tankand then fill it all the way up.
No need to run it so often. As others here have said, better to leave it alone unless it's going to be completely warmed up and ridden. Once every 6 months is fine, provided that when you had shut it off, you (or someone) had ridden it long enough to have it completely up to operating temperature, and then shut off the fuel petcock and continued to ride/run the engine until it's last gasp. This is most important. Leave the float bowls dry and the carbs won't gum up from old fuel evaporating.
Lube the chain once before you leave, pump up the tires to about 45psi, connect a battery tender and you should be golden.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Maybe it's just bad karma, but I've had problems with batteries left on battery tenders for long periods of time. I prefer to remove the battery from the bike and store it in a heated space. A basement works fine. I charge it every month or so.

The carbs have drain screws in the bowls. After it runs out of gas there is still some left in the bottom of the bowls. It's pretty easy to drain them out, too.

I leave the tank full with Stabil treated fuel. No ethanol is a bonus.

Have someone keep an eye on the tire pressures, keep them near the max pressure, and it doesn't hurt to move the bike every once in a while to distribute the flat spots.

And, yeah, stay safe over there!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
1 Block all orifices to keep pests out (air filter, exhausts).
2 Get the bike off the ground - stops your tyres being ruined.
3 Leave the tank full to the top with additive in fuel (you already did that).
4 Remove the battery.
5 Cover the bike with a good breathable dust cover and put a moisture collector under it (don't know exactly what they're called over there but they're usually a bag full of moisture absorbing stuff that sucks up condensation).
6 Be careful, keep your eyes peeled, and be just.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts